Tumor necrosis factor therapy and the risk of serious infection and malignancy in patients with early rheumatoid arthritis: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials
Article first published online: 31 MAY 2011
Copyright © 2011 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis & Rheumatism
Volume 63, Issue 6, pages 1479–1485, June 2011
How to Cite
Thompson, A. E., Rieder, S. W. and Pope, J. E. (2011), Tumor necrosis factor therapy and the risk of serious infection and malignancy in patients with early rheumatoid arthritis: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Arthritis & Rheumatism, 63: 1479–1485. doi: 10.1002/art.30310
- Issue published online: 31 MAY 2011
- Article first published online: 31 MAY 2011
- Accepted manuscript online: 25 FEB 2011 11:14AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 FEB 2011
- Manuscript Received: 4 MAY 2010
- Summer research grant from Roche Canada
- 3Anti-TNF antibody therapy in rheumatoid arthritis and the risk of serious infections and malignancies: systematic review and meta-analysis of rare harmful effects in randomized controlled trials [published erratum appears in JAMA 2006;295:2482]. JAMA 2006; 295: 2275–85., , , , , .
- 9Review Manager (RevMan) software for preparing and maintaining Cochrane Reviews: version 5.0. Copenhagen (Denmark): Cochrane Collaboration; 2009.
- 10Golimumab, a human anti–tumor necrosis factor α monoclonal antibody, injected subcutaneously every four weeks in methotrexate-naive patients with active rheumatoid arthritis: twenty-four–week results of a phase III, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of golimumab before methotrexate as first-line therapy for early-onset rheumatoid arthritis [published erratum appears in Arthritis Rheum 2010;62:3005]. Arthritis Rheum 2009; 60: 2272–83., , , , , , et al.
- 11TEMPO (Trial of Etanercept and Methotrexate with Radiographic Patient Outcomes) Study Investigators. Therapeutic effect of the combination of etanercept and methotrexate compared with each treatment alone in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: double-blind randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2004; 363: 675–81., , , , , , et al,
- 13Certolizumab pegol plus methotrexate is significantly more effective than placebo plus methotrexate in active rheumatoid arthritis: findings of a fifty-two–week, phase III, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group study [published erratum appears in Arthritis Rheum 2009;60:1249]. Arthritis Rheum 2008; 58: 3319–29., , , , , , et al.
- 15PREMIER Investigators. The PREMIER study: a multicenter, randomized, double-blind clinical trial of combination therapy with adalimumab plus methotrexate versus methotrexate alone or adalimumab alone in patients with early, aggressive rheumatoid arthritis who had not had previous methotrexate treatment. Arthritis Rheum 2006; 54: 26–37., , , , , , et al, for the
- 17Active-Controlled Study of Patients Receiving Infliximab for the Treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis of Early Onset Study Group. Combination of infliximab and methotrexate therapy for early rheumatoid arthritis: a randomized, controlled trial. Arthritis Rheum 2004; 50: 3432–43., , , , , , et al, for the
- 18Yorkshire Early Arthritis Register Consortium. Effect of the early use of the anti–tumor necrosis factor adalimumab on the prevention of job loss in patients with early rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 2008; 59: 1467–74., , , , , , et al, and the
- 26Radiographic, clinical, and functional outcomes of treatment with adalimumab (a human anti–tumor necrosis factor monoclonal antibody) in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis receiving concomitant methotrexate therapy: a randomized, placebo-controlled, 52-week trial. Arthritis Rheum 2004; 50: 1400–11., , , , , , et al.