Evaluation of the willingness for cadaveric donation in Greece: A population-based study
Article first published online: 31 JUL 2012
Copyright © 2012 American Association of Anatomists
Anatomical Sciences Education
Volume 6, Issue 1, pages 48–55, January/February 2013
How to Cite
Halou, H., Chalkias, A., Mystrioti, D., Iacovidou, N., Vasileiou, P. V.S. and Xanthos, T. (2013), Evaluation of the willingness for cadaveric donation in Greece: A population-based study. Anat Sci Ed, 6: 48–55. doi: 10.1002/ase.1304
- Issue published online: 7 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 31 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 5 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Received: 28 DEC 2011
- 2007. Body donation and its relevance in anatomy learning—A review. J Anat Soc India 56: 44–47. , .
- 2011. Knowledge, attitude, and practices regarding whole body donation among medical professionals in a hospital in India. Anat Sci Educ 4: 142–150. , , .
- 1968. Donation of bodies for medical education. Nebr State Med J 53: 90–92. .
- 2000. Family physicians' role in recruitment of organ donors. Arch Fam Med 9: 601–604. , .
- 2011. Where do human organs come from? Trends of generalized and restricted altruism in organ donations. Soc Sci Med 73: 1378–1385. .
- 2011. Personality and motivation for body donation. Ann Anat 193: 112–117. , , , , .
- 2012. Anatomist on the dissecting table? Dutch anatomical professionals' views on body donation. Clin Anat 25: 168–175. , , , .
- 2010. Motivation for body donation to science: More than an altruistic act. Ann Anat 192: 70–74. , , , , , .
- 2004. Whole body donation for medical science: A population-based study. Clin Anat 17: 570–577. , , , , .
- 2002. Understanding disparities in donor behavior: Race and gender differences in willingness to donate blood and cadaveric organs. Med Care 40: 85–95. , , , , , .
- 1998. The ultimate gift: Body donation. Omega (Westport) 37: 75–83. , .
- 2008. Student attitudes to whole body donation are influenced by dissection. Anat Sci Educ 1: 212–216. , .
- 2010. Humanities in gross anatomy project: A novel humanistic learning tool at Des Moines University. Anat Sci Educ 3: 94–96. , .
- 2002. Informed consent and the process of cadaver donation. Arch Pathol Lab Med 126: 964–968. , .
- 1975. Personality characteristics, body image and social attitudes of organ transplant donors versus nondonors. Psychosom Med 37: 313–318. .
- 1998. Primary health-care physicians: Vital roles in organ and tissue donation. Conn Med 62: 149–153. , .
- 2012. Who donates their body to science? An international, multicenter, prospective study.Anat Sci Educ 5:208–216. , , , .
- 2009. The wider importance of cadavers: Educational and research diversity from a body bequest program. Anat Sci Educ 2: 234–237. , .
- 2001. Effectiveness of laparoscopic cadaveric dissection in enhancing resident comprehension of pelvic anatomy. J Am Coll Surg 192: 492–497. , , .
- 2011. Knowledge, attitudes and proposals of medical students concerning transplantations in Greece. Int J Prev Med 2: 164–169. , , , , .
- 1996. Survey of cadaveric donors to a body donation program: 1978–1993. Clin Anat 9: 183–192. , , , .
- 2000. Quidne mortui vivos docent? The evolving purpose of human dissection in medical education. Acad Med 75: 969–979. , .
- 1992. The bequest of human bodies for dissection: A case study in the Otago Medical School. N Z Med J 105: 472–474. , .
- 1999. Religious perspectives on organ donation. Crit Care Nurs Q 22: 19–29. .
- 1995. The effects of a course in cadaver dissection on resident knowledge of pelvic anatomy: An experimental study. Obstet Gynecol 86: 137–139. , , , .
- 2008. Giving ourselves: The ethics of anatomical donation. Anat Sci Educ 1: 217–219. .
- 1988. Cadaver stories and the emotional socialization of medical students. J Health Soc Behav 29: 344–356. .
- HTO. 2012. Hellenic Transplant Organization (Eθνικóς Oργανισμóς Mεταμoσχεv́σεων). Greek Ministry of Health, Ampelokipi, Athens, Greece. URL: http://www.eom.gr/ [accessed 3 May 2012].
- 2007. Substantial increase in cadaveric organ transplantation in Greece for the period 2001–2005. Transplant Proc 39: 797–800. , , , , , .
- 2007. Improving the organ transplantation program in Greece: Institution of local transplant coordinators' network. Transplant Proc 39: 793–796. , , , , , .
- 2003. A contact lens as an artificial cornea for improved visualization during practice surgery on cadaver eyes. Arch Ophthalmol 121: 16–19. , , , .
- 1990. Respect for the dead human body: A question of body, mind, spirit, psyche. Transplant Proc 22: 1016–1018. .
- 2004. Organ and tissue transplantation in Greece: The law and an insight into the social context. Med Law 23: 111–127. , , .
- 2002. Accuracy of cricothyroidotomy performed in canine and human cadaver models during surgical skills training. J Am Coll Surg 195: 627–629. , , , , .
- 2010. The profile of body donors at the Otago School of Medical Sciences—Has it changed? N Z Med J 123: 9–17. , .
- 2008. The legal and ethical framework governing body donation in Europe—A review of current practice and recommendations for good practice. Eur J Anat 12: 1–24. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Microalbuminuria and hypertension in nondiabetic Japanese men. Am J Hypertens 12: 16–20. , , , , , .
- 2002. Assessing the emotional impact of cadaver dissection on medical students. Med Educ 36: 550–554. , , , .
- 2011. The trend of body donation for education based on Korean social and religious culture. Anat Sci Educ 4: 33–38. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. The hand that gives the rose. Mayo Clin Proc 86: 139–144. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Age modulates attitudes to whole body donation among medical students. Anat Sci Educ 2: 167–172. , .
- 2002. Evaluation of a teaching laboratory using a cadaver model for tube thoracostomy (1). J Emerg Med 23: 89–95. , , , .
- 1995. Donors' attitudes towards body donation for dissection. Lancet 346: 277–279. , .
- 2012. Body donation in India: Social awareness, willingness, and associated factors. Anat Sci Educ 5: 83–89. , .
- 1994. A comparison of public attitudes toward autopsy, organ donation, and anatomic dissection. A Swedish survey. JAMA 271: 284–288. .
- 2004. Attitudes of Turkish anatomists toward cadaver donation. Clin Anat 17: 677–681. , , .
- 2009. The Inner World of Medical Students: Listening to Their Voices in Poetry. 1st Ed. New York, NY: Radcliffe Medical Press. 268p. .
- 2010. The anatomy of anatomy: A review for its modernization. Anat Sci Educ 3: 83–93. , , .