Lack of teratological effects in rats exposed to 20 or 60 kHz magnetic fields
Version of Record online: 18 JUL 2011
© 2011 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Birth Defects Research Part B: Developmental and Reproductive Toxicology
Special Issue: Developmental Toxicology: New Directions
Volume 92, Issue 5, pages 469–477, October 2011
How to Cite
Nishimura, I., Oshima, A., Shibuya, K. and Negishi, T. (2011), Lack of teratological effects in rats exposed to 20 or 60 kHz magnetic fields. Birth Defects Research Part B: Developmental and Reproductive Toxicology, 92: 469–477. doi: 10.1002/bdrb.20316
- Issue online: 17 OCT 2011
- Version of Record online: 18 JUL 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 MAY 2011
- Manuscript Received: 1 MAY 2011
- In-house budget
- Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at [http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/author resources/onlineopen.html]
- 2000. Stability and control of inductively coupled power transfer systems. IEE Proc Electr Power Appl 147:37–43. , , .
- 1999a. Utilization of developmental basic science principles in the evaluation of reproductive risks from pre- and postconception environmental radiation exposures. Teratology 59:182–204. .
- 1999b. Reproductive and teratologic effects of low-frequency electromagnetic fields: a review of in vivo and in vitro studies using animal models. Teratology 59:261–286. .
- 2009. Design and optimisation of magnetic structures for lumped inductive power transfer systems. IEEE Energy Conversion Congr Exposition. Article number 5316197:2081–2088. , , .
- 1995. Pulsed magnetic field from video display terminals enhances teratogenic effects of cytosine arabinoside in mice. Bioelectromagnetics 16:70–74. , , , et al.
- 1998. Evaluation of potential health effects of 10 kHz magnetic fields: a rodent reproductive study. Bioelectromagnetics 19:162–171. , , , et al.
- 2006. Magnetic fields of induction heaters in the framework of directive 2004/40/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council. Int J Occup Saf Ergon 12:169–176. , , , et al.
- 2002. Occupational exposures to high frequency electromagnetic fields in the intermediate range (>300 Hz–10 MHz). Bioelectromagnetics 23:568–577. , , .
- 1993. Effects of pulsed magnetic fields on the developing mouse embryo. Bioelectromagnetics 14:197–204. , , .
- 2007. Development and evaluation of intermediate frequency magnetic field exposure system for studies of in vitro biological effects. Bioelectromagnetics 28:538–545. , , , .
- 1988. The risk of miscarriage and birth defects among women who use visual display terminals during pregnancy. Am J Ind Med 13:695–706. , , .
- 1993. Effects of low-frequency magnetic fields on fetal development in rats. Bioelectromagnetics 14:205–213. , , .
- 1998a. Effects of gestational exposure to a video display terminal-like magnetic field (20-kHz) on CBA/S mice. Teratology 58:190–196. , , , et al.
- 1998b. Effects of low-frequency magnetic fields on fetal development in CBA/Ca mice. Bioelectromagnetics 19:477–485. , , , et al.
- ICH (International Conference on Harmonisation of Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human Use). 1993. ICH Harmonized Tripartite Guideline; Detection of toxicity to reproduction for medicinal products & toxicity to male fertility S5(R2), http://www.ich.org/fileadmin/Public_Web_Site/ICH_Products/Guidelines/Safety/S5_R2/Step4/S5_R2__Guideline.pdf
- ICNIRP (International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection). 2008. ICNIRP statement on EMF-emitting new technologies. Health Phys 94:376–392.
- ICNIRP (International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection). 2010. Guidelines for limiting exposure to time-varying electric and magnetic fields (1 Hz to 100 kHz). Health Phys 99:818–836.
- 1997. Increased resorptions in CBA mice exposed to low-frequency magnetic fields: an attempt to replicate earlier observations. Bioelectromagnetics 18:410–417. , , .
- 2004. Teratological studies of prenatal exposure of mice to a 20 kHz sawtooth magnetic field. Bioelectromagnetics 25:114–117. , , , et al.
- 2009. Teratological evaluation of mouse fetuses exposed to a 20 kHz EMF. Bioelectromagnetics 30:330–333. , , , et al.
- 1992. Magnetic fields of video display terminals and spontaneous abortion. Am J Epidemiol 136:1041–1051. , , , et al.
- 2002. Health and safety implications of exposure to electromagnetic fields in the frequency range 300 Hz to 10 MHz. Bioelectromagnetics 23:68–82. , , .
- 1983. Uniform magnetic field produced by three, four, and five square coils. Rev Sci Instrum 54:879–882. , , .
- 2009. Lack of chick embryotoxicity after 20 kHz, 1.1 mT magnetic field exposure. Bioelectromagnetics 30:573–582. , , .
- OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development). 2001. OECD Guideline for the Testing of Chemicals; Test No. 414: Prenatal Developmental Toxicity Study, http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/environment/test-no-414-prenatal-development-toxicity-study_9789264070820-en
- 1993. Video display terminal use during pregnancy and reproductive outcome—a meta-analysis. J Epidemiol Community Health 47:265–268. , , , .
- 1999. Intrauterine effects of electromagnetic fields-(low frequency, mid-frequency RF, and microwave): review of epidemiologic studies. Teratology 59:292–298. .
- 2000. Evaluation of the developmental toxicity of 60 Hz magnetic fields and harmonic frequencies in Sprague-Dawley rats. Radiat Res 153:637–641. , , , et al.
- 1985. Induction heating and operator exposure to electromagnetic fields. Health Phys 49:693–700. , .
- 1988. Teratological assessment of exposure to time-varying magnetic field. Teratology 38:461–466. , , , et al.
- 1995. Fetal loss in mice exposed to magnetic fields during early pregnancy. Bioelectromagnetics 16:284–289. , .
- WHO (World Health Organization). 1998. Electromagnetic fields and public health, Video Display Units (VDUs). Fact Sheet No. 201. http://www.who.int/docstore/peh-emf/publications/facts_press/efact/efs201.html
- WHO (World Health Organization). 2007. Extremely Low Frequency Fields. Environmental Health Criteria Monograph No. 238. http://www.who.int/peh-emf/publications/elf_ehc/en/index.html
- 1992. The effects of continuous exposure to 20-kHz sawtooth magnetic fields on the litters of CD-1 mice. Teratology 46:391–398. , , , et al.
- 2004. Equivalent dipole moment method to characterize magnetic fields generated by electric appliances: extension to intermediate frequencies of up to 100 kHz. IEEE Trans Electromagn Compat 46:115–120. , , , .
- 2007. Design of coil systems and buildings for generating wide intensive uniform magnetic field at intermediate frequencies. The Bioelectromagnetics Society 29th Annual Meeting Abstract P-89:404–407 [abstract P-89]. http://www.bioelectromagnetics.org/doc/bems2007-abstracts.pdf , , , et al.