Impact of the diagnostic label of osteoarthritis on perceptions of disability and willingness to help a parent in African Americans and whites
Article first published online: 30 NOV 2006
Copyright © 2006 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis Care & Research
Volume 55, Issue 6, pages 913–919, 15 December 2006
How to Cite
Mingo, C. A., McIlvane, J. M. and Haley, W. E. (2006), Impact of the diagnostic label of osteoarthritis on perceptions of disability and willingness to help a parent in African Americans and whites. Arthritis & Rheumatism, 55: 913–919. doi: 10.1002/art.22352
- Issue published online: 30 NOV 2006
- Article first published online: 30 NOV 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 MAR 2006
- Manuscript Received: 17 OCT 2005
- 1Arthritis Foundation. Osteoarthritis brochure. 2003. URL: http://www.arthritis.org/conditions/onlinebrochures/Osteoarthritis_brochure.pdf.
- 2National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. Osteoarthritis handout. 2002. URL: http://www.niams.nih.gov/hi/topics/arthritis/oahandout.pdf.
- 3Centers for Disease Control. Special focus: healthy aging, preventing the disease of aging. National Center for Chronic Disease and Prevention and Health Promotion, Chronic Disease Notes and Reports 1999; 12: 1–16. URL: http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/publications/cdnr/pdf/cdfall99.pdf.
- 5Psychosocial aspects of rheumatic disease across the life span. In: WegenerS, BelzaB, GallE, editors. Primer for clinical care in rheumatic disease. Atlanta: American College of Rheumatology; 1996. p. 15–9., .
- 6Guideline for the management of pain in osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and juvenile chronic arthritis. In: APS clinical guidelines. 2nd ed. Glenview (IL): American Pain Society; 2002., , , , , , et al.
- 16Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Prevalence and impact of arthritis by race and ethnicity: United States, 1989-1991. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 1996; 45: 373–8.
- 17Racial differences in social network experience and perceptions of benefit of arthritis treatments among New York City Medicare beneficiaries with self-reported hip and knee pain. Arthritis Rheum 2002; 47: 366–71., , , , , , et al.
- 19Expectation and outlook: the impact of patient preference on arthritis care among African Americans. J Ambul Care Manage 2005; 28: 41–8., , .
- 21Intergenerational family roles of aged black Americans. Marriage Fam Rev 1991; 16: 311–30., .
- 29Family Caregiver Alliance. Fact sheet: selected caregiver statistics. URL: http://www.caregiver.org/caregiver/jsp/content_node.jsp?nodeid=439.