Physical activity in women with arthritis: Examining perceived barriers and self-regulatory efficacy to cope
Version of Record online: 30 JUL 2009
Copyright © 2009 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis Care & Research
Volume 61, Issue 8, pages 1087–1094, 15 August 2009
How to Cite
Gyurcsik, N. C., Brawley, L. R., Spink, K. S., Brittain, D. R., Fuller, D. L. and Chad, K. (2009), Physical activity in women with arthritis: Examining perceived barriers and self-regulatory efficacy to cope. Arthritis & Rheumatism, 61: 1087–1094. doi: 10.1002/art.24697
- Issue online: 30 JUL 2009
- Version of Record online: 30 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 MAY 2009
- Manuscript Received: 1 NOV 2008
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada
- 1Centers for Disease Control. Prevalence of doctor-diagnosed arthritis and arthritis-attributable activity limitation: United States, 2003–2005. MMWR 2006; 55: 1089–92.
- 2Health Canada. Arthritis in Canada: an ongoing challenge. Ottawa: Health Canada; 2003.
- 7United States Department of Health and Human Services. Healthy people 2010: understanding and improving health and objectives for improving health. Washington, DC: United States Government Printing Office; 2000.
- 15Correlates of physical activity in persons with arthritis: review and recommendations. J Phys Act Health 2005; 2: 230–52., , , , .
- 16Self-efficacy: the exercise of control. New York: WH Freeman; 1997..
- 17Social foundations of thought and action: a social cognitive theory. Englewood Cliffs (NJ): Prentice Hall; 1986..
- 19Self-efficacy. In: LearyMR, TangneyJP, editors. Handbook of self and identity. New York: Guildford Press; 2003. p. 218–38., .
- 20Self-regulation and the executive function of the self. In: LearyMR, TangneyJP, editors. Handbook of self and identity. New York: Guildford Press; 2003. p. 197–218., .
- 22Facilitating treatment adherence: a practitioner's guide. New York: Plenum Press; 1987., .
- 23Measuring exercise related self-efficacy. In: DudaJ, editor. Advances in measurement in sport and exercise psychology. Morgantown (WV): Fitness Information Technology; 1998. p. 371–90., .
- 31Problems in assessing perceived barriers to exercise: confusing obstacles with attributions and excuses. In: DudaJ, editor. Advances in measurement in sport and exercise psychology. Morgantown (WV): Fitness Information Technology; 1998. p. 337–50., , .
- 32Leisure constraints: a survey of past research. Leis Sci 1988; 10: 203–15..
- 37Factors that influence exercise among adults with arthritis in three activity levels. Prev Chronic Dis 2006; 3: 1–16., , , , .
- 40Perceived barriers to physical activity among adult lesbians. Women Sport Phys Act 2008; 17: 68–79., , .
- 41United States Department of Health and Human Services. NHANES Survey 2003–2004. National Center for Health Statistics. URL: www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhanes/nhanes_03_04/sp_paq_c.pdf.
- 45Physical activity and behavioral medicine. Thousand Oaks (CA): Sage; 1999., .
- 46Stress, appraisal, and coping. New York: Springer; 1984., .