Disclosure of interest: The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.
Article first published online: 2 JAN 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Birth Defects Research Part A: Clinical and Molecular Teratology
Volume 97, Issue 1, pages 60–66, January 2013
How to Cite
Beurskens, L. W. J. E., Schrijver, L. H., Tibboel, D., Wildhagen, M. F., Knapen, M. F. C. M., Lindemans, J., de Vries, J. and Steegers-Theunissen, R. P. M. (2013), Dietary vitamin A intake below the recommended daily intake during pregnancy and the risk of congenital diaphragmatic hernia in the offspring . Birth Defects Research Part A: Clinical and Molecular Teratology, 97: 60–66. doi: 10.1002/bdra.23093
Contribution to authorship: L.W.J.E. Beurskens: inclusion of patients, data input and analysis, drafting manuscript; L.H. Schrijver: data input and analysis, drafting manuscript; D. Tibboel: primary researcher, inclusion of patients, manuscript revision; M.F. Wildhagen: database management and data extraction; M.F.C. Knapen: inclusion of patients, manuscript revision; J. Lindemans: sample analysis, manuscript revision; J. de Vries: design questionnaires and data analysis, manuscript revision; R.P.M. Steegers-Theunissen, primary researcher, data analysis, manuscript revisions.
Details of ethics approval: Permission to conduct the study was granted by the Central Committee of Research in Human in The Hague, The Netherlands, and by the Medical Ethical Committee of Erasmus University Rotterdam (MEC-2006-158; July 20, 2006).
Supported by a grant from the Mother and Child Center of the Erasmus Medical Centre – Sophia's Children's Hospital.
- Issue published online: 10 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 2 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 17 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 11 MAY 2012
- American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Surgery; American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Fetus and Newborn, , .2008.Postdischarge follow-up of infants with congenital diaphragmatic hernia.Pediatrics 121:627–632.
- 1941.Incidence of congenital diaphragmatic hernia in the young of rats bred on a diet deficient in vitamin.Am J Dis Child 62:888–889. .
- 1992.Correlations of vitamin A and E intakes with the plasma concentrations of carotenoids and tocopherols among American men and women.J Nutr 122:1792–1801. , , , et al.
- 2009.The role of nutrition, lifestyle factors, and genes in the pathogenesis of congenital diaphragmatic hernia: human and animal studies.Nutr Rev 67:719–730. , , .
- 2010.Retinol status of newborn infants is associated with congenital diaphragmatic hernia.Pediatrics 126:712–720. , , , et al.
- 2009.Underreporting of food intake among Mexican/Mexican-American Women: rates and correlates.J Am Diet Assoc 109:624–632. , , , et al.
- 2005.Energy requirements during pregnancy and lactation.Public Health Nutr 8:1010–1027. , .
- 2004.Energy requirements during pregnancy based on total energy expenditure and energy deposition.Am J Clin Nutr 79:1078–1087. , , , et al.
- 2010.Maternal vitamin A supplementation and lung function in offspring.N Engl J Med 362:1784–1794. , , , et al.
- 2010.A retinoic acid-dependent network in the foregut controls formation of the mouse lung primordium.J Clin Invest 120:2040–2048. , , , et al.
- 2008.Gene expression in the developing diaphragm: significance for congenital diaphragmatic hernia.Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 294:L665–L675. , , .
- 2008.Does social class predict diet quality?Am J Clin Nutr 87:1107–1117. , .
- 2000. Continuity and change in women's weight orientations and lifestyle practices through pregnancy and the postpartum period: the influence of life course trajectories and transitional events. Soc Sci Med 50:567–582. , ,
- 2008.Environmental factors in the etiology of esophageal atresia and congenital diaphragmatic hernia: results of a case-control study.Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 82:98–105. , , , et al.
- 1993.Relative and biomarker-based validity of a food-frequency questionnaire estimating intake of fats and cholesterol.Am J Clin Nutr 58:489–496. , , , et al.
- 1995.Reproducibility of a semiquantitative food frequency questionnaire to assess the intake of fats and cholesterol in The Netherlands.Int J Food Sci Nutr 46:117–123. , , , et al.
- Food and Nutrition Board, Institute of Medicine.2001.Optimal nutrition: vitamin A and the carotenoids.Washington, DC:National Academy Press 44–59.
- 2008.Under-reporting of energy intake in the Canadian Community Health Survey.Health Rep 19:37–45. .
- 1979.Hypervitaminosis A induced teratogenesis.CRC Crit Rev Toxicol 6:351–375. .
- 1991.Critical evaluation of energy intake data using fundamental principles of energy physiology: 1. Derivation of cut-off limits to identify under-recording.Eur J Clin Nutr 45:569–581. , , , et al.
- 2007.Genetic factors in congenital diaphragmatic hernia.Am J Hum Genet 80:825–845. , , , et al.
- 2002.Energy and protein requirements during pregnancy. Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations. Food and Agriculture Organization corporate document repository. .
- 2005.Congenital diaphragmatic hernia and chromosome 15q26: determination of a candidate region by use of fluorescent in situ hybridization and array-based comparative genomic hybridization.Am J Hum Genet 76:877–882. , , , et al.
- 1985.Retinoic acid embryopathy.N Engl J Med 313:837–841. , , , et al.
- 2005.Changes in basal metabolic rate during pregnancy in relation to changes in body weight and composition, cardiac output, insulin-like growth factor I, and thyroid hormones and in relation to fetal growth.Am J Clin Nutr 81:678–685. , , , et al.
- 1998.Retinol status of newborn infants with congenital diaphragmatic hernia.Pediatr Surg Int 13:547–549. , , , et al.
- 1999.High vitamin A intake in early pregnancy and major malformations: a multicenter prospective controlled study.Teratology 59:7–11. , , , et al.
- 2009.Pregnancy-related changes in activity energy expenditure and resting metabolic rate in Switzerland.Eur J Clin Nutr 63:1185–1191. , , , .
- 1994.Function of the retinoic acid receptors (RARs) during development (II). Multiple abnormalities at various stages of organogenesis in RAR double mutants.Development 120:2749–2771. , , , et al.
- 2003.Retinal dehydrogenase-2 is inhibited by compounds that induce congenital diaphragmatic hernias in rodents.Am J Pathol 162:673–679. , , , et al.
- 1998.Periconceptional vitamin A use: how much is teratogenic?Reprod Toxicol 12:75–88. , , , et al.
- 1994.The function of vitamin A in cellular growth and differentiation, and its roles during pregnancy and lactation.Adv Exp Med Biol 352:187–200. , .
- 2008.Underreporting of energy intake in Brazilian women varies according to dietary assessment: a cross-sectional study using doubly labeled water.J Am Diet Assoc 108:2031–2040. , , , et al.
- 1985.Predicting basal metabolic rate, new standards and review of previous work.Hum Nutr Clin Nutr 39 Suppl 1:5–41. .
- 2008.A nutritional model of late embryonic vitamin A deficiency produces defects in organogenesis at a high penetrance and reveals new roles for the vitamin in skeletal development.Dev Biol 316:171–190. , , , .
- 2005.Diet and eating habits in high and low socioeconomic groups.Nutrition 21:559–566. , , , et al.
- 1995.Risks of orofacial clefts in children born to women using multivitamins containing folic acid periconceptionally.Lancet 346:393–396. , , , et al.
- Statistics Netherlands.2008.The Dutch Standard Classification of Education, SOI 2006.
- 1999.Vitamin A decreases the incidence and severity of nitrofen-induced congenital diaphragmatic hernia in rats.Am J Physiol 277(2 Pt 1):L423–L429. , , , et al.
- 1992.A population-based study of congenital diaphragmatic hernia.Teratology 46:555–565. , , , .
- 2009.Body mass index is an important determinant of methylation biomarkers in women of reproductive ages.J Nutr 139:2315–2321. , , , et al.
- 2007.Validation of the assessment of folate and vitamin B12 intake in women of reproductive age: the method of triads.Eur J Clin Nutr 61:610–615. , , , et al.
- 2000.Socioeconomic inequalities in risk of congenital anomaly.Arch Dis Child 82:349–352. , , , et al.
- 2003.Vitamin A deficiency disorders in children and women.Food Nutr Bull 24(4 Suppl):S78–S90. .
- 1998.Nutritional epidemiology.2nd edition ed.New York, Oxford:Oxford University Press. .
- 2006.Epidemiologic characteristics of congenital diaphragmatic hernia among 2.5 million California births, 1989–1997.Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 76:170–174. , , , .
- 2008.Nutrient intakes in women and congenital diaphragmatic hernia in their offspring.Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 82:131–138. , , , et al.