Sub-gridscale parametrization from the perspective of a computer games animator
Version of Record online: 14 NOV 2007
© Crown Copyright 2007. Reproduced with the permission of Her Majesty's Stationery Office. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Atmospheric Science Letters
Volume 8, Issue 4, pages 85–92, October/December 2007
How to Cite
Shutts, G. and Allen, T. (2007), Sub-gridscale parametrization from the perspective of a computer games animator. Atmosph. Sci. Lett., 8: 85–92. doi: 10.1002/asl.157
- Issue online: 9 DEC 2007
- Version of Record online: 14 NOV 2007
- Manuscript Revised: 21 AUG 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 AUG 2007
- Manuscript Received: 9 MAY 2007
- 2000. Fractals Everywhere. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco, CA. .
- 1999. Stochastic representation of model uncertainty in the ECMWF ensemble prediction system. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 125: 2887–2908. , , .
- 2003. Heterogeneous multiscale method: A general methodology for multiscale modeling. Physical Review B 67(9): 092101. , , .
- 2001. Visual simulation of smoke. In SIGGRAPH 2001, 23–30. Los Angeles. , , .
- 1970. Mathematical games. the fantastic combinations of John Conway's new solitaire game “life”. Scientific American 223: 120–123. .
- 2000. Coupling cloud processes with the large-scale dynamics using the Cloud-Resolving Convection Parametrization (CRCP). Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 58: 978–997. .
- Real-time Cloud Simulation and Rendering. PhD thesis, University of North Carolina, 2003.
- 2003. A three-dimensional, adaptive, Godunov-type model for global atmospheric flows. Monthly Weather Review 131: 1848–1864. , .
- 2005. Preliminary tests of multiscale modelling with a two-dimensional framework: Sensitivity to coupling methods. Mon. Wea. Rev. 133: 649–662. , .
- 2005. Influence of stochastic parameterization on the frequency of occurrence of North Pacific weather regimes in the ECMWF model. Geophysical Research Letters 131: L23811. , , .
- 2004. Jacobian-free Newton-Krylov methods: a survey of approaches and applications. Journal of Comparative Physiology 193: 357–397. , .
- 1979. A stable and accurate convective modelling procedure based on quadratic upstream interpolation. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 19: 59–98. .
- 1992. Stochastic backscatter in large-eddy simulations of boundary layers. Journal of Fluid Mechanics 242: 51–78. , .
- 2005. Convective dynamics issues at 10 km grid-resolution. ECMWF workshop on ‘Representation of Sub-Grid Processes using Stochastic-Dynamic Models’, 6 to 8 June 2005. Shinfield: Reading; 91–105. , , .
- 1997. On parametrizing scales that are only somewhat smaller than the smallest resolved scales, with application to convection and orography. ECMWF Workshop on New Insights and Approaches to Convective Parametrization, 4–7 November 1996. Shinfield: Reading. .
- 2001. A nonlinear dynamical perspective on model error: a proposal for nonlocal stochastic-dynamic parametrisation in weather and climate prediction models. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 127: 279–304. .
- 2005. Representing uncertainty in weather and climate prediction. Annual Reviews of Earth and Planetary Sciences 33: 163–194. , , , , , .
- 2003. Breaking the cloud parametrization deadlock. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 84: 1547–1564. , , , .
- 2005. A kinetic energy backscatter algorithm for use in ensemble prediction systems. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 131: 3079–3102. .
- 2007. Convective forcing fluctuations in a cloud-resolving model: Relevance to the stochastic parameterization problem. Journal of Climate 20: 187–202. , .
- 1996. Intraseasonal oscillations in 15 atmospheric general circulation models: results from an AMIP diagnostic subproject. Climate Dynamics 12: 325–357. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Stable fluids. In Proceedings of SIGGRAPH 1999, Los Angeles. 121–128. .
- 2003. Real-time fluid dynamics for games. In Proceedings of the Game Developer Conference, San Jose, CA. March 2003.. .
- 1994. Modification of the Euler equations for “vorticity confinement”: Application to the computation of interacting vortex rings. Physics of Fluids 6: 2738–2744. , .
- 2006. Turbulent flow simulations using vorticity confinement. In Implicit Large Eddy Simulation: Computing Turbulent flow Dynamics, Chapt. 12, Cambridge University Press; Cambridge, UK. , , , , , .
- 2005. A global cloud-resolving simulation: Preliminary results from an aqua planet experiment. Geophysical Research Letters 32: L08805, Doi:10.1029/2005GL022459. , , , , .
- 2005. Heterogeneous multiscale method for the modeling of complex fluids and micro-fluidics. Journal of Comparative Physiology 204: 1–26. , .