Assessment drives learning: An unavoidable truth?
Article first published online: 9 SEP 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Association of Anatomists
Anatomical Sciences Education
Volume 2, Issue 5, pages 199–204, October 2009
How to Cite
Wormald, B. W., Schoeman, S., Somasunderam, A. and Penn, M. (2009), Assessment drives learning: An unavoidable truth?. Anat Sci Ed, 2: 199–204. doi: 10.1002/ase.102
- Issue published online: 30 SEP 2009
- Article first published online: 9 SEP 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 JUL 2009
- Manuscript Received: 24 JUN 2009
- 2008. Anatomy correlations: Introducing clinical skills to improve performance in anatomy. Fam Med 40: 633–637. , , .
- 2000. Promoting deep learning through teaching and assessment: Conceptual frameworks and educational contexts. TLRP First Annual Conference. Teaching and Learning Research Programme. Leicester, UK; 9–10 November 2000. TLRP, Institute of Education, University of London, London, UK. URL: http://www.tlrp.org/pub/acadpub/Entwistle2000.pdf [accessed 24 June 2009]. .
- 2004. Conceptions of learning and knowledge in higher education: Relationships with study behaviour and influences of learning environments. Int J Educ Res 41: 407–428. , .
- 1983. Understanding Student Learning. London, UK: Croom Helm. 272 p. , .
- GMC 1993. General Medical Council. Tomorrow's Doctors. 1st Ed. London, UK: General Medical Council. p 40. URL: http://www.gmc-uk.org/education/undergraduate/GMC_tomorrows_doctors.pdf[accessed 24 June 2009].
- 2007. Expanding retrieval practice promotes short-term retention, but equally spaced retrieval enhances long-term retention. J Exp Psychol Learn Mem Cogn 33: 704–719. , .
- 1990. The Adult Learner: A Neglected Species. 4th Ed. Houston, TX: Gulf Publishing Co. 292 p. .
- 2009. The effect of testing on skills learning. Med Educ 43: 21–27. , , .
- 1978. Optimum rehearsal patterns and name learning. In: GrunebergMM,MorrisPE,SykesRN(Editors). Practical Aspects of Memory. London, UK: Academic Press Inc. p 625–632. , .
- 2008. Test-enhanced learning in medical education. Med Educ 42: 959–966. , , .
- 1996. A clinical anatomy curriculum for the medical student of the 21st century: Gross anatomy. Clin Anat 9: 71–99. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Clinical anatomy and the physical examination part I: Thorax, abdomen, perineum, and pelvis. Clin Anat 14: 332–348. , , , , , , , .
- 1976. On qualitative differences in learning: 1. Outcome and process. Br J Educ Psychol 46: 4–11. , .
- 2003. The impact of curricular change on medical students' knowledge of anatomy. Med Educ 37: 954–961. , , , , , .
- 2006. The relationship between assessment and learning. Med Educ 40: 716–717. .
- 2007. Perception of medical students towards the clinical relevance of anatomy. Clin Anat 20: 560–564. , .
- 2004. Anatomy: A must for teaching the next generation. Surgeon 2: 79–90. .
- 2007. Medical students' learning of anatomy: Memorisation, understanding and visualisation. Med Educ 41: 7–14. , .
- 2003. Learning to Teach in Higher Education. 1st Ed. London, UK: RoutledgeFalmer. 288 p. .
- 2004. Merging views on assessment. Med Educ 38: 1208–1210. , .
- 2006. The anatomy knowledge of surgical trainees: The trainers view. Bull Roy Coll Surg Engl 7: 240–242. .
- 2007. Anatomy in a modern medical curriculum. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 89: 104–107. .
- 1992. Disparate effects of repeated testing: Reconciling Ballard's (1913) and Bartlett's (1932) results. Psychol Sci 3: 240–245.Direct Link:, .