Major congenital malformations following prenatal exposure to serotonin reuptake inhibitors and benzodiazepines using population-based health data
Article first published online: 21 FEB 2008
© 2008 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Birth Defects Research Part B: Developmental and Reproductive Toxicology
Volume 83, Issue 1, pages 68–76, February 2008
How to Cite
Oberlander, T. F., Warburton, W., Misri, S., Riggs, W., Aghajanian, J. and Hertzman, C. (2008), Major congenital malformations following prenatal exposure to serotonin reuptake inhibitors and benzodiazepines using population-based health data. Birth Defects Research Part B: Developmental and Reproductive Toxicology, 83: 68–76. doi: 10.1002/bdrb.20144
- Issue published online: 21 FEB 2008
- Article first published online: 21 FEB 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 DEC 2007
- Manuscript Revised: 19 NOV 2007
- Manuscript Received: 17 OCT 2007
- BC Ministry of Children and Family Development
- The Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research
- 2003. Effects of an educational compliance enhancement programme and therapeutic drug monitoring on treatment adherence in depressed patients managed by general practitioners. Int Clin Psychopharmacol 18:347–354. , , , .
- 1996. Pharmacologic management of psychiatric illness during pregnancy: dilemmas and guidelines. Am J Psychiatry 153:592–606. , , , , , .
- 2007. Use of selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitors in pregnancy and the risk of birth defects. N Engl J Med 356:2684–2692. , , , , .
- 2007. First trimester exposure to paroxetine and risk of cardiac malformations in infants: the importance of dosage. Birth Defects Res B Dev Reprod Toxicol 80:18–27. , , , , , .
- 1998. Creating a population-based linked health database: a new resource for health services research. Can J Public Health 89:270–273. , , , , , .
- 1996. Birth outcomes in pregnant women taking fluoxetine. New Engl J Med 335:1010–1015. , , , , .
- 1992. Evaluation of anticonvulsant drugs during pregnancy in a population-based Hungarian study. Eur J Epidemiol 8:122–127. , , .
- 1998. When can odds ratios mislead? BMJ 316:989–991. , , .
- 2005. Paroxetine and fluoxetine in pregnancy: a multicenter, prospective, controlled study. Reprod Toxicol 20:459. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Newer antidepressants in pregnancy and rates of major malformations: a meta-analysis of prospective comparative studies. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 14:823–827. , .
- 1999. Delivery outcome after the use of antidepressants in early pregnancy. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 55:503–508. , , .
- GlaxoSmithKline. 2006. Clinical trail register. http://ctr gsk co uk/welcome asp.
- Health Canada advises of potential adverse effects of SSRIs and other anti-depressants on newborns. 2004. http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/english/protection/warnings/2004/2004_44.htm 7-9-2004. http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/english/protection/warnings/2004/2004_44.htm 7-9-2004. http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/english/protection/warnings/2004/2004_44.htm.
- 2002. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and cytochrome P-450 mediated drug-drug interactions: an update. Curr Drug Metab 3:13–37. , .
- 2003. Birth outcomes after prenatal exposure to antidepressant medication. Am J Obstet Gynecol 188:812–815. , , , , , .
- 2004. NTP-CERHR Expert Panel Report on the reproductive and developmental toxicity of fluoxetine. Birth Defects Res B Dev Reprod Toxicol 71:193–280. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. The incidence of congenital heart disease. J Am Coll Cardiol 39:1890–1900. , .
- 2002. Effects of commonly used benzodiazepines on the fetus, the neonate, and the nursing infant. Psychiatr Serv 53:39–49. , , .
- 2007. Maternal use of selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors in early pregnancy and infant congenital malformations. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 79:301–308. , .
- 2003. A new approach to integrating data from multiple informants in psychiatric assessment and research: mixing and matching contexts and perspectives. Am J Psychiatry 160:1566–1577. , , , , , .
- 2007. First-trimester use of selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitors and the risk of birth defects. N Engl J Med 356:2675–2683. , , , , .
- 2005. Risks associated with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors in pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol 106:1289–1296. , , .
- National Centre for Health Statistics. 2006. International classification of Diseases, ninth revision, clinical modification (ICD-9-CM). http://www cdc gov/nchs/about/otheract/icd9/abticd9.htm.
- 2001. A novel role for serotonin in heart. Trends Cardiovasc Med 11:329-335. , .
- 2001. Ablation of serotonin 5-HT(2B) receptors in mice leads to abnormal cardiac structure and function. Circulation 103:2973–2979. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Interval estimation for the difference between independent proportions: comparison of eleven methods. Stat Med 17:873–890. .
- 2000. Proportions and their differences. In: AltmanDG, MachinM, BryantD, and GardnerTN, editors. Statistics with confidence. Bristol, UK: British Medical Journal Books. p 45–56. , .
- 2004. Pharmacologic factors associated with transient neonatal symptoms following prenatal psychotropic medication exposure. J Clin Psychiatry 65:230–237. , , , , , .
- 2006. Neonatal outcomes after prenatal exposure to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor antidepressants and maternal depression using population-based linked health data. Arch Gen Psychiatry 63:898–906. , , , , .
- 2002. Pharmacological and therapeutic properties of valproate: a summary after 35 years of clinical experience. CNS Drugs 16:695–714. .
- 2004. Compliance with SSRI medication during 6 months of treatment for major depression: an evaluation by determination of repeated serum drug concentrations. J Affect Disord 82:443–446. , , , , .
- 1995. High prevalence of muscular ventricular septal-defect in neonates. J Am Coll Cardiol 26:1545–1548. , , , , , .
- 2002. Outcomes of prenatal antidepressant exposure. Am J Psychiatry 159:2055–2061. , , .
- STATA SE10. 2006 http://www stata com.
- Teleplan Record Specifications version 4.0. 2004. http://www hlth gov bc ca/msp/infoprac/teleplanspecs/ch1 pdf, page 27. http://www hlth gov bc ca/msp/infoprac/teleplanspecs/ch1 pdf, page 27.
- 1992. Risk-factors for conal malformations of the heart. Eur J Epidemiol 8:48–57. , .
- US Food and Drug Administration.Medwatch. 2005 http://www fda gov/medwatch/safety/2005/safety05 htm#Paxil2.
- 1999. Pharmacologic treatment of depression during pregnancy. JAMA 282:1264–1269. , , , , .
- 2006. Maternal use of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and risk of congenital malformations. Epidemiology 17:701–704. , , , , , , , .
- 1985. Congenital heart disease in relation to maternal use of Bendectin and other drugs in early pregnancy. N Engl J Med 313:347–352. , .