Current address: Process Development, Cytos Biotechnology AG, Zurich-Schlieren, Switzerland
Nondestructive near-infrared spectroscopic measurement of multiple analytes in undiluted samples of serum-based cell culture media
Article first published online: 4 DEC 2001
Copyright © 2002 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Biotechnology and Bioengineering
Volume 77, Issue 1, pages 73–82, 5 January 2002
How to Cite
Rhiel, M., Cohen, M. B., Murhammer, D. W. and Arnold, M. A. (2002), Nondestructive near-infrared spectroscopic measurement of multiple analytes in undiluted samples of serum-based cell culture media. Biotechnol. Bioeng., 77: 73–82. doi: 10.1002/bit.10093
- Issue published online: 4 DEC 2001
- Article first published online: 4 DEC 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 AUG 2001
- Manuscript Received: 14 JAN 2001
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration. Grant Number: NAG 9-824
- 1998. Determination of physiological levels of glucose in an aqueous matrix with digitally filtered Phantom glucose calibration models from simulated noninvasive human near-infrared spectra. Anal Chem 70: 1773–1781. , , .
- 1995. Accuracy of the YSI Stat Plus Analyzer for glucose and lactate. Anal Lett 28: 581–592. , .
- 1999. Evaluation of measurement sites for noninvasive blood glucose sensing with near-infrared transmission spectroscopy. Clin Chem 45: 1621–1627. , .
- 1998. Phantoms for noninvasive blood glucose sensing with near-infrared transmission spectroscopy. Photochem Photobiol 67: 50–55. , , .
- 1990. Noninvasive method for monitoring ethanol in fermentation processes using fiber-optic near-infrared spectroscopy. Anal Chem 62: 1977–1982. , , , .
- 1995. Simultaneous measurement of glucose and glutamine in aqueous solutions by near infrared spectroscopy. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 50: 109–126. , , , .
- 1996. Simultaneous measurements of glucose, glutamine, ammonia, lactate and glutamine in aqueous solutions by near-infrared spectroscopy. Appl Spectrosc 50: 270–276. , , , .
- 1998. Genetic algorithm-based wavelength selection for near-infrared determination of glucose in biological matrixes: Initialization strategies and effects of spectral resolution. Anal Chem 70: 4472–4479. , , .
- 1994. Noninvasive spectroscopy for monitoring cell density in a fermentation process. Anal Chem 66: 1354–1362. , , .
- 1986. Reduction of waste product excretion via nutrient control: Possible strategies for maximizing product and cell yields on serum in cultures and mammalian cells. Biotechnol Bioeng 28: 1376–1389. , , .
- 1996. Near-infrared spectroscopic determination of acetate, ammonium, biomass, and glycerol in an industrial Escherichia coli fermentation. Appl Spectrosc 50: 102–108. , , , , , .
- 1998. Measurement of glucose in water with first overtone near infrared spectra. Anal Chim Acta 371: 255–267. , , .
- 1983. O-phthaldialdehyde precolumn derivatization and reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography of polypeptide hydrolysates and physiological fluids. J Chromatogr 266: 471–482. , .
- 2000. Investigation of near-infrared spectroscopy for periodic determination of glucose in cell culture media in situ. Appl Spectrosc 54: 1453–1457. , , , .
- 1994. Genetic algorithms in wavelength selection—a comparative study. Anal Chim Acta 286: 135–153. , , .
- 1989. Multivariate calibration. New York: John Wiley &Sons. , .
- 1998. Near-infrared spectroscopy for determination of glucose, lactate, and ammonia in cell culture media. Appl Spectrosc 52: 1073–1078. , .
- 1998. Application of near-infrared spectroscopy to bioreactor monitoring. PhD dissertation, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA. .
- 1997. Simultaneous measurement of glucose and glutamine in insect cell culture media by near infrared spectroscopy. Biotechnol Bioeng 55: 11–15. , , , , .
- 1998a. Adaptive calibration scheme for quantification of nutrients and byproducts in insect cell bioreactors by near infrared spectroscopy. Biotechnol Progr 14: 527–533. , , , , .
- 1998b. Matrix enhanced buffer calibration procedure for multivariate calibration models with near infrared spectra. Appl Spectrosc 52: 1339–1347. , , .
- 1995. Expression of cellular adhesion molecules on human prostate tumor cell lines. The Prostate 26: 205–212. , .
- 1991. On-line analysis of broth. In: ReedHJ, PuhlerG, StadlerP, editors. Biotechnology. Vol. 4. Weinheim, Germany: VCH. .
- 1983. A multivariate calibration problem in analytical chemistry solved by partial least-squares models in latent variables. Anal Chim Acta 150: 61–70. , , , , .
- 1998. Ammonia measurements in mammalian cell bioreactors with a diffuse reflectance-based fiberoptic ammonia sensor. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 75: 175–186. , , , .
- 1998. Theoretical justification of wavelength selection in PLS calibration: Development of a new algorithm. Anal Chem 70: 35–44. , , .
- 1990. A System V guide to UNIX and XENIX. New York: Springer. .
- 1990. In: KowalskiD, editor. Chemometrics. mathematics and statistics in chemistry. Berlin: Reidel. p 17–95. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Prediction of the concentration of ethanol and acetic acid in the culture broth of a rice vinegar fermentation using near infrared spectroscopy. J Ferment Bioeng 85: 461–465. , , , .
- 1995. Selective measurement of glutamine and asparagine in aqueous media by near-infrared spectroscopy. In: RogersKR, MulchandaniA, ZhouW, editors. Biosensor and chemical sensor technology: Process monitoring and control. ACS symposium series 613. Washington, DC: ACS. p 116–132. , , , , .