Positive impact of a master of science in applied anatomy program on USMLE Step 1 performance
Article first published online: 14 APR 2014
© 2014 American Association of Anatomists
Anatomical Sciences Education
Volume 8, Issue 1, pages 31–36, January/February 2015
How to Cite
Fredieu, J. R. and Snyder, C. W. (2015), Positive impact of a master of science in applied anatomy program on USMLE Step 1 performance. Anat Sci Ed, 8: 31–36. doi: 10.1002/ase.1455
- Issue published online: 5 JAN 2015
- Article first published online: 14 APR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 2 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 21 FEB 2013
- 2002. Undergraduate institutional MCAT scores as predictors of USMLE Step 1 performance. Acad Med 77:S13–S16. , , , .
- 2008. How much anatomy is enough? Anat Sci Educ 1:184–188. , , , , .
- 2010. The predictive validity of three versions of the MCAT in relation to performance in medical school, residency, and licensing examinations: A longitudinal study of 36 classes of Jefferson Medical College. Acad Med 85:980–987. , , , , .
- 2008. A multilevel analysis of examinee gender and USMLE Step 1 performance. Acad Med 83:S58–S62. , , .
- 2013. Changes in anatomy instruction and USMLE performance: Empirical evidence on the absence of a relationship. Anat Sci Educ 6:3–10. , , , .
- 2010. Long-term retention of basic science knowledge: A review study. Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract 15:109–128. .
- 2006. Modeling longitudinal performances on the United States Medical Licensing Examination and the impact of sociodemographic covariates: An application of survival data analysis. Acad Med 81:S108–S111. , , , .
- 2011. Evolution of the new pathway curriculum at Harvard Medical School: The new integrated curriculum. Perspect Biol Med 54:36–54. .
- 2007. The predictive validity of the MCAT for medical school performance and medical board licensing examinations: A meta-analysis of the published research. Acad Med 82:100–106. , , .
- 2009. Medical education in the anatomical sciences: The winds of change continue to blow. Anat Sci Educ 2:253–259. , , , .
- 2012. Development of a supported self-directed learning approach for anatomy education. Anat Sci Educ 5:114–121. , , , .
- 2010. Flexner revisited: The role and value of the basic sciences in medical education. Acad Med 85:349–355. , , , , , .
- 2011. Predictors of success on the United States Medical Licensing Examinations (USMLE). Learn Assist Rev 16:11–20. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Problem-based learning in pre-clinical medical education: 22 years of outcome research. Med Teach 32:28–35. , , , .
- 2005. Validity of the MCAT for predicting medical school performance. Acad Med 80:910–917. .
- 1988. Innovations in medical education of the 1950's contrasted with those of the 1970's and 1980's. J Health Soc Behav 29:279–293. , .
- 2007. Spaced education improves the retention of clinical knowledge by medical students: A randomized controlled trial. Med Educ 41:23–31. , , , , .
- 2009. Impact of preadmission variables on USMLE step 1 and step 2 performance. Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract 14:69–78. , , , .
- 2012. Dysfunctional problem-based learning curricula: Resolving the problem. BMC Med Educ 12:89. .
- 1974. The “McMaster Philosophy”: An approach to medical education. J Med Educ 49:1040–1050. , .
- 2009. Problem-based learning and medical education forty years on. A review of its effects on knowledge and clinical performance. Med Princ Pract 18:1–9. .
- 2005. Factors that correlate with the U.S. Medical Licensure Examination Step-2 scores in a diverse medical student population. J Natl Med Assoc 97:1258–1262. , .
- 2005. Medical gross anatomy as a predictor of performance on the USMLE Step 1. Anat Rec 283B:5–8. , .
- 2003. Does problem-based learning lead to deficiencies in basic science knowledge? An empirical case on anatomy. Med Educ 37:15–21. , , , , , .
- 1980. Western Reserve's Experiment in Medical Education and its Outcome. 1st Ed. New York, NY: Oxford University Press. 546 p. .
- 2010. Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine and Cleveland Clinic. Acad Med 85:S439–S445. , , , , , , , , .