This work was supported through cooperative agreements under PA 96043, PA 02081, and FOA DD09-001 from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to the Centers for Birth Defects Research and Prevention participating in the National Birth Defects Prevention Study.
Association between reported venlafaxine use in early pregnancy and birth defects, national birth defects prevention study, 1997–2007†
Article first published online: 26 DEC 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Birth Defects Research Part A: Clinical and Molecular Teratology
Volume 97, Issue 1, pages 28–35, January 2013
How to Cite
Polen, K. N. D., Rasmussen, S. A., Riehle-Colarusso, T., Reefhuis, J. and and the National Birth Defects Prevention Study (2013), Association between reported venlafaxine use in early pregnancy and birth defects, national birth defects prevention study, 1997–2007. Birth Defects Research Part A: Clinical and Molecular Teratology, 97: 28–35. doi: 10.1002/bdra.23096
Presented at the 23rd Annual Meeting of the Society for Pediatric and Perinatal Epidemiologic Research, Seattle, Washington, June 23–24, 2010, the 43rd Annual Meeting of the Society for Epidemiologic Research, Seattle, Washington, June 21–24, 2010, the 50th Annual Meeting of the Teratology Society, Louisville, Kentucky, June 26–30, 2010, the 31st Annual David W. Smith Workshop on Malformations and Morphogenesis, Union, Washington, August 27–September 1, 2010, and the 27th International Conference on Pharmacoepidemiology and Therapeutic Risk Management, Chicago, Illinois, August 14–17, 2011.
Disclaimer: The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Issue published online: 10 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 26 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 27 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 10 AUG 2012
- 2010. Maternal use of bupropion and risk for congenital heart defects. Am J Obstet Gynecol 203: 52.e1–52.e6. , , , et al.
- 2011. Patterns of antidepressant medication use among pregnant women in a United States population. J Clin Pharmacol 51: 264–270. , , , et al.
- 2007. Use of selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitors in pregnancy and the risk of birth defects. N Engl J Med 356: 2684–2692. , , , et al.
- 2008. Use of antidepressant medications during pregnancy: a multisite study. Am J Obstet Gynecol 198: 194.e1–194.e5. , , , et al.
- 2007. Paroxetine and congenital malformations: meta-analysis and consideration of potential confounding factors. Clin Ther 29: 918–926. , , , et al.
- 2007. First trimester exposure to paroxetine and risk of cardiac malformations in infants: the importance of dosage. Birth Defects Res B Dev Reprod Toxicol 80: 18–27. , , , et al.
- 2004. Perinatal risks of untreated depression during pregnancy. Can J Psychiatry 49: 726–735. , , , et al.
- 2001. Serotonin and serotonin-like substances as regulators of early embryogenesis and morphogenesis. Cell Tissue Res 305: 177–186. , , .
- 1997. 5-HT2B receptor-mediated serotonin morphogenetic functions in mouse cranial neural crest and myocardiac cells. Development 124: 1745–1755. , , , et al.
- 2009. Control selection and participation in an ongoing, population-based, case-control study of birth defects: the National Birth Defects Prevention Study. Am J Epidemiol 170: 975–985. , , , et al.
- 2007. Paroxetine in the first trimester and the prevalence of congenital malformations. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 16: 1075–1085. , , , .
- 2007. Increasing use of antidepressants in pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 196: 544.e1–544.e5. , , , .
- 2008. Diabetes mellitus and birth defects. Am J Obstet Gynecol 199: 237.e1–237.e9. , , , et al.
- 2007. Maternal serotonin is crucial for murine embryonic development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104: 329–334. , , , et al.
- 1999. Postnatal development of rats exposed to fluoxetine or venlafaxine during the third week of pregnancy. Braz J Med Biol Res 32: 93–98. , , , et al.
- 2008. Paroxetine and fluoxetine in pregnancy: a prospective, multicentre, controlled, observational study. Brit J Clin Pharmacol 66: 695–705. , , , et al.
- 1990. Recall bias in a case-control study of sudden infant death syndrome. Int J Epidemiol 19: 405–411. , , .
- 2009. Incidence of major malformations in infants following antidepressant exposure in pregnancy: results of a large prospective cohort study. Can J Psychiatry 54: 242–246. , , , .
- 2001. Pregnancy outcome following gestational exposure to venlafaxine: a multicenter prospective controlled study. Am J Psychiatry 158: 1728–1730. , , , et al.
- 2008. Evaluation of the risk of congenital cardiovascular defects associated with use of paroxetine during pregnancy. Am J Psychiatry 165: 749–752. , , , et al.
- 2007. Effects of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and venlafaxine during pregnancy in term and preterm neonates. Pediatrics 119: 52–59. , , , et al.
- 2010. A meta-analysis of depression during pregnancy and the risk of preterm birth, low birth weight, and intrauterine growth restriction. Arch Gen Psychiatry 67: 1012–1024. , , , et al.
- 2009. Trends in antidepressant utilization from 2001 to 2004. Psychiatr Serv 60: 611–616. , , .
- 2009. Norepinephrine transport-mediated gene expression in noradrenergic neurogenesis. BMC Genomics 10: 151. , , .
- 2004a. Fluoxetine use in early pregnancy. Birth Defects Res B Dev Reprod Toxicol 71: 395–396. .
- 2004b. Neonate characteristics after maternal use of antidepressants in late pregnancy. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 158: 312–316. .
- 2007. Maternal use of selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors in early pregnancy and infant congenital malformations. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 79: 301–308. , .
- 1994. On the use of affected controls to address recall bias in case-control studies of birth-defects. Teratology 49: 273–281. , , .
- 1988. Neurotransmitters as morphogens. Prog Brain Res 73: 365–387. .
- 2007. Delivery outcome in relation to maternal use of some recently introduced antidepressants. J Clin Psychopharmacol 27: 607–613. , .
- 2007. First-trimester use of selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitors and the risk of birth defects. N Engl J Med 356: 2675–2683. , , , et al.
- 1989. An investigation of report bias in a case-control study of pregnancy outcome. Am J Epidemiol 129: 65–75. , .
- 2010. National trends in the treatment for depression from 1998 to 2007. Arch Gen Psychiatry 67: 1265–1273. , .
- 1986. Effect of questionnaire design on recall of drug exposure in pregnancy. Am J Epidemiol 123: 670–676. , , .
- 2000. The role of serotonin and neurotransmitters during craniofacial development. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 11: 230–239. .
- 1995. Serotonin regulates mouse cranial neural crest migration. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92: 7182–7186. , .
- 2000. Serotonin 2B receptor is required for heart development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97: 9508–9513. , , , et al.
- 2001. A novel role for serotonin in heart. Trends Cardiovasc Med 11: 329–335. , .
- 2008. Major congenital malformations following prenatal exposure to serotonin reuptake inhibitors and benzodiazepines using population-based health data. Birth Defects Res B Dev Reprod Toxicol 83: 68–76. , , , et al.
- 2009. National patterns in antidepressant medication treatment. Arch Gen Psychiatry 66: 848–856. , .
- 2003. Guidelines for case classification for the National Birth Defects Prevention Study. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 67: 193–201. , , , et al.
- 2010. Delivery outcome after maternal use of antidepressant drugs in pregnancy: an update using Swedish data. Psychol Med 40: 1723–1733. , .
- 2001. Autocrine regulation of norepinephrine transporter expression. Mol Cell Neurosci 17: 539–550. , , , et al.
- 2003. Ubiquitous embryonic expression of the norepinephrine transporter. Dev Neurosci 25: 1–13. , , , .
- 2006. Anxiety disorders during pregnancy and the postpartum period: a systematic review. J Clin Psychiatry 67: 1285–1298. , .
- 2011. A systematic review of duloxetine and venlafaxine in major depression, including unpublished data. Acta Psychiatr Scand 123: 247–265. , , , et al.
- 2000. Norepinephrine transporter expression and function in noradrenergic cell differentiation. Mol Cell Biochem 212: 61–70. , .
- 2003. SNRIs versus SSRIs: mechanisms of action in treating depression and painful physical symptoms. Primary Care Companion J Clin Psychiatry 5( Suppl 7): 19–26. .
- 2000. Frequency of prenatal diagnosis of birth defects in Houston, Galveston and the Lower Rio Grande Valley, Texas 1995. Fetal Diagn Ther 15: 348–354. , , , et al.
- 2009. Congenital heart disease associated with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor use during pregnancy. Mayo Clin Proc 84: 23–27. , , , et al.
- 2004. Newer antidepressants in pregnancy: prospective outcome of a case series. Reprod Toxicol 19: 235–238. , , , et al.
- 2009. The management of depression during pregnancy: a report from the American Psychiatric Association and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 31(3): 403–413. , , , et al.
- 2001. The National Birth Defects Prevention Study. Public Health Rep 116 Suppl 1: 32–40. , , , et al.
- 1997. Neurotrophin-3- and norepinephrine-mediated adrenergic differentiation and the inhibitory action of desipramine and cocaine. J Neurobiol 32: 262–280. , , , et al.
- 1985. Congenital heart disease in relation to maternal use of Bendectin and other drugs in early pregnancy. N Engl J Med 313: 347–352. , .