This is the final column that I will be writing as President of INSAR: On May 4, 2013 I will hand the gavel over to our President-elect: Francesca Happe at the business meeting to be held during the International Meeting for Autism Research, in Donostia / San Sebastian in heart of the Basque region of Spain. Being the President of INSAR has been an extremely rewarding experience. It has been an exciting two years during which we developed our first strategic plan, and began to make significant progress on all our key initiatives.
This year we are particularly proud that we are living up to our name as an international society. For the first time IMFAR will be held in a non-English speaking country in Europe. The conference chair is Joaquin Fuentes, a native of Basque country, and one of the most remarkable people I have ever met—if you are able to attend IMFAR 2013 you will understand this statement! Our program chair is Thomas Bourgeron from Paris, and the program features several panels covering research developments outside North America. All the main sessions will be offered with simultaneous translation from English into Basque, French and Spanish—and the tapes from these sessions will be available after the conference in these languages as well as in English.
Our new President is from England and we look forward to the opportunities this will bring to INSAR, in expanding our horizons, and particularly bringing in new members (student, regular and affiliate) from around the world. As a reminder, here are the benefits we offer to our members (see also information on the website: http://www.autism-insar.org/membership)—if you aren't already a member, consider signing up today!—
- International Meeting for Autism Research (IMFAR). Members of INSAR do not pay for submitting abstracts and receive a reduced registration fee
- Free online access to our flagship journal: Autism Research
- Access to members only sections of the INSAR website
- Complimentary job postings on the website
- Eligibility to vote in elections and participate in committee activities
- Eligibility to serve as abstract reviewers, submit applications for Special Interest Groups (SIGs) and Educational Symposia for IMFAR
- Access to session recordings from past IMFAR meetings (through myINSAR)
- Eligibility to apply for INSAR Travel Awards
My term as President has been wonderful fun—I would like to thank my board members for all their support, energy, creativity, and hard work: Past-President, David Amaral; past-Treasurer, Laura Klinger, Vice President, Lonnie Zwaigenbaum, Treasurer, Kevin Pelphrey, Secretary, Nancy Minshew, and Tony Bailey, Editor of Autism Research. All our work is made possible by the tireless efforts of Jennifer Gentry and guidance from Sue Berry, both of Association Resources. Thank you all!
I look forward to seeing many of you at IMFAR 2013!