Key Lessons from Performance of the U.S. EPA Endocrine Disruptor Screening Program (EDSP) Tier 1 Male and Female Pubertal Assays
Version of Record online: 7 FEB 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Birth Defects Research (Part B) published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Birth Defects Research Part B: Developmental and Reproductive Toxicology
Special Issue: Screening for Endocrine Activity – Experiences with the US EPA's Endocrine Disruptor Screening Program and Future Considerations
Volume 101, Issue 1, pages 43–62, February 2014
How to Cite
Stump, D. G., O'Connor, J. C., Lewis, J. M. and Marty, M. S. (2014), Key Lessons from Performance of the U.S. EPA Endocrine Disruptor Screening Program (EDSP) Tier 1 Male and Female Pubertal Assays. Birth Defects Research Part B: Developmental and Reproductive Toxicology, 101: 43–62. doi: 10.1002/bdrb.21097
- Issue online: 18 FEB 2014
- Version of Record online: 7 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Received: 27 OCT 2013
- 2000. The peripubertal male rat assay as an alternative to the Hershberger castrated male rat assay for the detection of antiandrogens, oestrogens and metabolic modulators. J Appl Toxicol 20:35–47. , .
- 2008. Fast induced changes in the hypothalamus-pituitary-thyroid axis. In: Thyroid economy regulation, cell biology, thyroid hormone metabolism and action: The special edition: Metabolic effects of thyroid hormones. Thyroid 18:123–129. , , .
- 2011a. Evaluation of EPA's Tier 1 Endocrine Screening Battery and recommendations for improving the interpretation of screening results. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 59:397–411. , , , , , .
- 2011b. Hypothesis-driven weight of evidence framework for evaluating data within the U.S. EPA's Endocrine Disruptor Screening Program. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 61:185–191. , , , , , , .
- 1978. High rat pup mortality attributed to the use of cedar-wood shavings as bedding. Lab. Anim. 12:221–222. , .
- 2004. The effects of feed restriction during in utero and postnatal development in CD rats. Toxicol Sci 82:237–249. , , , , , , .
- 1990. Influence of chronic alcohol administration on representative indices of puberty and sexual maturation in male rats and the development of their progeny. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 255:707–715. , , , , , .
- 1991. Influence of morphine exposure during adolescence on the sexual maturation of male rats and the development of their offspring. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 256:1086–1093. , , , , , .
- 1999. Stimulating research to improve the scientific basis of risk assessment. Toxicol Sci 49:1–4. , , .
- 1979. The rat as model for the study of drug effects on thyroid function: consideration of methodological problems. Pharmacol. Ther. B 5:305–318. , , .
- 1988. The influence of nutritional state on thyroid function in various vertebrates. Amer. Zool. 28:351–362. .
- FIFRA SAP. 2013. Transmittal of meeting minutes from the FIFRA Scientific Advisory Panel held May 21–23, 2013 on “Endocrine Disruptor Screening Program (EDSP) Tier 1 Screening Assays and Battery Performance”. Memorandum to the Office of Science Coordination and Policy and the Office of Pesticide Programs, US EPA, dated August 21, 2013. Available at: http://www.epa.gov/scipoly/sap/meetings/2013/may/052113minutes.pdf. Accessed September 24, 2013.
- 1975. Body weight and food intake at early estrus of rats on a high-fat diet. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 72:4172–4176. , , .
- 2006. A review of sample handling considerations for reproductive and thyroid hormone measurement in serum or plasma. Theriogenology 66:592–598. .
- t4 Workshop report: lessons learned, challenges, and opportunities: the U.S. Endocrine Disruptor Screening Program. Altex 31:63–78 (Jan. 2014). Available at: http://www.altex.ch/resources/WR_Juberg_epub.pdf pii:S1868696×1309271X. Accessed October 27, 2013. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. The effect of atrazine on female wistar rats: an evaluation of the protocol for assessing pubertal development and thyroid function. Toxicol Sci 58:366–376. , , , , .
- 2007. Effects of altered food intake during pubertal development in male and female wistar rats. Toxicol Sci 100:194–202. , , , , .
- 2002. Identification of an endocrine disrupting agent from corn with mitogenic activity. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 291:692–700. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Evaluation of the EDSTAC female pubertal assay in CD rats using 17β-estradiol, steroid biosynthesis inhibitors, and a thyroid inhibitor. Toxicol Sci 52:269–277. , , .
- 2003. Effect of feed restriction on Hershberger and pubertal male assay endpoints. Birth Defects Res B 68:363–374. , , .
- 1989. Studies on the effect of stress on the estrus cycle in rats. Ann Univ Mariae Curie Sklodowska Med 44:143–149. .
- 2005. The 15-day intact adult male as an alternative Tier 1 screening assay for detecting endocrine active compounds. Slide presentation at: http://www.epa.gov/scipoly/oscpendo/presentations/intact_male_presentation_080205.ppt. Accessed September 24, 2013. .
- 1999a. Detection of the environmental antiandrogen p,p′-DDE in CD and Long-Evans rats using a Tier I screening battery and a Hershberger assay. Toxicol Sci 51:44–53. , , , .
- 1999b. Detection of thyroid toxicants in a Tier 1 screening battery and alterations in thyroid endpoints over 28-days of exposure. Toxicol Sci 51:54–70. , , , .
- 2002. Evaluation of a 15-day screening assay using intact male rats for identifying steroid biosynthesis inhibitors and thyroid modulators. Toxicol Sci 69:79–91. , , .
- 2001. Effect of rodent diets on the sexual development of the rat. Toxicol Sci 61:115–127. , , , , , , , .
- Organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development (OECD). 2007. Guidelines for Testing of Chemicals, Section 4: Health Effects, protocol number 440, uterotrophic bioassay in rodents: a short-term screening test for oestrogenic properties http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/environment/test-no-440-uterotrophic-bioassay-in-rodents_9789264067417-en;jsessionid=12ic71yg7bopl.delta. Accessed January 29, 2014.
- 1995. Effect of restraint stress on the preovulatory luteinizing hormone profile and ovulation in the rat. Eur J Endocrinol 133:347–353. , , , .
- 1991. Comparison of random and serial sections in assessment of ovarian toxicity. Reprod Toxicol 5:379–383, as cited in Plowchalk DR, Smith BJ, Mattison DR. “Assessment of toxicity to the ovary using follicle quantitation and morphometrics”. Chapter 5 in Tyson CA, Witschi H. Methods in Toxicology, Vol. 3B, Female reproductive toxicology, Heindel JJ, Chapin RE, eds., 1993. , , , .
- 1989. Essential fatty acid deficiency delays the onset of puberty in the female rat. Endocrinology 125:1650–1659. , , .
- 2004. Differences between measurements of T4 and T3 in pregnant and nonpregnant women using isotope dilution tandem mass spectrometry and immunoassays: are there clinical implications? Clin Chim Acta 347:61–69. , , .
- 2000. The effect of atrazine on puberty in male wistar rats: an evaluation in the protocol for the assessment of pubertal development and thyroid function. Toxicol Sci 58:50–59. , , , .
- U.S. EPA. 2007a. Integrated summary report for validation of a test method for assessment of pubertal developmental and thyroid function in juvenile female rats as a potential screen in the Endocrine Disruptor Screening Program Tier-1 Battery. Available at: http://www.epa.gov/endo/pubs/female_isr_v4.1c.pdf. Accessed January 29, 2012.
- U.S. EPA. 2007b. Integrated summary report for validation of a test method for assessment of pubertal development and thyroid function in juvenile male rats as a potential screen in the Endocrine Disruptor Screening Program Tier-1 Battery. Available at: http://www.epa.gov/scipoly/oscpendo/pubs/male_pubertal_isr.pdf. Accessed January 29, 2012.
- U.S. EPA. 2009a. Series 890-Endocrine Disruptor Screening Test OPPTS 890.1450: pubertal development and thyroid function in intact juvenile/peripubertal female rats. Available at: http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=EPA-HQ-OPPT-2009-0576-0009. Accessed January 29, 2012.
- U.S. EPA. 2009b. Series 890-Endocrine Disruptor Screening Test OPPTS 890.1500: pubertal development and thyroid function in intact juvenile/peripubertal male rats. Available at: http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=EPA-HQ-OPPT-2009-0576-0010. Accessed January 29, 2012.
- U.S. EPA. 2011a. United States Environmental Protection Agency. Weight-of-evidence: evaluating results of EDSP Tier 1 screening to identify the need for Tier 2 testing. Document ID: EPA-HQ-OPPT-2010-0877-0021. Available at: <http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=EPA-HQ-OPPT-2010-0877-0021>. Accessed October 22, 2013.
- U.S. EPA. 2011b. Memorandum: “Corrections and Clarifications on Technical Aspects of the Test Guidelines for the Endocrine Disruptor Screening Program Tier 1 Assays (OCSPP Test Guideline Series 890),” (March 4, 2011). Available at: http://www.epa.gov/scipoly/oscpendo/pubs/toresources/clarificationdoc.pdf. Accessed September 25, 2013.
- U.S. EPA. 2013. Endocrine Disruptor Screening Program Tier 1 assays: considerations for use in human health and ecological risk assessments (June 2013). Available at: http://www.epa.gov/scipoly/oscpendo/pubs/use_of_tier_1_data_in_risk_assessment.pdf. Accessed September 8, 2013.
- 2002. Combined effects of dietary phytoestrogen and synthetic endocrine-active compound on reproductive development in Sprague-Dawley rats: genistein and methoxychlor. Toxicol Sci 66:91–104. , , , , , , , , .
- 1964. Experimental endocrinology. A sourcebook of basic techniques. New York: Academic Press. , , , .
- 1978. Prolactin, growth hormone, and luteinizing hormone in the maintenance of testicular luteinizing hormone receptors. Endocrinology 103:595–600. , , .