The contents of this article are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM), the Office of Dietary Supplements (ODS), the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) or the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Efficacy and mechanism of action of turmeric supplements in the treatment of experimental arthritis†
Version of Record online: 30 OCT 2006
Copyright © 2006 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis & Rheumatism
Volume 54, Issue 11, pages 3452–3464, November 2006
How to Cite
Funk, J. L., Frye, J. B., Oyarzo, J. N., Kuscuoglu, N., Wilson, J., McCaffrey, G., Stafford, G., Chen, G., Lantz, R. C., Jolad, S. D., Sólyom, A. M., Kiela, P. R. and Timmermann, B. N. (2006), Efficacy and mechanism of action of turmeric supplements in the treatment of experimental arthritis. Arthritis & Rheumatism, 54: 3452–3464. doi: 10.1002/art.22180
- Issue online: 30 OCT 2006
- Version of Record online: 30 OCT 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 JUL 2006
- Manuscript Received: 23 FEB 2006
- NIH (NCCAM and ODS). Grant Number: 5-P50-AT-000474
- NIDDK. Grant Number: 5-R01-DK-067286
- 1Alternative treatments for arthritis. Atlanta: Arthritis Foundation; 2005. p. 231–33..
- 2Natural health, natural medicine. New York: Houghton Mifflin; 1995. p. 381..
- 10Curcumin derived from turmeric (curcuma longa): a spice for all seasons. In: BagchiD, PreusHG, editors. Phytopharmaceuticals in cancer chemoprevention. Boca Raton (FL): CRC Press; 2004. p. 349–87., , , .
- 17Estrogen inhibits T-cell mediated arthritis and RANK-mediated bone resorption in rats with SCW-induced arthritis [abstract]. J Bone Miner Res 2002; 17: S387., , .
- 29Food and Drug Administration. Guidance for industry: estimating the maximum safe starting dose in initial clinical trials for therapeutics in adult healthy volunteers. http://www.fda.gov/cder/guidance/5541fnl.pdf.