Medical education in the anatomical sciences: The winds of change continue to blow
Article first published online: 4 NOV 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Association of Anatomists
Anatomical Sciences Education
Volume 2, Issue 6, pages 253–259, November/December 2009
How to Cite
Drake, R. L., McBride, J. M., Lachman, N. and Pawlina, W. (2009), Medical education in the anatomical sciences: The winds of change continue to blow. Anat Sci Ed, 2: 253–259. doi: 10.1002/ase.117
- Issue published online: 23 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 4 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 OCT 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 22 SEP 2009
- Manuscript Received: 10 SEP 2009
- AAA. 2009. American Association of Anatomists, Bethesda, MD. URL: www.anatomy.org [accessed 10 September 2009].
- AAMC. 2001. Association of American Medical Colleges. Report IV Contemporary Issues in Medicine: Basic Science and Clinical Research. Medical School Objective Project. Washington DC. URL: https://services.aamc.org/Publications/index.cfm?fuseaction=Product.displayForm&prd_id=201&prv_id=242 [accessed 10 September 2009].
- AAMC-HHMI. 2009. Association of American Medical Colleges and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Report of Scientific Foundations for Future Physicians Committee. Washington DC. URL: http://www.hhmi.org/grants/pdf/08-209_AAMC-HHMI_report.pdf [accessed 10 September 2009].
- 1905. Anatomy in America. Bull Univ Wis 115: 87–205. .
- 1909. Report of the sub-committee on anatomy to the Council of Medical Education of the American Medical Association. Anat Rec 3: 415–439. .
- 1999. Response rate in academic studies—A comparative analysis. Hum Relat 52: 421–438. .
- 2008. Survey response rate levels and trends in organizational research. Hum Relat 61: 1139–1160. , .
- 1956. Association of American Medical Colleges; The teaching of anatomy and anthropology in medical education. Report of the Third Teaching Institute, Association of American Medical Colleges, Swampscott, MA. 18–22 October 1955. J Med Educ 31: 1–146. , , , , , , , , .
- 1973. Gross anatomy: Current courses, training programs, and prospective needs. J Med Educ 48: 264–270. , .
- 2008. Evaluation of small-group teaching in human gross anatomy in a Caribbean medical school. Anat Sci Educ 1: 19–22. ,
- 1994. Status of gross anatomy in the U.S. and Canada: Dilemma for the 21st Century. Clin Anat 7: 275–296. , , , .
- 2006. Healing America's ailing health care system. Mayo Clin Proc 81: 492–496. ,
- 1998. Anatomy education in a changing medical curriculum. Anat Rec 253: 28–31. .
- 2002. Survey of gross anatomy, microscopic anatomy, neuroscience, and embryology courses in medical school curricula in the United States. Anat Rec 269: 118–122. , , .
- 1961. Supply and demand for faculty in anatomy. J Med Educ 36: 134–147. , .
- 1910. Medical Education in the United States and Canada: A Report to the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement for Teaching. Carnegie Bulletin 4. New York, NY: The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. URL:http://www.carnegiefoundation.org/files/elibrary/Carnegie_Flexner_Report.pdf [accessed 10 September 2009]. .
- 2003. Anatomical sciences in the allopathic medical school curriculum in the United States between 1967–2001. Clin Anat 16: 434–439. .
- 1999. The standard medical microscopic anatomy course: histology circa 1998. Anat Rec 257: 96–101. , , , .
- 1966. Curriculum, faculty, and training in anatomy. Educational Affairs Committee, American Association of Anatomists. J Med Educ 41: 956–964. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Retention of basic science information by senior medical students. Acad Med 83: S82–S85. , , , .
- 2000. The place of the basic sciences in medical curricula. Med Educ 34: 608–613. .
- 1980. What to do about basic medical science. Br Med J 281: 171–172. .
- 2004. Undergraduate medical education for the 21st century: leadership and teamwork. Fam Med 36: S51–S56. ,
- 2009. Basic sciences in medical education: Why? How? When? Where? Med Teach 31: 787–789. .
- 2008. An explorative learning approach to teaching clinical anatomy using student generated content. Anat Sci Educ 1: 106–110. , , ,
- 1931. The curriculum. Bull Am Assoc M Coll 6: 283–284. .
- 1998. Integrating the teaching of basic sciences, clinical biopsychosocial issues. Acad Med 73: S24–S31. .
- 2008. Modified use of team-based learning for effective delivery of medical gross anatomy and embryology. Anat Sci Educ 1: 3–9. , , .
- 2006. Applying problem-based learning to the teaching of anatomy: The example of Harvard Medical School. Surg Radiol Anat 28: 189–194. ,
- 1927. A proposed new curriculum. Bull Am Assoc M Coll 2: 322–349.