Evaluation of computer-aided instruction in a gross anatomy course: A six-year study
Article first published online: 13 FEB 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Anatomical Sciences Education
Volume 2, Issue 1, pages 2–8, January/February 2009
How to Cite
McNulty, J. A., Sonntag, B. and Sinacore, J. M. (2009), Evaluation of computer-aided instruction in a gross anatomy course: A six-year study. Anat Sci Ed, 2: 2–8. doi: 10.1002/ase.66
- Issue published online: 13 FEB 2009
- Article first published online: 13 FEB 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 JAN 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 6 JAN 2009
- Manuscript Received: 1 DEC 2008
- 2000. Relationship of personality types and learners' performance in computer-mediated distance education. Purdue University: West Lafayette, IN. Doctorate of Philosophy Dissertation. 232 p. .
- 2003. Gender and learning style interactions in students' computer attitudes. J Educ Comp Res 28: 231–244. .
- 1990. The importance of learning style in end-user training. MAS Quart 14: 101–119. , , .
- 2008. The impact of interactive, computerized educational modules on preclinical medical education. Anat Sci Ed 1: 247–251. , , .
- 1998. An analysis of web-based instruction in a neurosciences course. Med Ed Online 3: 3–6. , .
- 1996. Educators must take the electronic revolution seriously. Acad Med 71: 221–226. .
- 2002. Web-based learning: Sound educational method or hype? A review of the evaluation literature. Acad Med 77: S86–S93. , , .
- 2002. Psychological myths in e-learning. Med Teach 24: 598–604. .
- 2001. Evaluation of computer-assisted instruction in principles of economics. Ed Tech Soc 4: 133–144. , .
- 2005a. The research we still are not doing: An agenda for the study of computer-based learning. Acad Med 80: 541–548. .
- 2005b. Learning and cognitive styles in web-based learning: Theory, evidence and application. Acad Med 80: 266–278. .
- 2008. Internet-based learning in the health professions: A meta-analysis. JAMA 300: 1181–1196. .
- 2007a. Instructional methods and cognitive and learning styles in web-based learning: Report of two randomized trials. Med Educ 41: 897–905. , , , .
- 2007b. Lack of interaction between sensing-intuitive learning styles and problem-first versus information-first instruction: A randomized crossover trial. Adv Health Sci Educ (in press) DOI: 10.1007/s10459-007-9089-8. , , , .
- 1994. The research we should be doing. Acad Med 69: 455–457. .
- 1990. Learner control in computer-based instruction: A current literature review. Ed Tech 30: 47–49. , .
- HEAL, Health Education Assets Library. 2008.National Digital Library. East Salt Lake, UT; Los Angeles, CA; Oklahoma City, OK. URL:http://www.healcentral.org/[accessed 1 December 2008].
- 2006. Addressing gender differences in computer ability, attitudes and use: The laptop effect. J Educ Comp Res 34: 187–211. .
- 2002. Evaluation of World Wide Web-based lessons for a first year dental biochemistry course. Med Ed Online 7: 13. .
- LUMEN, 2008. Loyola University Medical Education Network, Loyola University Chicago, Maywood, IL. URL: www.lumen.luc.edu/lumen/ [accessed 1 December 2008].
- 2006. The influence of learning styles on learners in E-learning environments: An empirical study. CHEER 18: 10–14. .
- 2004.Gender, computer usage, and earnings: The impact of sex composition, training, and skill. Conference paper at the Annual Meeting of the American Sociological Association San Francisco, CA; 14 Aug 2004; The American Sociological Association: Washington, DC. URL: http://www.allacademic.com/meta/p108743_index.html [accessed 1 December 2008]. , , .
- 2000. Evaluation of web-based computer-aided instruction in a basic science course. Acad Med 75: 59–65. , , , .
- 2002. Medical student use of computers correlates with personality. JAIMSE 12: 9–13. , , .
- 2004. Evaluation of computer-aided instruction in the medical gross anatomy curriculum. Clin Anat 17: 73–78. , , .
- 2006. Personality preference influences medical student use of specific computer-aided instruction (CAI). BMC Med Educ 6: 7. , , , .
- MedEdPortal. 2008. Association of American Medical Colleges, Washington,
- DC. URL: http://www.aamc.org/mededportal [accessed 1 December 2008].
- 2000. Gender and computer use in an academic institution: Report from a longitudinal study. J Educ Comp Res 23: 67–84. , , , , , .
- 2002. Analysis of medical students' use of web-based resources for a gross anatomy and embryology course. Clin Anat 15: 409–418. , .
- 1996. Knowledge transfer from expert systems vs. traditional instruction: Do personality traits make a difference? J End User Comp 8: 14–20. , .
- 1991. Personality factors in human-computer interaction: A review of the literature. Comp Human Behav 7: 103–135. .
- 2007. Do medical students watch video clips in elearning and do these facilitate learning? Med Teach 29: 490–494. , .
- 2006. The impact of e-learning in medical education. Acad Med 81: 207–212. , , .
- 1997. Gender differences in computer-related attitudes and behaviors: A meta-analysis. Comp Human Behav 13: 1–22. .