Dr. Ruperto has received consulting fees, speaking fees, and/or honoraria from Bristol-Myers Squibb, Roche, and Novartis (less than $10,000 each).
Is it time to move to active comparator trials in juvenile idiopathic arthritis?: A review of current study designs
Version of Record online: 29 OCT 2010
Copyright © 2010 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis & Rheumatism
Volume 62, Issue 11, pages 3131–3139, November 2010
How to Cite
Ruperto, N., Giannini, E. H., Pistorio, A., Brunner, H. I., Martini, A. and Lovell, D. J. (2010), Is it time to move to active comparator trials in juvenile idiopathic arthritis?: A review of current study designs. Arthritis & Rheumatism, 62: 3131–3139. doi: 10.1002/art.27670
- Issue online: 29 OCT 2010
- Version of Record online: 29 OCT 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 JUL 2010
- Manuscript Received: 7 APR 2010
- Bristol-Myers Squibb, Abbott, Novartis, Roche, Centocor, ACRAF, Pfizer, and Xoma
- Paediatric Rheumatology International Trials Organisation
- 2Paediatric Rheumatology International Trials Organisation and the Pediatric Rheumatology Collaborative Study Group. A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of infliximab plus methotrexate for the treatment of polyarticular-course juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 2007; 56: 3096–106., , , , , , et al, for the
- 6Food and Drug Administration (US). Regulations requiring manufacturers to assess the safety and effectiveness of new drugs and biologic products in pediatrics patients (21 CFR Parts 201, 312, 314, and 601). Federal Register 1998; 63(231).
- 7Regulation (EC) no 1901/2006 of the European parliament and of the Council of 12 December 2006 on medicinal products for paediatric use and amending Regulation (EEC) No 1768/92, Directive 2001/20/EC, Directive 2001/83/EC and Regulation (EC) No 726/2004. Official Journal of the European Union 2006; L 378: 1–19.
- 11Childhood Arthritis and Rheumatology Research Alliance (CARRA), the Pediatric Rheumatology International Trials Organization (PRINTO), and the Pediatric Rheumatology Collaborative Study Group (PRCSG). Preliminary criteria for clinical remission for select categories of juvenile idiopathic arthritis. J Rheumatol 2004; 31: 2290–4., , , for the
- 16Pediatric Rheumatology International Trials Organization (PRINTO) and the Pediatric Rheumatology Collaborative Study Group (PRCSG). The Pediatric Rheumatology International Trials Organization/American College of Rheumatology provisional criteria for the evaluation of response to therapy in juvenile systemic lupus erythematosus: prospective validation of the definition of improvement. Arthritis Rheum 2006; 55: 355–63., , , , , , et al, for the
- 17Paediatric Rheumatology International Trials Organisation (PRINTO) and the Pediatric Rheumatology Collaborative Study Group (PRCSG). The provisional Pediatric Rheumatology International Trial Organisation/American College of Rheumatology/European League Against Rheumatism disease activity core set for the evaluation of response to therapy in juvenile dermatomyositis: a prospective validation study. Arthritis Rheum 2008; 59: 4–13., , , , , , et al, for the
- 20Pediatric Rheumatology Collaborative Study Group and the Cooperative Children's Study Group. Methotrexate in resistant juvenile rheumatoid arthritis: results of the U.S.A.–U.S.S.R. double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. N Engl J Med 1992; 326: 1043–9., , , , , , et al, and the
- 24Paediatric Rheumatology International Trials Organization (PRINTO). Quality of life in juvenile idiopathic arthritis patients compared to healthy children. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2001; 19 Suppl 23: S171–2., , for the
- 25Committee for medicinal products for human use (CHMP). European Medicines Agency 2006; URL: http://www.ema.europa.eu/pdfs/human/ewp/042204.pdf: 1–12.
- 29Paediatric Rheumatology International Trials Organisation and the Pediatric Rheumatology Collaborative Study Group. Adapted versions of the Sharp/van der Heijde score are reliable and valid for assessment of radiographic progression in juvenile idiopathic arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 2007; 56: 3087–95., , , , , , et al, for the
- 31Dutch Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis Study Group. Development of a standardized method of assessment of radiographs and radiographic change in juvenile idiopathic arthritis: introduction of the Dijkstra composite score. Arthritis Rheum 2005; 52: 2865–72., , , , , , et al, on behalf of the
- 33Clinical trials: a practical approach. 1st ed. New York: John Wiley; 1983..
- 34Committee on Drugs, American Academy of Pediatrics. Guidelines for the ethical conduct of studies to evaluate drugs in pediatric population. Pediatrics 1995; 95: 286–94.
- 39Pediatric Rheumatology International Trials Organization. A randomized trial of parenteral methotrexate comparing an intermediate dose with a higher dose in children with juvenile idiopathic arthritis who failed to respond to standard doses of methotrexate. Arthritis Rheum 2004; 50: 2191–201., , , , , , et al, for the
- 42Paediatric Rheumatology International Trials Organisation (PRINTO) and the Paediatric Rheumatology European Society (PRES). The PRINTO/PRES international web-site for families of children with rheumatic diseases: www.pediatric-rheumatology.printo.it. Ann Rheum Dis 2005; 64: 1101–6., , , , , , et al, for the
- 47The design and analysis of sequential clinical trials. Rev. 2nd ed. Chichester (UK): John Wiley; 1997..
- 48Méthodes statistiques en expérimentation biologique. Paris: Flammarion Médicine-Sciences; 1991., .
- 50A meta-analysis to estimate the “real” placebo effect in juvenile rheumatoid arthritis (JRA) trials. Arthritis Rheum 2003; 48 Suppl: S90., , , , , .