Dr. Maini has received consulting fees and honoraria (less than $10,000 each) from Roche and Centocor and has received consulting fees (more than $10,000) from Chugai Pharmaceuticals Ltd. Dr. Maini receives royalties from The Kennedy Institute of Rheumatology Trust for an anti–tumor necrosis factor patent. Dr. Maini is a coinventor of the coadministration of tocilizumab and methotrexate, for which a patent is pending. Dr. Maini previously owned stock in Johnson & Johnson, of which Centocor is a subsidiary. Dr. Maini is Non-Executive Director of Domantis and founder of Synovis Ltd. Dr. Taylor has received honoraria (less than $10,000) from Centocor. Dr. Emery has received consulting fees (less than $10,000) from Roche. Dr. Kishimoto holds a patent for tocilizumab.
Double-blind randomized controlled clinical trial of the interleukin-6 receptor antagonist, tocilizumab, in European patients with rheumatoid arthritis who had an incomplete response to methotrexate
Version of Record online: 31 AUG 2006
Copyright © 2006 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis & Rheumatism
Volume 54, Issue 9, pages 2817–2829, September 2006
How to Cite
Maini, R. N., Taylor, P. C., Szechinski, J., Pavelka, K., Bröll, J., Balint, G., Emery, P., Raemen, F., Petersen, J., Smolen, J., Thomson, D. and Kishimoto, T. (2006), Double-blind randomized controlled clinical trial of the interleukin-6 receptor antagonist, tocilizumab, in European patients with rheumatoid arthritis who had an incomplete response to methotrexate. Arthritis & Rheumatism, 54: 2817–2829. doi: 10.1002/art.22033
- Issue online: 31 AUG 2006
- Version of Record online: 31 AUG 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 MAY 2006
- Manuscript Received: 5 OCT 2005
- Chugai Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- 5Interleukin 6 and its receptor: ten years later. Int Rev Immunol 2004; 16: 249–84..
- 7B cell stimulating factor 2/interleukin 6 is a costimulant for human thymocytes and T lymphocytes. J Exp Med 1989; 557: 417–35., , , , , , et al.
- 9Human interleukin 6 is a direct promoter of maturation of megakaryocytes in vitro. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1989; 8: 3546–9., , , , , .
- 13JAK/STAT but not ERK1/ERK2 pathway mediates interleukin (IL)-6/soluble IL-6R down-regulation of Type II collagen, aggrecan core, and link protein transcription in articular chondrocytes: association with a down-regulation of SOX9 expression. J Biol Chem 2003; 278: 2903–12., , , .
- 20TEMPO (Trial of Etanercept and Methotrexate with Radiographic Patient Outcomes) study investigators. Therapeutic effect of the combination of etanercept and methotrexate compared with each treatment alone in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: double-blind randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2004; 363: 675–81., , , , , , et al, and the
- 21Therapeutic benefit of blocking interleukin-6 activity with an anti–interleukin-6 receptor monoclonal antibody in rheumatoid arthritis: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, dose-escalation trial. Arthritis Rheum 2002; 46: 3143–50., , , , , , et al.
- 22Long-term safety and efficacy of anti–interleukin 6 receptor antibody (MRA) in patients with rheumatoid arthritis [abstract]. Arthritis Rheum 2003; 48 Suppl 9: S126., , , , , , et al.