UK-based physical therapists' attitudes and beliefs regarding exercise and knee osteoarthritis: Findings from a mixed-methods study
Version of Record online: 29 OCT 2009
Copyright © 2009 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis Care & Research
Volume 61, Issue 11, pages 1511–1521, 15 November 2009
How to Cite
Holden, M. A., Nicholls, E. E., Young, J., Hay, E. M. and Foster, N. E. (2009), UK-based physical therapists' attitudes and beliefs regarding exercise and knee osteoarthritis: Findings from a mixed-methods study. Arthritis & Rheumatism, 61: 1511–1521. doi: 10.1002/art.24829
- Issue online: 29 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 29 OCT 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Received: 9 FEB 2009
- Physiotherapy Research Foundation
- Chartered Society of Physiotherapy Charitable Trust
- National Health Service North Staffordshire Primary Care Research Consortium
- Allied Health Professional Training Fellowship from the Arthritis Research Campaign. Grant Number: grant reference 18004
- National Institute of Health Primary Care Career Scientist Award
- 2Exercise for osteoarthritis of the hip or knee. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2003; 3:CD004286., , .
- 6The National Collaborating Centre for Chronic Conditions. Osteoarthritis: national clinical guidance for care and management in adults. London: Royal College of Physicians; 2008.
- 11Health care providers' orientations towards common low back pain predict perceived harmfulness of physical activities and recommendations regarding return to normal activity. Eur J Pain 2005; 9: 173–83., , , , , .
- 13Beliefs and preferences: do they help determine the outcome of musculoskeletal problems? Phys Ther Rev 2007; 12: 199–206..
- 15Mastering statistics: a guide for health service professionals and researchers. Cheltenham (UK): Stanley Thornes; 1998., , .
- 18Clinical guidelines for the physiotherapy management of whiplash associated disorder. London: Chartered Society of Physiotherapy; 2005., , , , , , et al.
- 19Clinical guidelines for the physiotherapy management of persistent low back pain (LBP): part 1. Exercise. London: Chartered Society of Physiotherapy; 2006., , , , , , et al.
- 20The discovery of grounded theory: strategies for qualitative research. Chicago: Aldine Publishing; 1967., .
- 21Basics of qualitative research: techniques and procedures for developing grounded theory. 2nd ed. London: Sage; 1998., .
- 22Research in health care: concepts, designs and methods. Cheltenham (UK): Stanley Thornes; 2000., .
- 31World Health Organization. Adherence to long-term therapies: evidence for action. Geneva: WHO; 2003.
- 34Department of Health Long-term Conditions NSF Team. The National Service Framework for long-term conditions. Leeds (UK): Department of Health; 2005.
- 35The quantitative-qualitative continuum. In: GerrishK, LaceyA, editors. The research process in nursing. 5th ed. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing; 2006..
- 38American College of Sports Medicine. ACSM guidelines for exercise testing and prescription. 7th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2006.