Connecting with different audiences: The anatomy of communication is essential
Article first published online: 7 SEP 2012
Copyright © 2012 American Association of Anatomists
Anatomical Sciences Education
Volume 6, Issue 2, pages 134–137, March/April 2013
How to Cite
Evans, D. J.R. (2013), Connecting with different audiences: The anatomy of communication is essential. Anat Sci Ed, 6: 134–137. doi: 10.1002/ase.1311
- Issue published online: 8 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 7 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 3 JUL 2012
- 2012. After 244 years, Encyclopaedia Britannica stops the presses. New York Times. March 13, 2012. New York, NY: The New York Times Comp. URL: http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/13/after-244-years-encyclopaedia-britannica-stops-the-presses [accessed 30 May 2012]. .
- 2004. Subjectifying the patient: Creative writing and the clinical encounter. Fam Med 36: 400–401. , .
- 2012. Information technology and its role in anaesthesia training and continuing medical education. Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol 26: 33–53. , , , , , .
- 1997. National Committee of Inquiry into Higher Education: The Dearing Report. 1st Ed. London, UK: Stationery Office Books. 467 p. .
- 2005. Teaching communication skills to medical students, a challenge in the curriculum? Patient Educ Counsel 58: 265–270. , , , , , .
- Participants in the American Academy on Physician and Patient's Conference on Education and Evaluation of Competence in Communication and Interpersonal Skills. 2004. Assessing competence in communication and interpersonal skills: The Kalamazoo II report. Acad Med 79: 495–507. , , , , , , , , , ;
- 2008. AMEE Guide 32: E-Learning in medical education. I. Learning, teaching and assessment. Med Teach 30: 455–473. , .
- 2002. Defining and assessing professional competence. JAMA 287: 226–235. , .
- 2008. Designing patient-focussed information: An opportunity for communicating anatomically related information. Anat Sci Educ 1: 41–45. .
- 2009. Near-peer teaching in anatomy: An approach for deeper learning. Anat Sci Educ 2: 227–233. , .
- 2007. The role of the anatomist in communicating anatomy to a lay audience. Eur J Anat 11: 227–231. .
- 2011. Promoting knowledge and understanding in society. Training our students for effective communication. J Appl Res High Educ 3: 35–46. .
- 2006. Current concepts of communication skills training in oncology. Recent Results Cancer Res 168: 105–112. , .
- GMC. 2009. General Medical Council. Tomorrow's Doctors: Outcomes and Standards for Undergraduate Medical Education. Regulating Doctors, Ensuring Good Medical Practice. 3rd ed. London, UK: General Medical Council. 104 p. URL: http://www.gmc-uk.org/TomorrowsDoctors_2009.pdf_39260971.pdf [accessed 30 July 2012].
- 2010. Promoting clinical competence using social media. Nurse Educ 35: 127–129. , .
- 1998. A survey of communication skills training in UK schools of medicine: Present practices and prospective proposals. Med Educ 32: 25–34. , , , .
- 2010. Saving the Royal Mail's Universal Postal Service in the Digital Age. An Update of the 2008 Independent Review of the Postal Services Sector. Norwich, UK: The Stationery Office. 49 p. .
- 2001. Assessing the development of communication skills in undergraduate medical students. Med Educ 35: 225–231. , .
- 2011. The wired generation: Academic and social outcomes of electronic media use among university students. Cyberpsychol Behav Soc Netw 14: 275–280. , .
- 2012. A faculty-led mock residency interview exercise for fourth-year doctor of pharmacy students. J Pharm Prac 25: 101–107. , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Comparing three experiential learning methods and their effect on medical students' attitudes to learning communication skills. Med Teach 34: e198–e207. , , .
- 2010. Supporting students in developing literacy in science. Science 328: 456–459. , .
- 2005. Reciprocal peer teaching: Students teaching students in the gross anatomy laboratory. Clin Anat 18: 296–301. , , , , , .
- 2005. Teaching inpatient communication skills to medical students: An innovative strategy. Acad Med 80: 118–124. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Teaching students how to read and write science: A mandatory course on scientific research and communication in medicine. Acad Med 78: 1235–1239. , .
- 2008. Potential of information technology in dental education. Eur J Dent Educ 12: S85–S92. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Web-based faculty development: E-learning for clinical teachers in the London Deanery. Clin Teach 7: 58–62. , .
- 2006. Assessing resident's knowledge and communication skills using four different evaluation tools. Med Educ 40: 630–636. , , .
- 1996. Communication across the curriculum in animal science. J Anim Sci 74: 2828–2843. .
- 2006. Professionalism and anatomy: How do these two terms define our role? Clin Anat 19: 391–392. .
- 2008. Driving effective communication through anatomy. Anat Sci Educ 1: 49. , ,
- 2012. Students developing resources for students. Clin Teach 9: 178–182. , .
- 1998. Songs of innocence and experience: Student's poems about their medical education. Acad Med 73: 473–478. , , .
- 2006. The opinion editorial: Teaching physiology outside the box. Adv Physiol Educ 30: 73–82. , .
- 2004. Undergraduate medical students' views about a reflective portfolio assessment of their communication skills learning. Med Educ 38: 125–128. , .
- 1992. Teaching good communication/proposal-writing skill: Overcoming one deficit of our educational system. J Sci Educ Tech 1: 211–219. .
- 2001. Ethical dilemmas in communicating medical information to the public. Health Policy 55: 129–149. .
- 2011. Preparing for the changing role of instructional technologies in medical education. Acad Med 86: 435–439. , , , , .
- 2006. Doctors Talking with Patients/Patients Talking with Doctors: Improving Communication in Medical Visits. 2nd Ed. Westport, CT: Preager Publishers. 256 p. , .
- 2009. Remediation techniques for student performance problems after a comprehensive clinical skills assessment. Acad Med 84: 669–676. , , , , .
- 2009. Evaluation of a modified team based learning method for teaching general embryology to 1st year medical graduate students. Indian J Med Sci 63: 4–12. , .
- 1992. Antecedents of adherence to medical recommendations: Results from the medical outcomes study. J Behav Med 15: 447–468. , , , , .
- 2012. Sailing the cyber sea. Joint Force Q 65: 61–67. , .
- 2010. The anatomy of anatomy: A review for its modernization. Anat Sci Educ 3: 83–93. , , .
- 2003. Patient–doctor communication. Med Clin North Am 87: 1115–1145. .
- 2003. Read all about it: Writing health articles for the student newspaper. J Nurs Educ 42: 465–467. .
- 2001. Teaching and assessing communication skills in Maastricht: The first twenty years. Med Teach 23: 245–251. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Team-based learning in anatomy: An efficient, effective and economical strategy. Anat Sci Educ 4: 333–339. , , ,
- 2008. UK consensus statement on the content of communication curricula in undergraduate medical education. Med Educ 42: 1100–1107. , , , , , .
- 2010. Medical students' perceptions of video-linked lectures and video-streaming. Res Learn Tech 18: 19–27. , , .
- 2004. Anatomy exhibit's real bodies prove popular draw. The Japan Times Online. January 5, 2004. The Japan Times Ltd., Shibaura, Minato, Tokyo, Japan. URL: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20040105a3.html [accessed 2 July 2012]. .
- 2005. Teaching medical students the important connection between communication and clinical reasoning. J Gen Intern Med 20: 1108–1113. , , , , .
- 2000. Evaluating the outcome of communication skill teaching for entry-level medical students: does knowledge of empathy increase? Med Educ 34: 90–94. , .
- 2003. Effect of communications training on medical student performance. JAMA 290: 1157–1165. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Effects of peer-review on communication skills and learning motivation among nursing students. J Nurs Educ 50: 230–233. , .