Dr. Schneeweiss has received research grants from Pfizer and Merck. Dr. Weinblatt has received consulting fees from Abbott (more than $10,000) as well as from Amgen, Astra-Zeneca, Biogen, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Centocor, Genentech, Eli Lilly, Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Novartis, Roche, Sanofi-Aventis, Serona, Wyeth, and UCB (less than $10,000 each). Dr. Solomon has received research grants from Merck, Pfizer, and Savient.
Anti–tumor necrosis factor α therapy and the risk of serious bacterial infections in elderly patients with rheumatoid arthritis
Article first published online: 25 MAY 2007
Copyright © 2007 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis & Rheumatism
Volume 56, Issue 6, pages 1754–1764, June 2007
How to Cite
Schneeweiss, S., Setoguchi, S., Weinblatt, M. E., Katz, J. N., Avorn, J., Sax, P. E., Levin, R. and Solomon, D. H. (2007), Anti–tumor necrosis factor α therapy and the risk of serious bacterial infections in elderly patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis & Rheumatism, 56: 1754–1764. doi: 10.1002/art.22600
- Issue published online: 25 MAY 2007
- Article first published online: 25 MAY 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 FEB 2007
- Manuscript Received: 11 AUG 2006
- Engalitcheff Arthritis Outcomes Initiatives, Baltimore, Maryland
- Brigham and Women's Hospital DEcIDE Research Center, which is funded by the Agency for Health Care Research and Quality
- NIH. Grant Numbers: P60-AR-47782, K24-AR-02123, K23-AR-48616
- Arthritis Foundation
- 13Treatment for rheumatoid arthritis and the risk of hospitalization for pneumonia: associations with prednisone, disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs, and anti–tumor necrosis factor therapy. Arthritis Rheum 2006; 54: 628–34., , .
- 14British Society for Rheumatology Biologics Register Control Centre Consortium, , et al, on behalf of the British Society for Rheumatology Biologics Register. Rates of serious infection, including site-specific and bacterial intracellular infection, in rheumatoid arthritis patients receiving anti–tumor necrosis factor therapy: results from the British Society for Rheumatology Biologics Register. Arthritis Rheum 2006; 54: 2368–76., , , ,
- 16Population-based incidence rates and prevalence of rheumatoid arthritis in elderly Medicare beneficiaries [abstract]. Arthritis Rheum 2004; 50 Suppl 9: S294., , , , .
- 25Regression models and life tables. J R Stat Soc B 1972; 34: 187–220..
- 35Adalimumab, a fully human anti tumor necrosis factor-α monoclonal antibody, and concomitant standard antirheumatic therapy for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis: results of STAR (Safety Trial of Adalimumab in Rheumatoid Arthritis). J Rheumatol 2003; 30: 2563–71., , , , , , et al.
- 36Active-Controlled Study of Patients Receiving Infliximab for the Treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis of Early Onset Study Group. Combination of infliximab and methotrexate therapy for early rheumatoid arthritis: a randomized, controlled trial. Arthritis Rheum 2004; 50: 3432–43., , , , , , et al, for the
- 37START Study Group. The safety of infliximab, combined with background treatments, among patients with rheumatoid arthritis and various comorbidities: a large, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Arthritis Rheum 2006; 54: 1075–86., , , , , , et al, for the
- 40Methods in observational epidemiology. 2nd ed. New York: Oxford University Press; 1996. p 341–90., , , .