Both authors contributed equally to this work.
Moderately high intake of folic acid has a negative impact on mouse embryonic development
Article first published online: 2 NOV 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Birth Defects Research Part A: Clinical and Molecular Teratology
Volume 97, Issue 1, pages 47–52, January 2013
How to Cite
Mikael, L. G., Deng, L., Paul, L., Selhub, J. and Rozen, R. (2013), Moderately high intake of folic acid has a negative impact on mouse embryonic development. Birth Defects Research Part A: Clinical and Molecular Teratology, 97: 47–52. doi: 10.1002/bdra.23092
- Issue published online: 10 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 2 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 25 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 19 JUN 2012
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research. Grant Number: RR, grant number MOP-43232
- 2009.The extremely slow and variable activity of dihydrofolate reductase in human liver and its implications for high folic acid intake.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:15424–15429. , .
- 2010.Folic acid to reduce neonatal mortality from neural tube disorders.Int J Epidemiol 39 Suppl 1:i110–i121. , , , .
- 2011.The impact of mandatory fortification of flour with folic acid on the blood folate levels of an Australian population.Med J Aust 194:65–67. , , , et al.
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC). 1991. Use of folic acid for prevention of spina bifida and other neural tube defects–1983–1991. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 40:513–516.
- 2010.Low dietary choline and low dietary riboflavin during pregnancy influence reproductive outcomes and heart development in mice.Am J Clin Nutr 91:1035–1043. , , , et al.
- 2007.Folic acid for the prevention of colorectal adenomas: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA 297:2351–2359. , , , et al.
- 2011.Folic acid food fortification—its history, effect, concerns, and future directions.Nutrients 3:370–384. , , .
- 1992.Prevention of the first occurrence of neural-tube defects by periconceptional vitamin supplementation.N Engl J Med 327:1832–1835. , .
- 2009.Nutritional interpretation of folic acid interventions.Nutr Rev 67:235–244. .
- 2004.Postnatal closure of membranous ventricular septal defects in Sprague-Dawley rat pups after maternal exposure with trimethadione.Birth Defects Res B Dev Reprod Toxicol 71:185–190. , , .
- 2004.Mice deficient in methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase exhibit tissue-specific distribution of folates.J Nutr 134:2975–2978. , , , .
- 2011.Pre- and postfortification intake of folate and risk of colorectal cancer in a large prospective cohort study in the United States.Am J Clin Nutr 94: 1053–1062. , , , et al.
- 2008.Perspectives on obesity and sweeteners, folic acid fortification and vitamin D requirements.Fam Pract 25 Suppl 1:i44–i49. .
- 2009.Folate rescues lithium-, homocysteine- and Wnt3A-induced vertebrate cardiac anomalies.Dis Model Mech 2:467–478. , , , et al.
- 1995.Maternal-to-fetal transfer of 5-methyltetrahydrofolate by the perfused human placental cotyledon: evidence for a concentrative role by placental folate receptors in fetal folate delivery.J Lab Clin Med 126:184–203. , , , et al.
- 2011.Long-term effect of low-dose folic acid intake: potential effect of mandatory fortification on the prevention of neural tube defects.Am J Clin Nutr 94: 136–141. , , , et al.
- 2011.Folate status of reproductive age women and neural tube defect risk: the effect of long-term folic acid supplementation at doses of 140 μg and 400 μg per day.Nutrients 3:49–62. , , , et al.
- 2007.Model systems for the study of heart development and disease. Cardiac neural crest and conotruncal malformations.Semin Cell Dev Biol 18:101–110. , .
- 2001.Infant methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase 677TT genotype is a risk factor for congenital heart disease.Cardiovasc Res 51:251–254. , , , et al.
- 2001.The atlas of mouse development.London, United Kingdom:Academic Press. .
- 2011.Preventing neural tube defects with folic acid: nearly 20 years on, the majority of women remain unprotected.J Obstet Gynaecol 31:581–585. .
- 2009.Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase deficiency and low dietary folate reduce tumorigenesis in Apc min/+ mice.Gut 58:805–811. , , .
- 2005.Maternal methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase deficiency and low dietary folate lead to adverse reproductive outcomes and congenital heart defects in mice.Am J Clin Nutr 82:188–195. , , , et al.
- 2011.Folic acid supplementation can adversely affect murine neural tube closure and embryonic delay.Hum Mol Genet 20:3678–3683. , , , .
- 2007.A temporal association between folic acid fortification and an increase in colorectal cancer rates may be illuminating important biological principles: a hypothesis.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 16:1325–1329. , , , et al.
- New Zealand Ministry of Health. 2003. Improving folate intake in New Zealand: Policy implications. ISBN 0-478-25663–9.
- 2012.Estimation of trends in serum and RBC folate in the U.S. population from pre- to postfortification using assay-adjusted data from the NHANES 1988–2010.J Nutr 142:886–893. , , , et al.
- 2011.High intake of folic acid disrupts embryonic development in mice.Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 91:8–19. , , , et al.
- 2009.Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase deficiency and low dietary folate increase embryonic delay and placental abnormalities in mice.Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 85:531–541. , , , et al.
- 1993.AIN-93 purified diets for laboratory rodents: final report of the American Institute of Nutrition ad hoc writing committee on the reformulation of the AIN-76A rodent diet.J Nutr 123:1939–1951. , , .
- 2006. The Hordaland Homocysteine Study: a community-based study of homocysteine, its determinants, and associations with disease.J Nutr 136(6 Suppl):1731S–1740S. , , , et al.
- 2010.Safety considerations and potential interactions of vitamins: should vitamins be considered drugs?Ann Pharmacother 44:311–324. , , .
- 2009.Congenital diseases of the heart: clinical-physiological considerations.3rd ed.New York:Wiley-Blackwell. .
- 2011.High levels of folate from supplements and fortification are not associated with increased risk of colorectal cancer.Gastroenterology 141:98–105. , , , et al.
- 2006.Unmetabolized folic acid in plasma is associated with reduced natural killer cell cytotoxicity among postmenopausal women.J Nutr 136:189–194. , , , et al.
- 2002.Closure of ventricular septal defects: a study of factors influencing spontaneous and surgical closure.Cardiol Young 12:357–363. , , .
- 2010.Protective effect of periconceptional folic acid supplements on the risk of congenital heart defects: a registry-based case-control study in the northern Netherlands.Eur Heart J 31:464–471. , , , et al.
- 1998.Cardiac neural crest cells provide new insight into septation of the cardiac outflow tract: aortic sac to ventricular septal closure.Dev Biol 196:129–144. , , , .
- 2001.Association of the C677T methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase mutation and elevated homocysteine levels with congenital cardiac malformations.Am J Obstet Gynecol 184:806–812; discussion 812–817. , , , .
- 2008.Vitamin B12 and folate concentrations during pregnancy and insulin resistance in the offspring: the Pune Maternal Nutrition Study.Diabetologia 51:29–38. , , , et al.
- 2006.Maternal and offspring MTHFR gene C677T polymorphism as predictors of congenital atrial septal defect and patent ductus arteriosus.Mol Hum Reprod 12:51–54. , , , et al.