Evaluation of selectivity changes in HIC systems using a preferential interaction based analysis
Version of Record online: 21 JUL 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Biotechnology and Bioengineering
Special Issue: Recovery and Purification of Biologics
Volume 87, Issue 3, pages 354–363, 5 August 2004
How to Cite
Xia, F., Nagrath, D., Garde, S. and Cramer, S. M. (2004), Evaluation of selectivity changes in HIC systems using a preferential interaction based analysis. Biotechnol. Bioeng., 87: 354–363. doi: 10.1002/bit.20120
- Issue online: 21 JUL 2004
- Version of Record online: 21 JUL 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 MAR 2004
- Manuscript Received: 15 JUL 2003
- NSF. Grant Number: BES-9810794
- 1986. Thermodynamic analysis of the effect of concentrated salts on protein interaction with hydrophobic and polysaccharide columns. Arch Biochem Biophys 248: 101–105. .
- 1982. Preferential interactions of proteins with salts in concentrated-solutions. Biochemistry 21: 6545–6552. , .
- 1984a. Mechanism of protein salting in and salting out by divalent-cation salts — balance between hydration and salt binding. Biochemistry 23: 5912–5923. , .
- 1984b. Protein stabilization and destabilization by guanidinium salts. Biochemistry 23: 5924–5929. , .
- 1990. Preferential interactions determine protein solubility in 3-component solutions — the MgCl2 system. Biochemistry 29: 1914–1923. , , .
- 1997. Charge density-dependent strength of hydration and biological structure. Biophys J 72: 65–76. .
- 2000. Purification of a cystic fibrosis plasmid vector for gene therapy using hydrophobic interaction chromatography. Biotechnol Bioeng 68: 576–583. , , , , , .
- 2001. Studies on the retention of plasmid DNA and Escherichia coli nucleic acids by hydrophobic interaction chromatography. Bioseparation 10: 211–220. , , .
- 1999. Study of hydrophobic interaction adsorption of bovine serum albumin under overloaded conditions using flow microcalorimetry. J Chromatogr A 865: 111–122. , , , .
- 1986. Solute and mobile phase contributions to retention in hydrophobic interaction chromatography of proteins. J Chromatogr 359: 131–146. , .
- 1999. Separation of human vitamin K-dependent coagulation proteins using hydrophobic interaction chromatography. J Chromatogr B 736: 77–88. , .
- 1998. Salt effects on hydrophobic interaction and charge screening in the folding of a negatively charged peptide to a coiled coil (leucine zipper). Biochemistry 37: 7539–7550. , , , .
- 2000. Microcalorimetric studies of interactions between proteins and hydrophobic ligands in hydrophobic interaction chromatography: effects of ligand chain length, density and the amount of bound protein. J Chromatogr A 872: 37–47. , , , .
- 2001. Microcalorimetric studies on the interaction mechanism between proteins and hydrophobic solid surfaces in hydrophobic interaction chromatography: effects of salts, hydrophobicity of the sorbent, and structure of the protein. Anal Chem 73: 3875–3883. , , .
- 2002. Thermodynamic analysis of the interaction between proteins and solid surfaces: application to liquid chromatography. J Mol Recog 15: 55–93. , , .
- 2003. Hydrophobic interaction chromatography of proteins. I. Comparison of selectivity. J Chromatogr A 972: 3–19. , , , .
- 1992. Characterization of the influence of displacing salts on retention in gradient elution ion-exchange chromatography of proteins and peptides. J Chromatogr 627: 107–124. , .
- 1977. Salt effects on hydrophobic interactions in precipitation and chromatography of proteins: an interpretation of the lyotropic series. Arch Biochem Biophys 183: 200–215. , .
- 1984. Salt-mediated retention of proteins in hydrophobic-interaction chromatography: application of solvophobic theory. J Chromatogr 317: 67–85. , , .
- 1989. Interplay of hydrophobic and electrostatic interactions in biopolymer chromatography. J Chromatogr 469: 3–27. , , .
- 2000. Use of hydrophobic interaction chromatography to separate recombinant antibody fragments from associated bacterial chaperone protein GroEL. Anal Biochem 278: 239–241. , , .
- 1977. Hydrophobic interaction chromatography on uncharged Sepharose derivatives. Effect of neutral salts on the adsorption of proteins. J Chromatogr A 131: 99–108. , , .
- 1997. Protein retention in hydrophobic interaction chromatography: modeling variation with buffer ionic strength and column hydrophobicity. J Chromatogr A 766: 1–14. , , , .
- 2002. Hydrophobic interaction chromatographic separation of proteins in human blood fractions hyphenated to atomic spectrometry as detector of essential elements. J Chromatogr A 960: 143–150. , , .
- 1987. Metal ion-hydrophobic, thiophilic and II-electron governed interactions and their application to salt-promoted protein adsorption chromatography. Biotechnol Prog 3: 14–21. .
- 2001. Hydrophobic interaction chromatography of proteins. J Biotechnol 87: 143–159. , , .
- 1989. Adsoprtion phenomena in hydrophobic interaction chromatography. Biotechnol Prog 5: 79–88. , , , .
- 2000a. Hydrophobic displacement chromatography of proteins. Biotechnol Bioeng 68: 672–680. , , , .
- 2000b. Purification of oligonucleotides by high affinity, low molecular weight displacers. Biotechnol Prog 16: 1064–1070. , , , .
- 2003. Application of hydrophobic interaction displacement chromatography for an industrial protein purification. Biotechnol Bioeng 82: 330–339. , , , .
- 1988. Mechanism of protein precipitation and stabilization by co-solvents. J Cryst Growth 90: 39–46. , .
- 2003. Modeling of adsorption in HIC systems using a preferential interaction quadratic isotherm. J Chromatogr A 989: 47–54. , , .