Presented in part at the 74th Annual Scientific Meeting of the American College of Rheumatology, Atlanta, GA, November 2010.
Diuretic use, increased serum urate levels, and risk of incident gout in a population-based study of adults with hypertension: The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities cohort study†
Version of Record online: 29 DEC 2011
Copyright © 2012 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis & Rheumatism
Volume 64, Issue 1, pages 121–129, January 2012
How to Cite
McAdams DeMarco, M. A., Maynard, J. W., Baer, A. N., Gelber, A. C., Young, J. H., Alonso, A. and Coresh, J. (2012), Diuretic use, increased serum urate levels, and risk of incident gout in a population-based study of adults with hypertension: The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities cohort study. Arthritis & Rheumatism, 64: 121–129. doi: 10.1002/art.33315
- Issue online: 29 DEC 2011
- Version of Record online: 29 DEC 2011
- Accepted manuscript online: 27 SEP 2011 10:22AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 AUG 2011
- Manuscript Received: 7 APR 2011
- NIH (National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute). Grant Numbers: HHSN-268201100005C, HHSN-268201100006C, HHSN-268201100007C, HHSN-268201100008C, HHSN-268201100009C, HHSN-268201100010C, HHSN-268201100011C, HHSN-268201100012C
- NIH (National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute T32 training grant). Grant Number: 5-T32-HL-007024
- Donald B. and Dorothy Stabler Foundation
- Ira T. Fine Discovery Fund
- 1Major outcomes in high-risk hypertensive patients randomized to angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor or calcium channel blocker vs diuretic: the Antihypertensive and Lipid-Lowering Treatment to Prevent Heart Attack Trial (ALLHAT). JAMA 2002; 288: 2981–97.
- 3The determinants and prognostic significance of serum uric acid in elderly patients of the European Working Party on High Blood Pressure in the Elderly trial. Am J Med 1991; 90: 50–4S..
- 5SHEP Cooperative Research Group. Influence of long-term, low-dose, diuretic-based, antihypertensive therapy on glucose, lipid, uric acid, and potassium levels in older men and women with isolated systolic hypertension: the Systolic Hypertension in the Elderly Program. Arch Intern Med 1998; 158: 741–51., , , , , , et al, for the