Knowledge and periconceptional use of folic acid for the prevention of neural tube defects in ethnic communities in the United Kingdom: Systematic review and meta-analysis
Version of Record online: 19 JUL 2013
Copyright © 2014 The Authors Birth Defects Research Part A: Clinical and Molecular Teratology Published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Birth Defects Research Part A: Clinical and Molecular Teratology
Volume 97, Issue 7, pages 444–451, July 2013
How to Cite
Peake, J. N., Copp, A. J. and Shawe, J. (2013), Knowledge and periconceptional use of folic acid for the prevention of neural tube defects in ethnic communities in the United Kingdom: Systematic review and meta-analysis. Birth Defects Research Part A: Clinical and Molecular Teratology, 97: 444–451. doi: 10.1002/bdra.23154
- Issue online: 19 JUL 2013
- Version of Record online: 19 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 8 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 30 NOV 2012
- Grand Challenges PhD studentship from University College London
- Sparks. Grant Number: 09ICH01
- Newlife. Grant Number: 11/12-06
- 2009. Update on prevention of folic acid-preventable spina bifida and anencephaly. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 85:102–107. , .
- 2005. International retrospective cohort study of neural tube defects in relation to folic acid recommendations: are the recommendations working? Br Med J 330:571. , , , et al.
- 2009. Social and ethnic differences in folic acid use preconception and during early pregnancy in the UK: effect on maternal folate status. J Hum Nutr Diet 22:100–107. , , , et al.
- 2005. Preventing neural tube defects in Europe: a missed opportunity. Reprod Toxicol 20:393–402. , , , et al.
- CDC. 1992. Recommendations for the use of folic acid to reduce the number of cases of spina bifida and other neural tube defects. MMWR Recomm Rep 41(RR-14):1–7. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00019479.htm Accessed on March 5, 2013.
- CDC. 2004. Spina bifida and anencephaly before and after folic acid mandate --- United States, 1995--1996 and 1999—2000. MMWR. 53:362–365. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5317a3.htm Accessed on November 13, 2012.
- CDC. 2007. Folate status in women of childbearing age, by race/ethnicity --- United States, 1999--2000, 2001--2002, and 2003—2004. MMWR. 55:1377–1380. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5551a2.htm Accessed on March 5, 2013.
- 1989. Perinatal mortality in different ethnic groups. Arch Dis Child 64:1036–1041. , .
- 1994. Minimal compliance with the Department of Health recommendation for routine folate prophylaxis to prevent fetal neural tube defects. Br J Obstet Gynaecol 101:709–710. , .
- 1992. Prevention of the first occurrence of neural-tube defects by periconceptional vitamin supplementation. N Engl J Med 327:1832–1835. , .
- 2007. Reduction in neural-tube defects after folic acid fortification in Canada. N Engl J Med 357:135–142. , , , et al.
- 2004. Millennium cohort study first survey: a user's guide to initial findings. Available at: http://eprints.ioe.ac.uk/5933/1/MCS1_A_Users_Guide_To_Initial_Findings.pdf Accessed on March 5, 2013. , .
- 2008. Did national folic acid fortification reduce socioeconomic and racial disparities in folate status in the US? Int J Epidemiol 37:1059–1066. , .
- 2011. Folic acid and human reproduction-ten important issues for clinicians. J Exp Clin Assist Reprod 8:2. , , , et al.
- EUROCAT. 2009. Special report: prevention of neural tube defects by periconceptional folic acid supplementation in Europe. Available at: http://www.eurocat-network.eu/preventionandriskfactors/folicacid/folicacidspecialreports Accessed on March 19, 2012.
- 2011. Ethnicity and obesity in the UK. Perspect Public Health 131:159–160. , .
- 2009. Genetics of human neural tube defects. Hum Mol Genet 18:R113–R129. , , .
- 2001. The use of pre-conceptional folic acid as an indicator of uptake of a health message amongst white and Bangladeshi women in Tower Hamlets, east London. Fam Pract 18:300–303. , , .
- 1999. Use of folic acid by pregnant British Pakistani women: a qualitative pilot study. Health Educ J 58:139–145. , .
- 1997. Knowledge about folic acid and the prevention of neural tube defects in two general practice populations. Br J Gen Pract 47:231–232. .
- 2011. Preventing neural tube defects with folic acid: nearly 20 years on, the majority of women remain unprotected. J Obstet Gynaecol 31:581–585. .
- 1995. Birth prevalence of malformations in members of different ethnic groups and in the offspring of matings between them, in Birmingham, England. J Epidemiol Commun Health 49:171–179. , .
- 2006. Perinatal mortality and congenital anomalies in babies of women with type 1 or type 2 diabetes in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland: population based study. Br Med J 333:177. , , , et al.
- MRC Vitamin Study Research Group. 1991. Prevention of neural tube defects: results of the Medical Research Council Vitamin Study. Lancet 338:131–137.
- 1998. Folate deficiency, neural tube defects, and cardiac disease in UK Indians and Pakistanis. Lancet 351:1105. , , , et al.
- 1999. The 'Folic Acid Campaign': has the message got through? A questionnaire study. J Obstet Gynaecol 19:22–25. , , , et al.
- ONS. 2012. 2011 census: key statistics for England and Wales, March 2011. Statistical Bulletin. Available at: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171778_290685.pdf Accessed on March 5, 2013.
- 1998. Changing preconceptions (volume 2): the HEA folic acid campaign 1995–1998 (research report). Available at: http://www.nice.org.uk/aboutnice/whoweare/aboutthehda/hdapublications/ Accessed on April 24, 2012. , , , et al.
- 1996. Views of Asians and non-Asians on sources of drug information and the desirability for medication to be made available over the counter. Br J Gen Pract 46:609–610. , , .
- SHINE. 2012. Having sex? Then before you frolic Go Folic! Available at: http://www.gofolic.co.uk/leaflets.aspx Accessed on March 5, 2013.
- 2008. Use of folic acid supplements, particularly by low-income and young women: a series of systematic reviews to inform public health policy in the UK. Public Health Nutr 11:807–821. , .
- 2008. Fortification of selected foodstuffs with folic acid in the UK: consumer research carried out to inform policy recommendations. J Public Health 30:23–29. , , , et al.
- 1995. West Midlands Congenital Anomaly Register. Neural tube defects 1995. A report of incidence, detection and outcome. Available at: http://www.perinatal.nhs.uk/car/reports/neural%20tube%20defects%20report.pdf Accessed on March 4, 2013. , , .
- 2007. Prepregnancy obesity as a risk factor for structural birth defects. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 161:745–750. , , , et al.
- 2007. Race-ethnicity differences in folic acid intake in women of childbearing age in the United States after folic acid fortification: findings from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2001–2002. Am J Clin Nutr 85:1409–1416. , , , et al.