The opinions expressed by the authors are theirs alone and do not represent the opinions of supporting organizations. The developers and funders of the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing and the UK Data Archive do not bear any responsibility for the analyses or interpretations presented here.
Health Care Planning
Modeling the need for hip and knee replacement surgery. Part 2. Incorporating census data to provide small-area predictions for need with uncertainty bounds†
Article first published online: 30 NOV 2009
Copyright © 2009 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis Care & Research
Volume 61, Issue 12, pages 1667–1673, 15 December 2009
How to Cite
Judge, A., Welton, N. J., Sandhu, J. and Ben-Shlomo, Y. (2009), Modeling the need for hip and knee replacement surgery. Part 2. Incorporating census data to provide small-area predictions for need with uncertainty bounds. Arthritis & Rheumatism, 61: 1667–1673. doi: 10.1002/art.24732
- Issue published online: 30 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 30 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 MAY 2009
- Manuscript Received: 27 JAN 2009
- Medical Research Council/Health Services Research Collaboration at the Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol
- UK Medical Research Council
- National Coordinating Centre for Research Capacity Development Department of Health Public Health Initiative 2003
- The data are from the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing, which receives funding from the US National Institute on Aging
- Consortium of UK government departments coordinated by the Office for National Statistics
- 1Department of Health. Delivering investment in general practice: implementing the new GMS contract. 2003. URL: http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/documents/digitalasset/dh_4070231.pdf.
- 2Department of Health. Tackling health inequalities: a programme for action. 2003. URL: http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/documents/digitalasset/dh_4019362.pdf.
- 3Bristol South and West Primary Care Trust. Meeting of Bristol South and West Primary Care Trust Board Meeting: health equity audits in the PCT. Bristol: Bristol South and West Primary Care Trust; 2004.
- 4Department of Health. Health equity audit: a self-assessment tool. 2004. URL: http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_4070715.
- 13Yorkshire and Humber Public Health Observatory. PBS diabetes population prevalence model: phase 2. 2005. URL: http://www.york.ac.uk/yhpho/documents/pbsdpm/pbs%20phase%202/PBS%20Briefing%20Document%20-%20Phase2.pdf.
- 20Indices of deprivation 2004: report to the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister. London: Neighbourhood Renewal Unit; 2004., , , , , , et al.
- 22WinBUGS user manual: version 1.4. Cambridge (UK): MRC Biostatistics Unit; 2001., , , .
- 24People and places: a 2001 census atlas of the UK. Bristol (UK): Policy Press; 2004., .