The ATLAS project: The effects of a constructionist digital laboratory project on undergraduate laboratory performance
Article first published online: 27 MAR 2014
© 2014 American Association of Anatomists
Anatomical Sciences Education
Volume 8, Issue 1, pages 12–20, January/February 2015
How to Cite
Shoepe, T. C., Cavedon, D. K., Derian, J. M., Levy, C. S. and Morales, A. (2015), The ATLAS project: The effects of a constructionist digital laboratory project on undergraduate laboratory performance. Anat Sci Ed, 8: 12–20. doi: 10.1002/ase.1448
- Issue published online: 5 JAN 2015
- Article first published online: 27 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 31 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Received: 15 JUL 2013
- Human Anatomy and Physiology Society (HAPS Annual Faculty Research Award, 2011)
- 2012. Digital Faculty: Professors, Teaching and Technology, 2012. 1st Ed. Babson Park, MA: Babson Survey Research Group and Quahog Research Group, LLC. 51 p. , , , .
- 2011. Creative student-generated teaching projects integrating anatomical knowledge with clinical skills. Med Educ 45:1143–1144. , , .
- 2000. The “classroom flip.” Using web course management tools to become the guide on the side. In: Chambers JA (Editor). The 11th International Conference on College Teaching and Learning, April 12–15, 2000. Jacksonville, FL: Center for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning, Florida Community College at Jacksonville. p 9–17. .
- 1998. Doing with understanding: Lessons from research on problem-and project-based learning. J Learn Sci 7:271–311. , , , , , , .
- 2008. How much anatomy is enough? Anat Sci Educ 1:184–188. , , , , .
- 2012. Constructive, collaborative, contextual, and self-directed learning in surface anatomy education. Anat Sci Educ 6:114–124. , , , , , .
- 1991. Motivating project-based learning: Sustaining the doing, supporting the learning. Educ Psychol 26:369–398. , , , , , .
- 2009. Use of technology in children's dietary assessment. Eur J Clin Nutr 63:S50–S57. , , , , , .
- 2008. Improved learning efficiency and increased student collaboration through use of virtual microscopy in the teaching of human pathology. Anat Sci Educ 1:240–246. , .
- 2013. Active learning in the online environment: The integration of student-generated audio files. Active Learn High Educ 14:201–211. , .
- 1990. Acts of Meaning. 1st Ed. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. 179 p. .
- 2012. Reception learning and self-discovery learning in histology: Students' perceptions and their implications for assessing the effectiveness of different learning modalities. Anat Sci Educ 5:273–280. , , , , , , .
- 2011. ECAR National Study of Students and Information Technology in Higher Education, 2011. 1st Ed. Boulder, CO: Educause Center for Applied Research. 54 p. , , , .
- 1938. Experience and Education. 1st Ed. New York, NY: Touchstone. p 91. .
- 2011. Demystifying the Millennial student: A reassessment in measures of character and engagement in professional education. Anat Sci Educ 4:214–226. , , .
- 2005. Problem-based learning: Future challenges for educational practice and research. Med Educ 39:732–741. , , , .
- 2014. A retrospective and prospective look at medical education in the United States: Trends shaping anatomical sciences education. J Anat 224:256–260. .
- 2005. The use of camera mobile phone to assess emergency ENT radiological investigations. Clin Otolaryngol 30:230–233. , , , .
- 1995. I'm different; not dumb. Modes of presentation (VARK) in the tertiary classroom. In: Zelmer A, Zemler L (Editors). Research and Development in Higher Education: Blending Tradition and Technology. Vol. 18. Proceedings of the 1995 Annual Conference of the Higher Education and Research Development Society of Australasia (HERDSA 1995), July 4–8, 1995, Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia. Milperra, NSW, Australia: Higher Education Research and Development Society of Australia (HERDSA). p 308–313. .
- 2003. Visualizing health: Imagery in diabetes education. Proceedings of the 2003 Conference on Designing for User Experiences (DUX'03), June 6–7, 2003, San Francisco, CA. New York, NY: Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). p 1–14. , .
- 2008. The Future of Higher Education: How Technology Will Shape Learning. A Report from the Economist Intelligence Unit Sponsored by the New Media Consortium. 1st Ed. London, UK: Economist Intelligence Unit. 32 p. , .
- 2011. Constructivist learning of anatomy: Gaining knowledge by creating anatomical casts. Anat Sci Educ 4:98–104. , , , .
- 2011. Use of interactive live digital imaging to enhance histology learning in introductory level anatomy and physiology classes. Anat Sci Educ 4:78–83. .
- 2011. Using checklists in a gross anatomy laboratory improves learning outcomes and dissection quality. Anat Sci Educ 4:249–255. , , .
- 2012. Modernization of an anatomy class: From conceptualization to implementation. A case for integrated multimodal-multidisciplinary teaching. Anat Sci Educ 5:354–366. , , .
- 2012. The use of specially designed tasks to enhance student interest in the cadaver dissection laboratory. Anat Sci Educ 5:76–82. , , .
- 2013. The relative effectiveness of computer-based and traditional resources for education in anatomy. Anat Sci Educ 6:211–215. , , , .
- 2012. Loosely-guided, self-directed learning versus strictly-guided, station-based learning in gross anatomy laboratory sessions. Anat Sci Educ 5:340–346. , , , .
- 2008. The dissection course: Necessary and indispensable for teaching anatomy to medical students. Ann Anat 190:16–22. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Inverting the classroom: A gateway to creating an inclusive learning environment. J Econ Educ 31:30–43. , , .
- 1991. Situated Learning: Legitimate Peripheral Participation. 1st Ed. New York, NY: Cambridge University Press. 138 p. , .
- 2012. Perceptions of anatomy: Critical components in the clinical setting. Anat Sci Educ 5:187–199. , , , .
- 2008. A self-test to detect a heart attack using a mobile phone and wearable sensors. Proceedings of the 21st Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) International Symposium on Computer-Based Medical Systems (CBMS'08), June 17–19, 2008, Jyväskylä, Finland. Los Alamitos, CA: IEEE Computer Society Technical Committee on Computational Medicine. p 93–98. , .
- 2009. The place of anatomy in medical education: AMEE Guide no 41. Med Teach 31:373–386. , , .
- 2006. First-year medical students prefer multiple learning styles. Adv Physiol Educ 30:13–16. , .
- 2006. On some necessary conditions of learning. J Learn Sci 15:193–220. , .
- 2012. Perceptions of a mobile technology on learning strategies in the anatomy laboratory. Anat Sci Educ 6:81–89. , , .
- 2009. Teaching mode efficiency and learning preferences of first year nursing students. Nurs Educ Today 29:24–32. .
- 2004. Student learning preferences and teaching implications. J Dent Educ 68:859–866. , , , .
- 2008. The development of interactive online learning tools for the study of anatomy. Med Teach 30:260–271. , , .
- 2004. College smoking-cessation using cell phone text messaging. J Am Coll Health 53:71–78. , , , .
- 1993. The Children's Machine: Rethinking School in the Age of the Computer. 1st Ed. New York, NY: BasicBooks. 242 p. .
- 1991. Situating constructionism. In: Harel I, Papert S (Editors). Constructionism. 1st Ed. New York, NY: Ablex Publishing Co. p 1–11. , .
- 2014. Student-generated online videos to develop cross-curricular and curricular competencies in nursing studies. Comput Hum Behav 31:580–590. , , , .
- 2008. An explorative learning approach to teaching clinical anatomy using student generated content. Anat Sci Educ 1:106–110. , , , .
- 1974. The Illustrated Running Press Edition of The American Classic: Gray's Anatomy. Paperback Ed. Philadelphia, PA: Running Press. 1257 p. , (Editors).
- 2013. “Let's get physical”: Advantages of a physical model over 3D computer models and textbooks in learning imaging anatomy. Anat Sci Educ 6:216–224. , , , .
- 2001. A User's Guide to the Brain: Perception, Attention, and the Four Theaters of the Brain. 1st Ed. New York, NY: Pantheon Books. 416 p. .
- 2005. Mobile phone technology in the management of asthma. J Telemed Telecare 11:S43–S46. , , , , .
- 2011. What forty years of research says about the impact of technology on learning a second-order meta-analysis and validation study. Rev Educ Res 81:4–28. , , , , .
- 2004. A mobile phone integrated health care delivery system of medical images. J Digit Imaging 17:217–225. , , , .
- 2011. Making sense of Cronbach's alpha. Int J Med Educ 2:53–55. , .
- 2013. A review on Facebook as a user–generated content environment in tertiary education. Soc Media Interact Learn Environ 1:164–183. , , , .
- 2000. A Review of Research on Project-Based Learning. 1st Ed. San Rafael, CA: The Autodesk Foundation. 46 p. .
- 2008. Diffusion of innovations: Smartphones and wireless anatomy learning resources. Anat Sci Educ 1:233–239. .
- 2013. Do images influence assessment in anatomy? Exploring the effect of images on item difficulty and item discrimination. Anat Sci Educ 6:29–41. , , , , .
- 1978. Mind in Society: The Development of Higher Psychological Processes. 14th Ed. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. 159 p. .
- 2008. The good, the bad and the wiki: Evaluating student-generated content for collaborative learning. Br J Educ Tech 39:987–995. , , .