Forebrain and hindbrain development in zebrafish is sensitive to ethanol exposure involving agrin, Fgf, and sonic hedgehog function
Version of Record online: 27 NOV 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Birth Defects Research Part A: Clinical and Molecular Teratology
Volume 97, Issue 1, pages 8–27, January 2013
How to Cite
Zhang, C., Ojiaku, P. and Cole, G. J. (2013), Forebrain and hindbrain development in zebrafish is sensitive to ethanol exposure involving agrin, Fgf, and sonic hedgehog function. Birth Defects Research Part A: Clinical and Molecular Teratology, 97: 8–27. doi: 10.1002/bdra.23099
- Issue online: 10 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 27 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 5 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 15 JUN 2012
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: U54 AA019765
- 2002. Sonic hedgehog rescues cranial neural crest from cell death induced by ethanol exposure. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99: 10476–10481. , , , et al.
- 1996. Embryonic precursor cells from the rhombic lip are specified to a cerebellar granule neurons identity. Neuron 17: 389–399. , , .
- 2008. Fetal ethanol exposure activates protein kinase A and impairs Shh expression in prechordal mesendoderm cells in the pathogenesis of holoprosencephaly. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 82: 224–231. , , , et al.
- 2006. Teratogenic effects of ethanol exposure on zebrafish visual system development. Neurotoxicol Teratol 28: 342–348. , , , et al.
- 2009. Anatomy of zebrafish cerebellum and screen for mutations affecting its development. Dev Biol 330: 406–426. , , , et al.
- 1977. The effect of ethanol chronically administered to preweanling rats on cerebellar development: a morphological study. Brain Res 119: 249–268. , .
- 1997. Math1 is essential for genesis of cerebellar granule neurons. Nature 390: 169–172. , , , et al.
- 2003. Fgf-2, NGF and IGF-1, but not BDNF, utilize a nitric oxide pathway to signal neurotrophic and neuroprotective effects against alcohol toxicity in cerebellar granule cell cultures Brain Res Dev Brain Res 140: 15–28. , , , .
- 2004. Abrogation of heparan sulfate synthesis in Drosophila disrupts the Wingless, Hedgehog and Decapentaplegic signaling pathways. Development 131: 1927–1938. , , , et al.
- 2004. Ethanol effects on the developing zebrafish: neurobehavior and skeletal morphogenesis. Neurotoxicol Teratol 26: 757–768. , , , .
- 1991. Ocular manifestations in fetal alcohol syndrome. Br J Ophthalmol 75: 524–526. , , , .
- 1997. Hearing, speech, language, and vestibular disorders in the fetal alcohol syndrome: a literature review. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 21: 495–512. , .
- 1981. Recognition of fetal alcohol syndrome. JAMA 245: 2436–2439. .
- 1978. Brain malformations related to prenatal exposure to ethanol. J Pediatr 92: 64–67. , , , et al.
- 1985. Natural loss of Purkinje cells during development and increased loss with alcohol. Brain Res 325: 151–160. , .
- 1999. Sonic hedgehog regulates the growth and patterning of the cerebellum. Development 126: 3089–3100. , .
- 1997. Morphometric analysis of the postnatal mouse optic nerve following prenatal exposure to alcohol. J Anat 191(Pt 1): 49–56. , .
- 2001. Selective vulnerability of embryonic cell populations to ethanol-induced apoptosis: implications for alcohol-related birth defects and neurodevelopmental disorder. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 25: 1523–1535. , , , et al.
- 2002. Hindbrain and cranial nerve dysmorphogenesis result from acute maternal ethanol administration. Dev Neurosci 24: 328–342. , , .
- 1999. Abnormal synapse formation in agrin-depleted hippocampal neurons. J Cell Sci 112(Pt 24): 4729–4738. .
- 2010. Magnetic resonance microscopy defines ethanol-induced brain abnormalities in prenatal mice: effects of acute insult on gestational day 7. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 34: 98–111. , , , et al.
- 2005. Cerebellar granule cell and Bergmann glial cell maturation in the rat is disrupted by pre- and post-natal exposure to moderate levels of ethanol. Int J Dev Neurosci 23: 383–388. , .
- 1990. A single day of alcohol exposure during the brain growth spurt induces brain weight restriction and cerebellar Purkinje cell loss. Alcohol 7: 107–114. , , .
- 1997. Alcohol-induced Purkinje cell loss with a single binge exposure in neonatal rats: a stereological study of temporal windows of vulnerability. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 21: 738–744. , .
- 2003. Sonic hedgehog and bone morphogenetic protein regulate interneuron development from dorsal telencephalic progenitors in vitro. J Neurosci 23: 9862–9872. , .
- 2012. Effects of vitamin A deficiency and opioids on parvalbumin + interneurons in the hippocampus of the HIV-1 transgenic rat. Curr HIV Res 10: 463–468. , , , et al.
- 1993. The effects of the timing of ethanol exposure during the brain growth spurt on the number of cerebellar Purkinje and granule cell nuclear profiles. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 17: 610–622. , .
- 1999. Synapse formation and agrin expression in stratospheroid cultures from embryonic chick retina. Dev Biol 214: 412–428. , .
- 2003. Genetic analysis of the roles of Hh, Fgf8, and nodal signaling during catecholaminergic system development in the zebrafish brain. J Neurosci 23: 5507–5519. , , .
- 2000. Ethanol-induced apoptotic neurodegeneration and fetal alcohol syndrome. Science 287: 1056–1060. , , , et al.
- 2008. Maturation-dependent alcohol resistance in the developing mouse: cerebellar neuronal loss and gene expression during alcohol-vulnerable and -resistant periods. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 32: 1439–1450. , , .
- 2007. Mechanisms for persistent microphthalmia following ethanol exposure during retinal neurogenesis in zebrafish embryos. Vis Neurosci 24: 409–421. , , .
- 2011. Ethanol-induced microphthalmia is not mediated by changes in retinoic acid or sonic hedgehog signaling during retinal neurogenesis. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 35: 1644–1661. , , .
- 2003. The heparan sulfate proteoglycan agrin modulates neurite outgrowth mediated by Fgf-2. J Neurobiol 55: 261–277. , , , .
- 2007. Agrin is required for posterior development and motor axon outgrowth and branching in embryonic zebrafish. Glycobiology 17: 231–247. , , , et al.
- 2007. Synapse loss in cortex of agrin-deficient mice after genetic rescue of perinatal death. J Neurosci 27: 7183–7195. , , , et al.
- 2010. Inhibition of cerebellar granule cell turning by alcohol. Neuroscience 170: 1328–1344. , , , et al.
- 2007. Fetal alcohol exposure impairs Hedgehog cholesterol modification and signaling. Lab Invest 87: 231–240. , , , et al.
- 2008. Retina development in zebrafish requires the heparan sulfate proteoglycan agrin. Dev Neurobiol 68: 877–898. , , , .
- 2009. Deciphering the role of Shh signaling in axial defects produced by ethanol exposure. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 85: 556–567. , .
- 2008. Nr4a2 is essential for the differentiation of dopaminergic neurons during zebrafish embryogenesis. Mol Cell Neurosci 39: 202–210. , , , et al.
- 2012. Mechanisms of ethanol-induced death of cerebellar granule cells. Cerebellum 11: 145–154. .
- 1997. Nerve growth factor and basic fibroblast growth factor protect rat cerebellar granule cells in culture against ethanol-induced cell death. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 21: 1108–1120. , , .
- 1997. Fetal alcohol exposure and temporal vulnerability regional differences in alcohol-induced microencephaly as a function of the timing of binge-like alcohol exposure during rat brain development. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 21: 1418–1428. , , , .
- 1999. Fetal alcohol exposure and temporal vulnerability: regional differences in cell loss as a function of the timing of binge-like alcohol exposure during brain development. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 23: 726–734. , , , .
- 2001. A long, remarkable journey: tangential migration in the telencephalon. Nat Rev Neurosci 2: 780–790. , .
- 1996. Brain anomalies in fetal alcohol syndrome. In: Abel EL, editor. Fetal alcohol syndrome: from mechanism to prevention. Boca Raton: CRC Press. pp. 50–68. , .
- 1998. A review of the neurobehavioral deficits in children with fetal alcohol syndrome or prenatal exposure to alcohol. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 22: 279–294. , .
- 2000. Effect of neonatal ethanol exposure on parvalbumin-expressing GABAergic neurons of the rat medial septum and cingulate cortex. Alcohol 21: 49–57. , , .
- 2005. Fgf19 regulated by Hh signaling is required for zebrafish forebrain development. Dev Biol 288: 259–275. , , , .
- 1995. Permanent neuronal cell loss in the cerebellum of rats exposed to continuous low blood alcohol levels during the brain growth spurt: a stereological investigation. J Comp Neurol 362: 283–292. , .
- 1987. Identification of agrin, a synaptic-organizing protein from Torpedo electric organ. J Cell Biol 105( 6 Pt 1): 2471–2478. , , , et al.
- 2000. Ethanol-induced apoptotic neurodegeneration in the developing brain. Apoptosis 5: 515–521. , , , .
- 2002. Ethanol-induced apoptotic neurodegeneration in the developing C57BL/6 mouse brain. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 133: 115–126. , , , et al.
- 2000. Fgfs, heparan sulfate and FgfRs: complex interactions essential for development. Bioassays 22: 108–112. .
- 2003. Drosophila perlecan modulates Fgf and hedgehog signals to activate neural stem cell division. Dev Biol 253: 247–257. , , , et al.
- 2009. Magnetic resonance microscopy defines ethanol-induced brain abnormalities in prenatal mice: effects of acute insult on gestational day 8. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 33: 1001–1011. , , , et al.
- 1979. Alcohol embryo- and fetopathy. Neuropathology of 3 children and 3 fetuses. J Neurol Sci 41: 125–137. , , , et al.
- 1988. Effects of ethanol on neurotransmitter release and intracellular free calcium in PC12 cells. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 244: 417–422. , .
- 2004. Ethanol- and acetaldehyde-mediated developmental toxicity in zebrafish. Neurotoxicol Teratol 26: 769–781. , , .
- 2006. Ethanol exposure during embryogenesis decreases the radial glial progenitor pool and affects the generation of neurons and astrocytes. J Neurosci Res 84: 483–496. , , , .
- 1985. Ocular abnormalities in the fetal alcohol syndrome. Acta Ophthamol Suppl 171: 1–50. .
- 1994. Optic nerve hypoplasia: comparative effects in children and rats exposed to alcohol during pregnancy. Teratology 50: 100–111. , .
- 1981. Fetal alcohol syndrome: embryogenesis in a mouse model. Science 214: 936–938. , , .
- 1982. Embryonic origin of holoprosencephaly: interrelationship of the developing brain and face. Scan Electron Microsc (Pt 1): 309–322. , .
- 1984. Brain malformations in prenatal mice following acute maternal ethanol administration. Int J Dev Neurosci 2: 203–214. , , .
- 2005. Expression of a secreted form of Dally, a Drosophila glypican, induces overgrowth phenotype by affecting action range of Hedgehog. Dev Biol 284: 204–218. , , , et al.
- 1995. Agrin is a heparan sulfate proteoglycan. J Biol Chem 270: 3392–3399. , , , .
- 1995. Alterations of mouse embryonic branchial nerves and ganglia induced by ethanol. Neurotoxicol Teratol 17: 497–506. , , , .
- 2008. The zebrafish cerebellar rhombic lip is spatially patterned in producing granule cell populations of different functional compartments. Dev Biol 313: 167–180. , , , .
- 1999. Purkinje-cell-derived Sonic hedgehog regulates granule neuron precursor cell proliferation in the developing mouse cerebellum. Curr Biol 9: 445–448. .
- 2005. Math1 expression redefines the rhombic lip derivatives and reveals novel lineages within the brainstem and cerebellum. Neuron 48: 31–43. , , .
- 1999. Control of neuronal precursor proliferation in the cerebellum by Sonic Hedgehog. Neuron 22: 103–114. , .
- 2002. Differential modulation of BMP signaling promotes the elaboration of cerebral cortical GABAergic neurons or oligodendrocytes from a common sonic hedgehog-responsive ventral forebrain progenitor species. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99: 16273–16278. , , , et al.
- 2011. Agrin function associated with ocular development is a target of ethanol exposure in embryonic zebrafish. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 91: 129–141. , , , et al.