NIEHS Symposium Proceedings
Fetal nicotinic overload, blunted sympathetic responsivity, and obesity
Version of Record online: 15 JUN 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Birth Defects Research Part A: Clinical and Molecular Teratology
Volume 73, Issue 7, pages 481–484, July 2005
How to Cite
Levin, E. D. (2005), Fetal nicotinic overload, blunted sympathetic responsivity, and obesity. Birth Defects Research Part A: Clinical and Molecular Teratology, 73: 481–484. doi: 10.1002/bdra.20162
- Issue online: 6 JUL 2005
- Version of Record online: 15 JUN 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 MAR 2005
- Manuscript Received: 13 JAN 2005
- 1980. Sympathetic innervation and the development of structure and function of brown adipose tissue: studies on lambs chemically sympathectomized in utero with 6-hydroxydopamine. J Dev Physiol 2: 119–137. , .
- 2003. High fat feeding is associated with increased blood pressure, sympathetic nerve activity and hypothalamic mu opioid receptors. Brain Res Bull 61: 211–219. , , , et al.
- 1998. Innervation of mammalian white adipose tissue: implications for the regulation of total body fat. Am J Physiol 275: R1399–R1411. , .
- 1986. Nicotine as a psychoactive drug: appetite regulation. Psychopharmacol Bull 22: 875–881. .
- 1984. Effects of nicotine on body weight and food consumption in rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 83: 93–98. , , .
- 1987. Sex differences in nicotine's effects on consummatory behavior and body weight in rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 91: 221–225. , , .
- 1992. Task force 2: methods and assessment, strategies for research. Health Psychol 11(Suppl): 10–16. , , , et al.
- 2004. Behavioral alterations in adolescent and adult rats after a brief subtoxic exposure to chlorpyrifos during neurulation. Neurotoxicol Teratol 26: 95–101. , , , et al.
- 1989. Smoking, body weight, and their effects on smoking behavior: a comprehensive review of the literature. Psychol Bull 106: 204–230. , .
- 1999. Pesticides and inner-city children: exposures, risks, and prevention. Environ Health Perspect 107(Suppl 3): 431–437. , , , et al.
- 1993a. Prenatal nicotine exposure and cognitive performance in rats. Neurotoxicol Teratol 15: 251–260. , , , .
- 1993b. Sertraline attenuates nicotine withdrawal-induced hyperphagia in rats. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 44: 51–61. , , , .
- 1996. Prenatal nicotine effects on memory in rats: pharmacological and behavioral challenges. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 97: 207–215. , , , et al.
- 1998. Developmental neurotoxicity of nicotine. In: SlikkerWJr, ChangLW, editors. Handbook of developmental neurotoxicology. San Diego: Academic Press. pp. 587–615. , .
- 2001. Persistent behavioral consequences of neonatal chlorpyrifos exposure in rats. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 130: 83–89. , , , et al.
- 2002. Prenatal chlorpyrifos exposure in rats causes persistent behavioral alterations. Neurotoxicol Teratol 24: 733–741. , , , et al.
- 2004a. Fetal nicotinic impacts on weight gain later in life. In: Proceedings of the Twenty-First International Neurotoxicology Conference, Honolulu, HI. February 10–14, 2004. .
- 2004b. Obesity as a target of behavioral toxicology. In: Behavioral Toxicology Society, Annual Meeting. April 28–30, 2004. Research Triangle Park, NC. .
- 2001. The continuing epidemics of obesity and diabetes in the United States. JAMA 286: 1195–1200. , , , et al.
- 1990. Prenatal nicotine exposure impairs beta-adrenergic function: persistent chronotropic subsensitivity despite recovery from deficits in receptor binding. Brain Res Bull 25: 233–237. , , , et al.
- 2002. Fetal environment and subsequent obesity: a study of maternal smoking. Int J Epidemiol 31: 413–419. , .
- 2003. Fetal chlorpyrifos exposure: adverse effects on brain cell development and cholinergic biomarkers emerge postnatally and continue into adolescence and adulthood. Environ Health Perspect 111: 536–544. , , , et al.
- 1992. Fetal nicotine exposure ablates the ability of postnatal nicotine challenge to release norepinephrine from rat brain regions. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 69: 288–291. , , , .
- 2001. Persistent cholinergic presynaptic deficits after neonatal chlorpyrifos exposure. Brain Res 902: 229–243. , , , .
- 2002. Functional alterations in CNS catecholamine systems in adolescence and adulthood after neonatal chlorpyrifos exposure. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 287: 163–173. , , , .
- 2002. Childhood obesity is associated with maternal smoking in pregnancy. Eur J Pediatr 161: 445–448. , , , et al.
- 2002. Maternal smoking during pregnancy and childhood obesity. Am J Epidemiol 156: 954–961. , , ,
- 2003. Contemporary-use pesticides in personal air samples during pregnancy and blood samples at delivery among urban minority mothers and newborns. Environ Health Perspect 111: 749–756. , , , et al.
- 2003. Does maternal smoking during pregnancy cause childhood overweight? Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 17: 171–179. , , , .
- 1984. Maternal adipose tissue response to nicotine administration in the pregnant rat: effects on fetal body fat and cellularity. Br J Nutr 51: 7–13. , .
- 1998. Effects of fetal and neonatal environment on sympathetic nervous system development. Diabetes Care 21: B156–B160. , .