This article is a US Government work and, as such, is in the public domain in the United States of America.
Version of Record online: 3 AUG 2007
Copyright © 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Birth Defects Research Part A: Clinical and Molecular Teratology
Volume 79, Issue 9, pages 631–641, September 2007
How to Cite
Johnson, C. S., Zucker, R. M., Hunter, E. S. and Sulik, K. K. (2007), Perturbation of retinoic acid (RA)-mediated limb development suggests a role for diminished RA signaling in the teratogenesis of ethanol. Birth Defects Research Part A: Clinical and Molecular Teratology, 79: 631–641. doi: 10.1002/bdra.20385
This work has been presented, in part, at the 62nd annual meeting of the Society for Developmental Biology, July 30–August 3, 2003 in Boston, MA and at the 44th annual meeting of the Teratology Society, June 26–July 1, 2004 in Vancouver, BC.
Disclaimer: Although the research described in this article has been supported in part by the United States Environmental Protection Agency, it has not been subjected to Agency review and therefore does not necessarily reflect the views of the Agency and no official endorsement should be inferred. Mention of trade names or commercial products does not constitute endorsement or recommendation for use.
- Issue online: 6 SEP 2007
- Version of Record online: 3 AUG 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 JUN 2007
- Manuscript Revised: 14 MAY 2007
- Manuscript Received: 31 JAN 2007
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. Grant Number: RO1 AA11605
- 2002. Sonic hedgehog rescues cranial neural crest from cell death induced by ethanol exposure. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99: 10476–10481. , , .
- 2006. Novel Retinoid Targets in the Mouse Limb during Organogenesis. Toxicol Sci 94: 139–152. , .
- 1997. Morphological and biochemical characterization and analysis of apoptosis. J Pharmacol Toxicol Meth 37: 215–228. , , .
- 2005. Shh signaling in limb bud ectoderm: potential role in teratogen-induced postaxial ectrodactyly. Dev Dyn 233: 313–325. , , , et al.
- 1999. Disrupting the establishment of polarizing activity by teratogen exposure. Mech Dev 88: 147–157. , , .
- 1995. RAR-specific agonist/antagonists which dissociate transactivation and AP1 transrepression inhibit anchorage-independent cell proliferation. EMBO J 14: 1187–1197. , , , et al.
- 2004. Gestational ethanol exposure disrupts the expression of Fgf8 and Sonic hedgehog during limb patterning. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 70: 163–171. , , , et al.
- 2001. Whole-mount in situ hybridization to mouse embryos. Methods 23: 335–338. , .
- 1981. Radiological aspects of the fetal alcohol syndrome. Pediatr Radiol 11: 151–153. , .
- 1996. Ethanol inhibition of retinoic acid synthesis as a potential mechanism for fetal alcohol syndrome. FASEB J 10: 1050–1057. , , .
- 1991. A hypothetical mechanism for fetal alcohol syndrome involving ethanol inhibition of retinoic acid synthesis at the alcohol dehydrogenase step. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 15: 568–572. .
- 2000. Role of dHand in the anterior-posterior polarization of the limb bud: implications for the Sonic hedgehog pathway. Development 127: 2133–2142. , , , et al.
- 1992. Congenital defects of the limbs and alcohol exposure in pregnancy: data from a population based study. Am J Med Genet 44: 782–785. , .
- 1994. Relationship between retinoic acid and sonic hedgehog, two polarizing signals in the chick wing bud. Development 120: 3267–3274. , , .
- 1996. Retinoic acid signaling is required during early chick limb development. Development 122: 1385–1394. , , , et al.
- 1980. Tetraectrodactyly and other skeletal manifestations in the fetal alcohol syndrome. Eur J Pediatr 133: 221–226. , , .
- 1973. Recognition of the fetal alcohol syndrome in early infancy. Lancet 2: 999–1001. , .
- 1973. Pattern of malformation in offspring of chronic alcoholic mothers. Lancet 1: 1267–1271. , , , et al.
- 1992. Pathogenesis of ethanol-induced limb reduction defects in mice. Teratology 46: 323–332. , , , et al.
- 1976. Teratogenic effects of ethyl alcohol administered to pregnant mice. Am J Obstet Gynecol 124: 676–680. .
- 1968. Les enfants de parents alcooliques: Anomalies observŕes s̀ propos de 127 cas. Ouest Med 21: 476–482. , , , et al.
- 2000. Fgf8 signalling from the AER is essential for normal limb development. Nat Genet 26: 460–463. , , .
- 1994. Function of the retinoic acid receptors (RARs) during development (I). Craniofacial and skeletal abnormalities in RAR double mutants. Development 120: 2723–2748. , , , et al.
- 2001. Cloning of a novel retinoic-acid metabolizing cytochrome P450, Cyp26B1, and comparative expression analysis with Cyp26A1 during early murine development. Mech Dev 107: 195–201. , , , et al.
- 1995. A role for Fgf8 in the initiation and maintenance of vertebrate limb bud outgrowth. Curr Biol 5: 797–806. , , , et al.
- 2004. Retinoic acid synthesis controlled by Raldh2 is required early for limb bud initiation and then later as a proximodistal signal during apical ectodermal ridge formation. J Biol Chem 279: 26698–26706. , , .
- 2000. Fgf8 is required for outgrowth and patterning of the limbs. Nat Genet 26: 455–459. , .
- 2006. Essential roles of Gli3 and sonic hedgehog in pattern formation and developmental anomalies caused by their dysfunction. Congenit Anom (Kyoto) 46: 123–128. .
- 2002. Embryonic retinoic acid synthesis is required for forelimb growth and anteroposterior patterning in the mouse. Development 129: 3563–3574. , , , et al.
- 1977. Limb-reduction anomalies in infants born to Disulfiram-treated alcoholic mothers. Lancet 2: 664. , , .
- 1997. The mesenchymal factor, Fgf10, initiates and maintains the outgrowth of the chick limb bud through interaction with Fgf8, an apical ectodermal factor. Development 124: 2235–2244. , , , et al.
- 1991. Hypothesis: prenatal ethanol-induced birth defects and retinoic acid. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 15: 565–567. .
- 1993. Sonic hedgehog mediates the polarizing activity of the ZPA. Cell 75: 1401–1416. , , , et al.
- 2001. BMS-189453, a novel retinoid receptor antagonist, is a potent testicular toxin. Toxicol Sci 59: 297–308. , , , et al.
- 2005. Cadmium-induced postaxial forelimb ectrodactyly: association with altered sonic hedgehog signaling. Reprod Toxicol 19: 479–485. , , , et al.
- 1979. The orthopedic aspects of the fetal alcohol syndrome. Clin Orthop Relat Res 139: 58–63. , , , et al.
- 1996. Retinoic acid is required for the initiation of outgrowth in the chick limb bud. Curr Biol 6: 1124–1133. , , .
- 1997. Hoxb-8 has a role in establishing early anterior-posterior polarity in chick forelimb but not hindlimb. Development 124: 4225–4234. , , .
- 1981. Fetal alcohol syndrome: embryogenesis in a mouse model. Science 214: 936–938. , , .
- 2002. Functions of Fgf signalling from the apical ectodermal ridge in limb development. Nature 418: 501–508. , , .
- 1999. Complementary domains of retinoic acid production and degradation in the early chick embryo. Dev Biol 216: 282–296. , , , et al.
- 1978. Furrows and dermal ridges of the hand in patients with alcohol embryopathy. Hum Genet 42: 307–314. , .
- 1982. Human aldehyde dehydrogenase: mechanism of inhibition of Disulfiram. Science 216: 637–639. , .
- 1981. Major skeletal defects in the fetal alcohol syndrome. A case report. S Afr Med J 59: 687–688. .
- 1974. Ethanol inhibition of vitamin A metabolism in the testes: possible mechanism for sterility in alcoholics. Science 186: 941–942. , , .
- 2005. Fetal alcohol syndrome epidemiology in a South African community: a second study of a very high prevalence area. J Stud Alcohol 66: 593–604. , , , et al.
- 1996. Involvement of Fgf8 in initiation, outgrowth and patterning of the vertebrate limb. Development 122: 1737–1750. , , .
- 1983. Some teratogenic properties of ethanol and acetaldehyde in C57BL/6J mice: implications for the study of the fetal alcohol syndrome. Teratology 27: 231–243. , , , et al.
- 1997. cDNA cloning of human retinoic acid-metabolizing enzyme (hP450RAI) identifies a novel family of cytochromes P450. J Biol Chem 272: 18538–18541. , , , et al.
- 2005. The mechanisms of dorsoventral patterning in the vertebrate neural tube. Dev Biol 282: 1–13. , .
- 1999. Retinoic acid receptor antagonist BMS453 inhibits the growth of normal and malignant breast cells without activating RAR-dependent gene expression. Breast Cancer Res Treat 56: 277–291. , , , et al.
- 1998. The interaction of ethanol and vitamin A as a potential mechanism for the pathogenesis of Fetal Alcohol syndrome. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 22: 1544–1556. , .
- 2006. Whole insect and mammalian embryo imaging with confocal microscopy: morphology and apoptosis. Cytometry A 69: 1143–1152. .
- 2000. Confocal laser scanning microscopy of morphology and apoptosis in organogenesis-stage mouse embryos. Methods Mol Biol 135: 191–202. , , .
- 2006. Confocal laser scanning microscopy of whole mouse ovaries: excellent morphology, apoptosis detection, and spectroscopy. Cytometry A 69: 930–939. , .