A patient-centered perspective on surgery avoidance for hip or knee arthritis: Lessons for the future
Article first published online: 31 JAN 2007
Copyright © 2007 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis Care & Research
Volume 57, Issue 1, pages 27–34, 15 February 2007
How to Cite
Ballantyne, P. J., Gignac, M. A. M. and Hawker, G. A. (2007), A patient-centered perspective on surgery avoidance for hip or knee arthritis: Lessons for the future. Arthritis & Rheumatism, 57: 27–34. doi: 10.1002/art.22472
- Issue published online: 31 JAN 2007
- Article first published online: 31 JAN 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 MAY 2006
- Manuscript Received: 4 JAN 2006
- Canadian Institutes for Health Research. Grant Number: MT-12919
- Arthritis Society of Canada. Grant Number: 97-;083
- Physicians' Services Incorporated Foundation. Grant Number: 95-47
- Canadian Orthropaedic Foundation, and the University of Toronto Dean's Fund. Grant Number: 00026896
- Women's College Hospital at the University of Toronto
- Postdoctoral fellowship from the Centre for Research in Women's Health, Sunnybrook
- Women's College Health Science Centre at the University of Toronto
- 13Toronto Arthroplasty Health Services Research Consortium. Perceptions of, and willingness to consider, total joint arthroplasty in a population-based cohort of individuals with disabling hip and knee arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 2004; 51: 635–41., , , , and the
- 19Belief, attitude, intention, and behavior: an introduction to theory and research. Reading (MA): Addison-Wesley; 1975., .
- 20The health belief model and personal health behavior. Health Educ Monogr 1974; 2: 324–473..
- 24Qualitative inquiry and research design: choosing among five traditions. Thousand Oaks (CA): Sage; 1998..
- 25In-depth interviewing. In: GubriumJF, HolsteinJA, editors. Handbook of interview research: context and method. Thousand Oaks (CA): Sage; 2002. p. 103–19..
- 26Qualitative research methods for the social sciences. Needham Heights (MA): Allyn and Bacon; 1995..
- 27Phenomenology, ethnomethodology and interpretive practice. In: DenzinNK, LincolnYS, editors. Handbook of qualitative research. Thousand Oaks (CA): Sage; 1994. p. 262–72., .
- 28Qualis Research. The Ethnograph v5.0 for Windows. London: Sage Publications Software; 1998.
- 29Struggling for a self: identity levels of the chronically ill. Res Sociol Health Care 1987; 6: 283–321..
- 30Stigma: notes on the management of spoiled identity. Englewood Cliffs (NJ): Prentice-Hall; 1963..
- 31The extended self: illness experiences of older married arthritis sufferers. Res Sociol Health Care 2001; 19: 261–82., , .
- 37Social learning theories of identificatory processes. In: GoslinD, editor. Handbook of socialization theory and research. Chicago: Rand McNally; 1969..
- 38Social learning theory. Englewood Cliffs (NJ): Prentice-Hall; 1977..
- 39Validation study of WOMAC: a health status instrument for measuring clinically important patient relevant outcomes following total hip or knee arthroplasty in osteoarthritis. J Ortho Rheumatol 1988; 1: 95–108., , , , .