Ultrasound simulator-assisted teaching of cardiac anatomy to preclinical anatomy students: A pilot randomized trial of a three-hour learning exposure
Article first published online: 4 APR 2014
© 2014 American Association of Anatomists
Anatomical Sciences Education
Volume 8, Issue 1, pages 21–30, January/February 2015
How to Cite
Canty, D. J., Hayes, J. A., Story, D. A. and Royse, C. F. (2015), Ultrasound simulator-assisted teaching of cardiac anatomy to preclinical anatomy students: A pilot randomized trial of a three-hour learning exposure. Anat Sci Ed, 8: 21–30. doi: 10.1002/ase.1452
- Issue published online: 5 JAN 2015
- Article first published online: 4 APR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 4 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Received: 28 OCT 2013
- 2013. Interactive Anatomy. Primal Pictures Ltd., London, UK. URL: http://www.anatomy.tv/default.aspx [accessed 30 October 2013]. .
- 2012. The ultrasound challenge: A novel approach to medical student ultrasound education. J Ultrasound Med 31:2013–2016. , , , , .
- 2011. Utility of a transesophageal echocardiographic simulator as a teaching tool. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 25:212–215. , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Introduction of ultrasound into gross anatomy curriculum: Perceptions of medical students. J Emerg Med 43:1098–1102. , , , , .
- 2007. Does ultrasound training boost year 1 medical student competence and confidence when learning abdominal examination? Med Educ 41:843–848. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Virtual human dissector as a learning tool for studying cross-sectional anatomy. Med Teach 31:553–555. , , , .
- 2010. The impact of wearing scrubs on contextual learning. Med Teach 32:381–384. , , .
- 2012. Ultrasound and cadaveric prosections as methods for teaching cardiac anatomy: A comparative study. Anat Sci Educ 5:20–26. , , .
- 2014. Twelve tips for teaching with ultrasound in the undergraduate curriculum. Med Teach 36:19–24. , , .
- 2005. Viewpoint: Exploring the human interior: The roles of cadaver dissection and radiologic imaging in teaching anatomy. Acad Med 80:745-749. , .
- 2004. To what extent is cadaver dissection necessary to learn medical gross anatomy? A debate forum. Anat Rec 281B:2–3. , , .
- 2010. Undergraduate student perceptions of the use of ultrasonography in the study of “living anatomy”. Anat Sci Educ 3:318–322. , , .
- 2014. Can anatomists teach living anatomy using ultrasound as a teaching tool? Anat Sci Educ 7:340–349. , , , , , , .
- 2014. Simulation-based training in anaesthesiology: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Br J Anaesth 112:231–245. , , .
- 2012. Effect of visual-spatial ability on medical students' performance in a gross anatomy course. Anat Sci Educ 5:3–9. , , , .
- 1995. The future of gross anatomy teaching. Clin Anat 8:294–296. , .
- 2011. Transthoracic echocardiographic simulator: Normal and the abnormal. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 25:177–181. , , , , , , .
- 2007. A core syllabus in anatomy—adding common sense to need to know. Eur J Anat 11:S3–S18. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Teaching anatomy without cadavers. Med Educ 38:418–424. , , , .
- 2012. Using ultrasonography as a teaching support tool in undergraduate medical education - time to reach a decision. Med Ultrason 14:211–216. , , , .
- 2012. Transthoracic echocardiography simulation is an efficient method to train anesthesiologists in basic transthoracic echocardiography skills. Anesth Analg 115:1042–1051. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. What lies beneath: The in living anatomy teaching. Clin Teach 4:10–14. .
- 1995. The case for prosection: Comment on R.L.M. Newell's paper. Clin Anat 8:128–130. .
- 2010. The anatomy of anatomy: A review for its modernization. Anat Sci Educ 3:83–93. , , .
- 2010. Building virtual models by postprocessing radiology images: A guide for anatomy faculty. Anat Sci Educ 3:261–266. .
- 1996. Ultrasound anatomy: A practical teaching system in human gross anatomy. Med Educ 30:296–298. , , , .
- 2005. Integration of ultrasound in the education programme in anatomy. Med Educ 39:1148. , .
- 2006. Anatomical instruction and training for professionalism from the 19th to the 21st centuries. Clin Anat 19:403–414. , .
- 2002. Teaching cardiovascular anatomy to medical students by using a handheld ultrasound device. JAMA 288:1062–1063. , , , , , , , .