Dr. Curtis has received consulting fees, speaking fees, and/or honoraria from Abbott, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Crescendo Bioscience, Pfizer (less than $10,000 each) and from Roche/Genentech, UCB, Centocor, and Amgen (more than $10,000 each).
Article first published online: 27 AUG 2012
Copyright © 2012 by the American College of Rheumatology
Arthritis & Rheumatism
Volume 64, Issue 9, pages 2824–2835, September 2012
How to Cite
Moreland, L. W., O'Dell, J. R., Paulus, H. E., Curtis, J. R., Bathon, J. M., St.Clair, E. W., Bridges, S. L., Zhang, J., McVie, T., Howard, G., van der Heijde, D., Cofield, S. S. and TEAR Investigators (2012), A randomized comparative effectiveness study of oral triple therapy versus etanercept plus methotrexate in early aggressive rheumatoid arthritis: The Treatment of Early Aggressive Rheumatoid Arthritis trial. Arthritis & Rheumatism, 64: 2824–2835. doi: 10.1002/art.34498
The study drugs were provided by Amgen (etanercept and placebo), Barr Pharmaceuticals (methotrexate), and Pharmacia (sulfasalazine and placebo).
ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00259610.
- Issue published online: 27 AUG 2012
- Article first published online: 27 AUG 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 16 APR 2012 09:30AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 APR 2012
- Manuscript Received: 24 AUG 2011
- Amgen through a grant to the University of Alabama at Birmingham
- NIH planning grant from the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. Grant Number: 1-R34-AR-055122
- 3The PREMIER study: a multicenter, randomized, double-blind clinical trial of combination therapy with adalimumab plus methotrexate versus methotrexate alone or adalimumab alone in patients with early, aggressive rheumatoid arthritis who had not had previous methotrexate treatment. Arthritis Rheum 2006; 54: 26–37., , , , , , et al.
- 5Predictors of joint damage in patients with early rheumatoid arthritis treated with high-dose methotrexate with or without concomitant infliximab: results from the ASPIRE trial. Arthritis Rheum 2006; 54: 702–10., , , , , , et al.
- 6Golimumab, a human anti–tumor necrosis factor α monoclonal antibody, injected subcutaneously every four weeks in methotrexate-naive patients with active rheumatoid arthritis: twenty-four–week results of a phase III, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of golimumab before methotrexate as first-line therapy for early-onset rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 2009; 60: 2272–83., , , , , , et al.
- 7Efficacy and safety of certolizumab pegol in a clinically representative population of patients (Pts) with active rheumatoid arthritis (RA): results of the REALISTIC phase IIIb randomized controlled study [abstract]. Arthritis Rheum 2010; 63 Suppl: S752–S3., , , , , , et al.
- 17Comparison of etanercept and methotrexate, alone and combined, in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis: two-year clinical and radiographic results from the TEMPO study, a double-blind, randomized trial. Arthritis Rheum 2006; 54: 1063–74., , , , , , et al.