Cold European winters: interplay between the NAO and the East Atlantic mode
Version of Record online: 8 AUG 2011
Copyright © 2011 Royal Meteorological Society
Atmospheric Science Letters
Volume 13, Issue 1, pages 1–8, January/March 2012
How to Cite
Moore, G. W. K. and Renfrew, I. A. (2012), Cold European winters: interplay between the NAO and the East Atlantic mode. Atmosph. Sci. Lett., 13: 1–8. doi: 10.1002/asl.356
- Issue online: 18 JAN 2012
- Version of Record online: 8 AUG 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 JUL 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 21 JUN 2011
- Manuscript Received: 31 MAR 2011
- 2007. Influence of the Icelandic Low latitude on the frequency of Greenland tip jet events: Implications for Irminger Sea convection. J. Geophys. Res. 112(C4). , , .
- 1987. Classification, seasonality and persistence of low-frequency atmospheric circulation patterns. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1083–1126. , .
- 2004. Snow cover in eastern Europe in relation to temperature, precipitation and circulation. International Journal of Climatology 24: 591–601. .
- 2007. Impact of El Nino Southern Oscillation on European climate. Reviews of Geophysics 45: RG3003. .
- 1998. Applied Regression Analysis (Wiley Series in Probability and Statistics. Texts and References Section), 3rd ed. Wiley: New York, NY; 706 p. , .
- 2010. February 2010 coldest since 1996. Coldest winter quarter since 1978–1979. Weather 65(4): i–iv. .
- 2011. December 2010 coldest December since 1890. Weather 66: i–iv. .
- 2005. The continuum and dynamics of Northern Hemisphere teleconnection patterns. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 62: 3250–3267. , .
- 2000. Evidence for a recent change in the link between the North Atlantic Oscillation and Arctic sea ice export. Geophysical Research Letters 27: 989–992. , .
- 2010. Climate and atmospheric circulation changes over the past 1000 years reconstructed from oxygen isotopes in lake-sediment carbonate from Ireland. Holocene 20: 1105–1111. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The North Atlantic oscillation: climatic significance and environmental impact. In: An Overview of the North Atlantic Oscillation, (ed). AGU, Washington, DC; 1–35. , , , Visbeck M.
- 2010. North Atlantic climate variability: the role of the North Atlantic Oscillation. Journal of Marine Systems 79: 231–244. , .
- 1997. Extension to the North Atlantic Oscillation using early instrumental pressure observations from Gibraltar and south-west Iceland. International Journal of Climatology 17: 1433–1450. , , .
- 1986. Northern Hemisphere surface air temperature variations 1851–1984. Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology 25: 161–179. , , , , , .
- 2003. Mediated and direct effects of the North Atlantic Ocean on winter temperatures in northwest Europe. International Journal of Climatology 23: 245–261. , .
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 437–471. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Behaviour of the centres of action above the Atlantic since 1881. Part II: Associations with regional climate anomalies. International Journal of Climatology 18(1): 23–36. , , .
- 1998. Behaviour of the centres of action above the Atlantic since 1881. Part I: characteristics of seasonal and interannual variability. International Journal of Climatology 18: 1–22. , , .
- 1974. Central England temperatures—monthly means 1659 to 1973. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 100: 389–405. .
- 2011. Complexities in the climate of the subpolar North Atlantic: a case study from 2007. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 137: 757–767. , , .
- 2001. United Kingdom and Ireland precipitation variability and the North Atlantic sea-level pressure field. International Journal of Climatology 21: 939–959. , .
- 2011. Winter 2009/2010 temperatures and a record-breaking North Atlantic Oscillation index. Weather 66: 19–21. .
- 2005. Uncertainties in central England temperature 1878–2003 and some improvements to the maximum and minimum series. International Journal of Climatology 25: 1173–1188. , .
- 2010. A link between reduced Barents-Kara sea ice and cold winter extremes over northern continents. Journal of Geophysical Research 115: D21111. , .
- 2008. The Greenland flow distortion experiment. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 89: 1307–1324. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Spatial and temporal patterns of annual precipitation variability over the Iberian Peninsula. International Journal of Climatology 18: 299–316. , , , .
- 1939. Relation between variations in the intensity of the zonal circulation of the atmosphere and the displacements of the semipermanent centers of action. Journal of Marine Research 2(1): 38–55. .
- 1990. A contribution to the study of action centers in the North-Atlantic. International Journal of Climatology 10(3): 247–261. .
- 2007. How useful are teleconnection patterns for explaining variability in extratropical storminess? Tellus A 59: 170–181. , , .
- 1997. Icelandic low cyclone activity: climatological features, linkages with the NAO, and relationships with recent changes in the Northern Hemisphere circulation. Journal of Climate 10: 453–464. , , , .
- 2009. Persistent positive North Atlantic oscillation mode dominated the medieval climate anomaly. Science 324: 78–80. , , , , , .
- 1978. Seesaw in winter temperatures between Greenland and Northern Europe.1. General description. Monthly Weather Review 106: 296–310. , .
- 2010. Dynamical influences on European climate: an uncertain future. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A—Mathematical Physical and Engineering Sciences 368: 3733–3756. .
- 2010. Variability of the North Atlantic eddy-driven jet stream. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 136: 856–868. , , .