Drs. Solomon and Schneeweiss have in the past received research funding from Merck and Pfizer to study the safety of selective cyclooxygenase 2 inhibitors; however, neither company funded this study.
Simultaneous assessment of short-term gastrointestinal benefits and cardiovascular risks of selective cyclooxygenase 2 inhibitors and nonselective nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs: An instrumental variable analysis
Article first published online: 30 OCT 2006
Copyright © 2006 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis & Rheumatism
Volume 54, Issue 11, pages 3390–3398, November 2006
How to Cite
Schneeweiss, S., Solomon, D. H., Wang, P. S., Rassen, J. and Brookhart, M. A. (2006), Simultaneous assessment of short-term gastrointestinal benefits and cardiovascular risks of selective cyclooxygenase 2 inhibitors and nonselective nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs: An instrumental variable analysis. Arthritis & Rheumatism, 54: 3390–3398. doi: 10.1002/art.22219
- Issue published online: 30 OCT 2006
- Article first published online: 30 OCT 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 AUG 2006
- Manuscript Received: 10 MAY 2006
- 4Adenomatous Polyp Prevention on Vioxx (APPROVe) Trial Investigators. Cardiovascular events associated with rofecoxib in a colorectal adenoma chemoprevention trial [published erratum appears in N Engl J Med 2006;355:221]. N Engl J Med 2005; 352: 1092–102., , , , , , et al, for the
- 7Food and Drug Administration. Advisory board documents. URL: http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/cder05.html#DrugSafetyRiskMgmt.
- 8European Agency for the Evaluation of Medicinal Products. European Medicines Agency concludes action on COX-2 inhibi-tors. London, 27 June 2005. URL: http://www.emea.eu.int/pdfs/human/press/pr/20776605en.pdf.
- 12Food and Drug Administration. PreSAP. In Cardiovascular safety and risk-benefit assessment. URL: www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/05/briefing/2005-4090B1_03_Pfizer-Celebrex-Bextra.pdf.
- 13Food and Drug Administration. AD 97-02-001. In Cardiovascular safety and risk-benefit assessment. URL: www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/05/briefing/2005-4090B1_03_Pfizer-Celebrex-Bextra.pdf.
- 14Multicenter Study of Perioperative Ischemia (McSPI) Research Group and the Ischemia Research and Education Foundation (IREF) Investigators. Efficacy and safety of the cyclooxygenase 2 inhibitors parecoxib and valdecoxib in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass surgery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2003; 125: 1481–92., , , , , , et al, for the
- 22Instrumental variables. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press; 1984., .
- 23Identification of causal effects using instrumental variables. J Am Stat Soc 1996; 91: 444–55., , .
- 38Econometric analysis. 3rd ed. Upper Saddle River (NJ): Prentice Hall; 1997. p. 740–2..
- 40Ad Hoc Committee on Practice Parameters of the American College of Gastroenterology. A guideline for the treatment and prevention of NSAID-induced ulcers. Am J Gastroenterol 1998; 93: 2037–46., and theDirect Link:
- 41University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada. Therapeutics initiative: COX-2 inhibitors update. Therapeutics Letter 43, November/December 2001 and January 2002. URL: http://www.ti.ubc.ca/pages/letter.html (accessed 3/12/03).
- 48Modern epidemiology. 2nd ed. London: Lippincott; 1998. p. 205., .