Medical care expenditures and earnings losses among persons with arthritis and other rheumatic conditions in 2003, and comparisons with 1997
Article first published online: 27 APR 2007
Copyright © 2007 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis & Rheumatism
Volume 56, Issue 5, pages 1397–1407, May 2007
How to Cite
Yelin, E., Murphy, L., Cisternas, M. G., Foreman, A. J., Pasta, D. J. and Helmick, C. G. (2007), Medical care expenditures and earnings losses among persons with arthritis and other rheumatic conditions in 2003, and comparisons with 1997. Arthritis & Rheumatism, 56: 1397–1407. doi: 10.1002/art.22565
- Issue published online: 27 APR 2007
- Article first published online: 27 APR 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 JAN 2007
- Manuscript Received: 19 SEP 2006
- Arthritis Program
- Division of Adult and Community Health
- National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- 14Estimating the cost of illness. Hyattsville (MD): National Center for Health Statistics; 1966. Health Economic Series no. 6..
- 15The economic cost of illness revisited: Health Economics Series no. 6. Soc Secur Bull 1979; 39: 21–35., .
- 16The economic costs of illness: a replication and update. Health Care Fin Rev 1985; 7: 61–80., , .
- 17The economic burden of musculoskeletal conditions, 1995. In: PraemerA, FurnerS, RiceD, editors. Musculoskeletal conditions in the United States. Rosemont (IL): American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons; 1999. p. 139–62..
- 18Economic burden of illness in Canada, 1986. Chronic Diseases in Canada 1991; 12:May-June., , , .
- 19Access Economics. Cost of arthritis to the Australian community: The Arthritis Foundation Submission to the Industry Commission Inquiry into Charitable Organizations. Canberra: Arthritis Foundation of Australia; 1994. p. 14–22.
- 25Sample design of the 1996 Medical Expenditure Panel Survey Household Component. Rockville (MD): Agency for Health Care Policy and Research; 1997. AHCPR publication no. 97-0027..
- 26Sample design of the 1997 Medical Expenditure Panel Survey Household Component. Rockville (MD): Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; 2000. AHRQ publication no. 01-0001..
- 27Estimation procedures in the 1996 Medical Expenditure Panel Survey Household Component. Rockville (MD): Agency for Health Care Policy and Research; 1999. AHCPR publication no. 99-0027., , .
- 28SAS Institute. SAS v9.1. Cary (NC): SAS Institute; 2002–2003.
- 29The economic costs of alcohol and drug abuse in the United States. Rockville (MD): National Institute on Drug Abuse; 1998. NIH publication no. 98-4327, Appendix B., , .
- 30A comparison of alternative models for the demand for medical care. J Bus Econ Stat 1983; 1: 115–26., , , .
- 32US Bureau of the Census. Statistical abstract of the United States, 2006. Washington: USGPO; 2006. p. 482.
- 33Changes affecting the Employment Cost Index: an overview. Monthly Labor Review 2006; 129: 3–5..
- 35Multiple jeopardies in the California labor market: the conjoint role of disability, race, gender, and age. Final Report, Social Security Administration Disability Research Institute; 2006., .