Human teratogens: Update 2010
Version of Record online: 6 JAN 2011
Copyright © 2011 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Birth Defects Research Part A: Clinical and Molecular Teratology
Volume 91, Issue 1, pages 1–7, January 2011
How to Cite
Holmes, L. B. (2011), Human teratogens: Update 2010. Birth Defects Research Part A: Clinical and Molecular Teratology, 91: 1–7. doi: 10.1002/bdra.20748
- Issue online: 19 JAN 2011
- Version of Record online: 6 JAN 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 SEP 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 13 SEP 2010
- Manuscript Received: 5 AUG 2010
- 2006. The Structural and Functional Teratology of Antiepileptic Medications. Human Developmental Neurotoxicology. In: BellingerD, editor. Taylor and Francis, New York. , , .
- 2007. Use of selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitors in pregnancy and the risk of birth defects. N Engl J Med 356: 2684–2692. , , , et al.
- 1994. Clusters of anophthalmia. No link with benomyl in Italy. BMJ 308: 205. , , , et al.
- 2002. Effects on toes from prenatal exposure to anticonvulsants. Teratology 66: 122–126. , , , et al.
- 1977. Litigation-produced pain, disease and suffering: an experience with congenital malformations lawsuits. Teratology 16: 1–13. .
- 1978. Weak teratogens. Teratology 17: 183. .
- 1995. Bendectin: review of the medical literature of a comprehensively studied human nonteratogen and the most prevalent teratogen-litigen. Reprod Toxicol 9: 337–349. .
- 2009. Determination of human teratogenicity by the astute clinician method: review of illustrative agents and a proposal of guidelines. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 85: 63–68. , , , et al.
- 2009. A safety assessment of tumor necrosis factor antagonists during pregnancy: a review of the Food and Drug Administration database. J Rheumatol 36: 635–641. , , , et al.
- 2006a. Selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitors and risk of persistent pulmonary hypertension of the newborn. N Engl J Med 354: 579–587. , , , et al.
- 2006b. Human pregnancy safety for agents used to treat rheumatoid arthritis: adequacy of available information and strategies for developing post-marketing data. Arthritis Res Ther 8: 215. , , , .
- 1997. A physiologically based pharmacokinetic model for retinoic acid and its metabolites. J Am Acad Dermatol 36(3 Pt 2): S77–S85. , , , .
- 2004. Assessing teratogenicity of antiretroviral drugs: monitoring and analysis plan of the Antiretroviral Pregnancy Registry. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 13: 537–545. , , , .
- 2002. Intracytoplasmic sperm injection mayincrease the risk of imprinting defects. Am J Hum Genet 71: 162–164. , , , et al.
- 2009. Antibacterial medication use during pregnancy and risk of birth defects: National Birth Defects Prevention Study. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 163: 978–985. , , , et al.
- 1991. Association between holoprosencephaly and exposure to topical retinoids: results of the EUROCAT survey. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 5: 445–447. , , , et al.
- 2004. Central nervous system and limb anomalies in case reports of first-trimester statin exposure. N Engl J Med 350: 1579–1582. , .
- 1993. Clinical teratology counseling and consultation case report: low dose methotrexate exposure in pregnancy in the early weeks of pregnancy. Teratology 47: 533–539. , .
- 1997. Reading and language in 9- to 12-year-olds prenatally exposed to cigarettes and marijuana. Neurotoxicol Teratol 19: 171–183. , , , et al.
- 1990. Potential human teratogenicity of frequently prescribed drugs. Obstet Gynecol 75: 594–599. , , , et al.
- 1980. Maternal and fetal sequelae of anticoagulation during pregnancy. Am J Med 68: 122–140. , , .
- 1965. The environment and disease: association or causation? Proc R Soc Med 58: 295–300. .
- 1988. Acetazolamide: maternal toxicity, pattern of malformations, and litter effect. Teratology 37: 335–342. , , .
- 2008. Increased frequency of isolated cleft palate in infants exposed to lamotrigine during pregnancy. Neurology 70(22 Pt 2): 2152–2158. , , , et al.
- 1986. Risks of anticoagulant therapy in pregnant women with artificial heart valves. N Engl J Med 315: 1390–1393. , , , et al.
- 1991. Quantitative analysis of associations between birth defects and suspected human teratogens. Am J Med Genet 40: 500–505. , , .
- 2008. Drugs and biologics in pregnancy and breastfeeding: FDA in the 21st century. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 82: 605–609. .
- 1985. Retinoic acid embryopathy. N Engl J Med 313: 837–841. , , , et al.
- 1980. Maternal phenylketonuria and hyperphenylalaninemia. An international survey of the outcome of untreated and treated pregnancies. N Engl J Med 303: 1202–1208. , .
- 1966. Malformations caused by drugs in pregnancy. Am J Dis Child 112: 99–106. .
- 1971. How can the teratogenic action of a factor be established in man? South Med J 64 Suppl 1: 41–50. .
- 2002. Teratogenicity of recently introduced medications in human pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol 100: 465–473. , .
- 2007. First-trimester use of selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitors and the risk of birth defects. N Engl J Med 356: 2675–2683. , , , et al.
- 2000. Digit effects produced by prenatal exposure to antiepileptic drugs. Teratology 61: 277–283. , , , et al.
- 2005. Increased prevalence of imprinting defects in patients with Angelman syndrome born to subfertile couples. J Med Genet 42: 289–291. , , , et al.
- 2002. Outcome of pregnancy in women attending an outpatient epilepsy clinic: adverse features associated with higher doses of sodium valproate. Seizure 11: 512–518. , , , .
- 2009. Thalidomide and misoprostol: ophthalmologic manifestations and associations both expected and unexpected. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 85: 667–676. , , .
- 2006. Malformation risks of antiepileptic drugs in pregnancy: a prospective study from the UK Epilepsy and Pregnancy Register. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 77: 193–198. , , , et al.
- 1992. The risk of spina bifida aperta after first-trimester exposure to valproate in a prenatal cohort. Neurology 42( 4 Suppl 5): 119–125. , , , et al.
- 2000. The plasticizer diethylhexyl phthalate induces malformations by decreasing fetal testosterone synthesis during sexual differentiation in the male rat. Toxicol Sci 58: 339–349. , , , et al.
- 2008. Maternal exposure to statins and risk for birth defects: a case-series approach. Am J Med Genet A 146A: 2701–2705. , , , et al.
- 1994. Holoprosencephaly with first trimester topical tretinoin. Teratology 49: 418. , , .
- 1995. High prevalence of muscular ventricular septal defect in neonates. J Am Coll Cardiol 26: 1545–1548. , , , et al.
- 2009. Pregnancy outcome, thyroid dysfunction and fetal goiter after in utero exposure to propylthiouracil: a controlled cohort study. Brit J Clin Pharm 68: 609–617. , , , et al.
- 2005. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors in pregnant women and neonatal withdrawal syndrome: a database analysis. Lancet 365: 482–487. , , , et al.
- 2008. Baby care products: possible sources of infant phthalate exposure. Pediatrics 121: e260–e268. , , , et al.
- 2010. Paroxetine exposure during pregnancy and cardiac malformations. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 88: 175–177. .
- 1997. Safety of first-trimester exposure to topical tretinoin: prospective cohort study. Lancet 350: 1143–1144. , , , .
- 1994. “Proof” of human teratogenicity. Teratology 50: 97–98. .
- 2004. Monitoring outcomes of pregnancy following drug exposure: a company-based pregnancy registry program. Drug Saf 27: 353–367. , , , et al.
- 2006. Pregnancy outcomes in solid organ transplant recipients with exposure to mycophenolate mofetil or sirolimus. Transplantation 82: 1698–1702. , , , et al.
- 2008. Recruitment of an unexposed control group for a pregnancy registry. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 82: 311. , .
- 2005. Decrease in anogenital distance among male infants with prenatal phthalate exposure. Environ Health Perspect 113: 1056–1061. , , , et al.
- 2002. Teratogen update: fetal effects after in utero exposure to cournarins overview of cases, follow-up findings, and pathogenesis. Teratology 66: 127–140. , , , et al.
- 2002. Maternal cigarette smoking, metabolic gene polymorphism, and infant birth weight. JAMA 287: 195–202. , , , et al.
- 2001. Is this drug safe in pregnancy? Reprod Toxicol 15: 619–629. , .
- 1973. Present status of drugs as teratogens in man. Teratology 7: 3–15. .
- 2005. Increased rate of major malformations in offspring exposed to valproate during pregnancy. Neurology 64: 961–965. , , , et al.