The contents of this article are solely attributable to the authors, and do not reflect the views of the American College of Rheumatology or any of its officers or staff. The American College of Rheumatology exercised no role in the design or analysis of this study or in the decision to publish the findings.
Analysis of the workforce and workplace for rheumatology and the research activities of rheumatologists early in their careers†
Article first published online: 30 NOV 2010
Copyright © 2010 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis & Rheumatism
Volume 62, Issue 12, pages 3528–3536, December 2010
How to Cite
Desjardins, C., St.Clair, E. W. and Ehrenberg, R. G. (2010), Analysis of the workforce and workplace for rheumatology and the research activities of rheumatologists early in their careers. Arthritis & Rheumatism, 62: 3528–3536. doi: 10.1002/art.27721
- Issue published online: 30 NOV 2010
- Article first published online: 30 NOV 2010
- Accepted manuscript online: 24 AUG 2010 09:53AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 AUG 2010
- Manuscript Received: 18 MAY 2010
- American College of Rheumatology to defray the cost of producing and managing a Web-based survey
- Cornell Higher Education Research Institute, Cornell University
- 3National Institute for Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, NIH. NIAMS long-range plan: fiscal years 2010-2014. February 2010. URL: http://www.niams.nih.gov/About_Us/Mission_and_Purpose/intro_letter.asp
- 4Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America, Pharmaceutical industry profile 2008 (Washington, DC: PhRMA, July 23, 2009). URL: http://www.phrma.org/files/attachments/2008%20Profile.pdf.
- 9AAMC data book: medical schools and teaching hospitals by the numbers. Washington: Association of American Medical Colleges; 2008. URL: http://www.aamc.org/data/databook/start.htm.
- 10National Institutes of Health, Office of Extramural Research. Age distributions of NIH research project grant investigators and medical school faculty, 1980-2006, September 2007. Bethesda (MD): NIH; September 2007. URL: http://search2.google.cit.nih.gov/search?q=cache:qJT97J0CyvQJ:report.nih.gov/RPG_PIs_AAMCFaculty08252007.ppt+age&site=REPORT&client=REPORT_frontend&proxystylesheet=REPORT_frontend&output=xml_no_dtd&ie=UTF-8&access=p&oe=ISO-8859-1.
- 12Breaking the scientific bottleneck: report of the Graylyn Consensus Development Conference. Washington: Association of American Medical Colleges; 1998.
- 13The research methods knowledge base. 2nd ed. Cincinnati: Atomic Dog Publishing; 2000..
- 21Institute of Medicine (US). Enriching the vitality of the National Institutes of Health: organizational change meet new challenges. Washington: National Academy Press, 2003.
- 27Hahm J, Ommaya A, editors. Opportunities to address clinical research workforce diversity needs for 2010. Washington: National Academy Press, 2006.
- 28Olson, S. Fagen AP, editors. Understanding interventions that encourage minorities to pursue research careers: summary of a workshop. Washington: National Academy Press, 2007.
- 33Changing models of biomedical research. Science Transl Med 2009; 1: 1–5., .