Tropical cyclogenesis induced by ITCZ breakdown in association with synoptic wave train over the western North Pacific
Version of Record online: 27 JUL 2013
© 2013 Royal Meteorological Society
Atmospheric Science Letters
Volume 14, Issue 4, pages 294–300, October/December 2013
How to Cite
Cao, X., Chen, G. and Chen, W. (2013), Tropical cyclogenesis induced by ITCZ breakdown in association with synoptic wave train over the western North Pacific. Atmosph. Sci. Lett., 14: 294–300. doi: 10.1002/asl2.452
- Issue online: 24 OCT 2013
- Version of Record online: 27 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 1 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 30 JUL 2012
- National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Number: 41275001
- Special Scientific Research project for Public Welfare. Grant Number: GYHY201006021
- 1972. Note on ITCZ wave disturbances and formation of Tropical Storm Anna. Monthly Weather Review 100: 733–737. .
- 1989. Atlantic tropical systems of 1988. Monthly Weather Review 117: 2260–2265. , .
- 1962. On the stability of internal baroclinic jets in a rotating atmosphere. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 19: 159–172. , .
- 1963. A note on large-scale motions in the Tropics. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 20: 607–608. .
- 2004. Role of the monsoon gyre in the interannual variation of tropical cyclone formation over the western North Pacific. Weather and Forecasting 19: 776–785. , , , .
- 2009. Interannual variation of the mixed Rossby-gravity waves and their impact on tropical cyclogenesis in the western North Pacific. Journal of Climate 22: 535–549. , .
- 2000. Climatology of sign reversals of the meridional potential vorticity gradient over Africa and Australia. Monthly Weather Review 128: 3890–3900. , .
- 1979. Lanczos filtering in one and two dimensions. Journal of Applied Meteorology 18: 1016–1022. .
- 1986. An air–sea interaction theory for tropical cyclones. Part I: steady-state maintenance. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 43: 585–605. .
- 2007. Analysis of tropical cyclogenesis in the western North Pacific for 2000 and 2001. Weather and Forecasting 22: 763–780. , , , .
- 1993. Hurricane spiral bands. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 50: 3380–3403. , .
- 1989. Response of the Hadley circulation to convective forcing in the ITCZ. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 46: 2957–2973. , , , .
- 1995. Scale interaction in the western Pacific monsoon. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 56: 57–79. .
- 2010. An observational study of multiple tropical cyclone events in the western North Pacific. Tellus 62: 256–265. , .
- 2001. Rossby waves in zonally opposing mean flow: behavior in northwest Pacific summer monsoon. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 58: 1035–1050. , , , .
- 1990. Observed structure and propagation characteristics of tropical summertime synoptic-scale disturbances. Monthly Weather Review 118: 1888–1913. , .
- 2006. Origin of the summertime synoptic-scale wave train in the western North Pacific. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 63: 1093–1102. .
- 2006. Tropical cyclogenesis associated with Rossby wave energy dispersion of a preexisting typhoon. Part I: satellite data analyses. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 63: 1377–1389. , .
- 1997. Barotropic aspects of ITCZ breakdown. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 54: 261–285. , .
- 1969. A note on the barotropic instability of the tropical easterly current. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 47: 127–130. , .
- 1999. Development of synoptic-scale disturbances over the summertime tropical northwest Pacific. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 56: 3106–3127. , .
- 1993. 3–5 day disturbances coupled with convection in the tropical Pacific Ocean. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 71: 221–245. , .
- 1993. Two paradigms of baroclinic-wave life-cycle behaviour. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 119: 17–55. , , .
- 2005. ITCZ breakdown in three-dimensional flows. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 62: 1497–1512. , .
- 2006. The ITCZ in the central and eastern Pacific on synoptic time scales. Monthly Weather Review 134: 1405–1421. , .
- 1999. The interaction of easterly waves, orography, and the intertropical convergence zone in the genesis of eastern Pacific tropical cyclones. Monthly Weather Review 127: 1566–1585. , , .