Transcriptional control of chondrocyte fate and differentiation
Article first published online: 26 SEP 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Birth Defects Research Part C: Embryo Today: Reviews
Volume 75, Issue 3, pages 200–212, September 2005
How to Cite
Lefebvre, V. and Smits, P. (2005), Transcriptional control of chondrocyte fate and differentiation. Birth Defects Research Part C: Embryo Today: Reviews, 75: 200–212. doi: 10.1002/bdrc.20048
- Issue published online: 26 SEP 2005
- Article first published online: 26 SEP 2005
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: AR46249
- Arthritis Foundation
- 2002. The role of the resting zone in growth plate chondrogenesis. Endocrinology 143: 1851–1857. , , , et al.
- 2002. The fate of the terminally differentiated chondrocyte: evidence for microenvironmental regulation of chondrocyte apoptosis. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 13: 465–473. , .
- 2002. The transcription factor Sox9 has essential roles in successive steps of the chondrocyte differentiation pathway and is required for expression of Sox5 and Sox6. Genes Dev 16: 2813–2828. , , , et al.
- 2004. Interactions between Sox9 and beta-catenin control chondrocyte differentiation. Genes Dev 18: 1072–1087. , , , et al.
- 2003. Development of synovial joints. Birth Defects Res C Embryo Today 69: 144–155. , , .
- 1997. SOX9 directly regulates the type-II collagen gene. Nat Genet 16: 174–178. , , , et al.
- 1999. Sox9 is required for cartilage formation. Nat Genet 22: 85–89. , , , et al.
- 2005. Genetic analysis of interactions between the somitic muscle, cartilage and tendon cell lineages during mouse development. Development 132: 515–528. , , .
- 1998. Chondrocyte-specific enhancer elements in the Col11a2 gene resemble the Col2a1 tissue-specific enhancer. J Biol Chem 273: 14998–15006. , , .
- 2001. Defects in extracellular matrix structural proteins in the osteochondrodysplasias. Novartis Found Symp 232: 195–212. .
- 2002. Distribution of the transcription factors Sox9, AP-2, and δEF1 in adult murine articular and meniscal cartilage and growth plate. J Histochem Cytochem 50: 1059–1065. , , , .
- 2000. Cellular interactions and signaling in cartilage development. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 8: 309–334. , , .
- 1988. Pax 1, a member of a paired box homologous murine gene family, is expressed in segmented structures during development. Cell 53: 617–625. , , .
- 1997. Osf2/Cbfa1: a transcriptional activator of osteoblast differentiation. Cell 89: 747–754. , , , et al.
- 2002. Dlx5 is a positive regulator of chondrocyte differentiation during endochondral ossification. Dev Biol 252: 257–270. , .
- 1994. Campomelic dysplasia and autosomal sex reversal caused by mutations in an SRY-related gene. Nature 372: 525–530. , , , et al.
- 1996. Immunolocalization of type X collagen in normal fetal and adult osteoarthritic cartilage with monoclonal antibodies. Matrix Biol 15: 231–238. , , , et al.
- 2000. All for one and one for all: condensations and the initiation of skeletal development. Bioessays 22: 138–147. , .
- 2002. Transcription factors Nkx3.1 and Nkx3.2 (Bapx1) play an overlapping role in sclerotomal development of the mouse. Mech Dev 117: 217–224. , , , .
- 2001. AP-1 and Cbfa/runt physically interact and regulate parathyroid hormone-dependent MMP13 expression in osteoblasts through a new osteoblast-specific element 2/AP-1 composite element. J Biol Chem 276: 20029–20038. , , , .
- 2001. The chondrogenic transcription factor Sox9 is a target of signaling by the parathyroid hormone-related peptide in the growth plate of endochondral bones. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98: 160–165. , , , .
- 2004. The combination of SOX5, SOX6, and SOX9 (the SOX trio) provides signals sufficient for induction of permanent cartilage. Arthritis Rheum 50: 3561–3573. , , , et al.
- 1999. Maturational disturbance of chondrocytes in Cbfa1-deficient mice. Dev Dyn 214: 279–290. , , , et al.
- 2000. Transcription factor ERG variants and functional diversification of chondrocytes during limb long bone development. J Cell Biol 150: 27–40. , , , et al.
- 2003. Runx2 expression and action in chondrocytes are regulated by retinoid signaling and parathyroid hormone-related peptide (PTHrP). Osteoarthritis Cartilage 11: 6–15. , , , et al.
- 2005. The balancing act of transcription factors C-1-1 and Runx2 in articular cartilage development. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 328: 777–782. , , , .
- 1994. Maf and Nrl can bind to AP-1 sites and form heterodimers with Fos and Jun. Oncogene 9: 675–684. , .
- 1999. Regulation of chondrocyte differentiation by Cbfa1. Mech Dev 80: 159–170. , , , .
- 2004. Heparan sulfate proteoglycans: coordinators of multiple signaling pathways during chondrogenesis. Birth Defects Res C Embryo Today 72: 69–88. , , , .
- 2005. Indian hedgehog stimulates periarticular chondrocyte differentiation to regulate growth plate length independently of PTHrP. J Clin Invest 115: 1734–1742. , , , et al.
- 1997. Targeted disruption of Cbfa1 results in a complete lack of bone formation owing to maturational arrest of osteoblasts. Cell 89: 755–764. , , , et al.
- 2003. Developmental regulation of the growth plate. Nature 423: 332–336. .
- 2003. Cbfa1/Runx2 gene expression in articular chondrocytes of the mice temporomandibular and knee joints in vivo. Arch Oral Biol 48: 519–525. , , , et al.
- 2002. Cbfbeta interacts with Runx2 and has a critical role in bone development. Nat Genet 32: 639–644. , , , et al.
- 1997. SOX9 is a potent activator of the chondrocyte-specific enhancer of the pro-alpha1(II) collagen gene. Mol Cell Biol 17: 2336–2346. , , , et al.
- 1998. A new long form of Sox5 (L-Sox5), Sox6 and Sox9 are coexpressed in chondrogenesis and cooperatively activate the type II collagen gene. EMBO J 17: 5718–5733. , , .
- 2002. Toward understanding the functions of the two highly related Sox5 and Sox6 genes. J Bone Miner Metab 20: 121–130. .
- 1999. The mouse bagpipe gene controls development of axial skeleton, skull, and spleen. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96: 9695–9700. , , , et al.
- 2004. Parathyroid hormone-related peptide (PTHrP) inhibits Runx2 expression through the PKA signaling pathway. Exp Cell Res 299: 128–136. , , , et al.
- 2000. Identification of an enhancer sequence within the first intron required for cartilage-specific transcription of the alpha2(XI) collagen gene. J Biol Chem 275: 12712–12718. , , , et al.
- 2003. Absence of transcription factor c-maf causes abnormal terminal differentiation of hypertrophic chondrocytes during endochondral bone development. Dev Biol 262: 51–63. , , , et al.
- 2005. SP3/SP1 transcription activity regulates specific expression of collagen type X in hypertrophic chondrocytes. J Biol Chem 280: 25331–25338. , , , et al.
- 2005. The homeobox transcription factor Barx2 regulates chondrogenesis during limb development. Development 132: 2135–2146. , , , .
- 2003. Sox9 is required for determination of the chondrogenic cell lineage in the cranial neural crest. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 100: 9360–9365. , , , .
- 1997a. Heritable diseases of the skeleton. Part I: Molecular insights into skeletal development-transcription factors and signaling pathways. FASEB J 11: 125–132 , .
- 1997b. Heritable diseases of the skeleton. Part II: Molecular insights into skeletal development-matrix components and their homeostasis. FASEB J 11: 227–233. , .
- 1997. Mutations involving the transcription factor CBFA1 cause cleidocranial dysplasia. Cell 89: 773–779. , , , et al.
- 1997. SOX9 binds DNA, activates transcription, and coexpresses with type II collagen during chondrogenesis in the mouse. Dev Biol 183: 108–121. , , , et al.
- 2000. Bone development. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 16: 191–220. , , .
- 1997. Cbfa1, a candidate gene for cleidocranial dysplasia syndrome, is essential for osteoblast differentiation and bone development. Cell 89: 765–771. , , , et al.
- 1998. Pax9-deficient mice lack pharyngeal pouch derivatives and teeth and exhibit craniofacial and limb abnormalities. Genes Dev 12: 2735–2747. , , , .
- 1999. Pax1 and Pax9 synergistically regulate vertebral column development. Development 126: 5399–5408. , , , et al.
- 1996. Chondrodysplasia and neurological abnormalities in ATF-2-deficient mice. Nature 379: 262–265. , , , et al.
- 2005. Highly conserved proximal promoter element harboring paired Sox9-binding sites contributes to the tissue- and developmental stage-specific activity of the matrilin-1 gene. Biochem J 389: 705–716. , , , et al.
- 2005. The secreted glycoprotein lubricin protects cartilage surfaces and inhibits synovial cell overgrowth. J Clin Invest 115: 622–631. , , , et al.
- 2002. The Dlx5 and Dlx6 homeobox genes are essential for craniofacial, axial, and appendicular skeletal development. Genes Dev 16: 1089–1101. , , , .
- 2005. Cooperative interactions between RUNX2 and homeodomain protein binding sites are critical for the osteoblast-specific expression of the bone sialoprotein gene. J Biol Chem 280: 30845–30855. , , , et al.
- 2003. Pax1 and Pax9 activate Bapx1 to induce chondrogenic differentiation in the sclerotome. Development 130: 473–482. , , , et al.
- 1994. In situ expression of collagen and proteoglycan genes in notochord and during skeletal development and growth. Microsc Res Technol 28: 470–482. .
- 1998. Transcriptional regulation of osteopontin gene in vivo by PEBP2alphaA/CBFA1 and ETS1 in the skeletal tissues. Oncogene 17: 1517–1525. , , , et al.
- 2000. Sox 9 enhances aggrecan gene promoter/enhancer activity and is up-regulated by retinoic acid in a cartilage-derived cell line, TC6. J. Biol Chem 275: 10738–10744. , , , et al.
- 2003. Mouse Snail family transcription repressors regulate chondrocyte, extracellular matrix, type II collagen, and aggrecan. J Biol Chem 278: 41862–41870. , , , et al.
- 2001. The transcription factors L-Sox5 and Sox6 are essential for cartilage formation. Dev Cell 1: 277–290. , , , et al.
- 2004. Sox5 and Sox6 are needed to develop and maintain source, columnar, and hypertrophic chondrocytes in the cartilage growth plate. J Cell Biol 164: 747–758. , , , .
- 2001. Impact of mutations of cartilage matrix genes on matrix structure, gene activity and chondrogenesis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 9 Suppl A: S160–S173. , , , .
- 1999. Indian hedgehog signaling regulates proliferation and differentiation of chondrocytes and is essential for bone formation. Genes Dev 13: 2072–2086. , , .
- 2001. Continuous expression of Cbfa1 in nonhypertrophic chondrocytes uncovers its ability to induce hypertrophic chondrocyte differentiation and partially rescues Cbfa1-deficient mice. Genes Dev 15: 467–481. , , , et al.
- 2002. A Kruppel-associated box-zinc finger protein, NT2, represses cell-type-specific promoter activity of the alpha 2(XI) collagen gene. Mol Cell Biol 22: 4256–4267. , , , et al.
- 1997. Bapx1: an evolutionary conserved homologue of the Drosophila bagpipe homeobox gene is expressed in splanchnic mesoderm and the embryonic skeleton. Mech Dev 65: 145–162. , , .
- 1999. The murine Bapx1 homeobox gene plays a critical role in embryonic development of the axial skeleton and spleen. Development 126: 5699–5711. , .
- 2001. Skeletal malformations caused by overexpression of Cbfa1 or its dominant negative form in chondrocytes. J Cell Biol 153: 87–100. , , , et al.
- 2004. Histone deacetylase 4 controls chondrocyte hypertrophy during skeletogenesis. Cell 119: 555–566. , , , et al.
- 1994. Autosomal sex reversal and campomelic dysplasia are caused by mutations in and around the SRY-related gene SOX9. Cell 79: 1111–1120. , , , et al.
- 1994. The role of Pax-1 in axial skeleton development. Development 120: 1109–1121. , , , et al.
- 2004. Regulation of MMP-13 expression by RUNX2 and FGF2 in osteoarthritic cartilage. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 12: 963–973. , , , et al.
- 1995. The Sry-related gene Sox9 is expressed during chondrogenesis in mouse embryos. Nat Genet 9: 15–20. , , , et al.
- 1999. Trans-activation of the mouse cartilage-derived retinoic acid-sensitive protein gene by Sox9. J Bone Miner Res 14: 757–763. , , , et al.
- 2002. Core-binding factor beta interacts with Runx2 and is required for skeletal development. Nat Genet 32: 633–638. , , , et al.
- 2004. Runx2 and Runx3 are essential for chondrocyte maturation, and Runx2 regulates limb growth through induction of Indian hedgehog. Genes Dev 18: 952–963. , , , et al.
- 2002. Shh establishes an Nkx3.2/Sox9 autoregulatory loop that is maintained by BMP signals to induce somitic chondrogenesis. Genes Dev 16: 1990–2005. , , , et al.
- 1997. Parallel expression of Sox9 and Col2a1 in cells undergoing chondrogenesis. Dev Dyn 209: 377–386. , , , .
- 2003. Type X collagen gene regulation by Runx2 contributes directly to its hypertrophic chondrocyte-specific expression in vivo. J Cell Biol 162: 833–842. , , , et al.