Performance and characterization of a nanophased porous hydroxyapatite for protein chromatography
Version of Record online: 21 JUL 2004
Copyright © 2004 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Biotechnology and Bioengineering
Special Issue: Recovery and Purification of Biologics
Volume 87, Issue 3, pages 364–375, 5 August 2004
How to Cite
Jungbauer, A., Hahn, R., Deinhofer, K. and Luo, P. (2004), Performance and characterization of a nanophased porous hydroxyapatite for protein chromatography. Biotechnol. Bioeng., 87: 364–375. doi: 10.1002/bit.20121
- Issue online: 21 JUL 2004
- Version of Record online: 21 JUL 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 MAR 2004
- Manuscript Received: 30 APR 2003
- 1993. Separation of different molecular forms of mouse IgA and IgM monoclonal antibodies by high-performance liquid chromatography on spherical hydroxyapatite beads. J Immunol Methods 162: 201–210. , .
- 1983. Large scale purification of plasmid DNA. Prep Biochem 13: 161–166. , .
- 1997. Adsorption of succinylated lysozyme on hydroxyapatite. J Coll Interface Sci 189: 37–42. , , , .
- 1971. Chromatography of proteins. Methods Enzymol 22: 325–339. .
- 1972. Chromatography of polypeptides and proteins on hydroxyapatite columns: some new developments. Biochim Biophys 278: 409–420. , , .
- 2000. Separation of antibodies by liquid chromatography. In: AhujaS, editor. Handbook of bioseparation, 1st ed. San Diego: Academic Press. p 536–632. , .
- 1988. Large scale production and purification of paraquat and desipramine monoclonal antibodies and their Fab fragments. Int J Immunopharmacol 10: 537–545. , , , , .
- 1995. Linear driving force approximation for intraparticle diffusion and convection in permeable supports. Chem Eng Sci 50: 887–889. .
- 1993. Diffusion and convection in chromatographic processes using permeable supports with a bidisperse pore structure. Chem Eng Sci 48: 3927–3935. , .
- 1978. Rapid purification of plasmid DNAs by hydroxyapatite chromatography. Eur J Biochem 91: 303–310. , , , .
- 1994. Ceramic hydroxyapatite offers a new, old chromatography application tool. Genetic Eng News 14. .
- 2002. Recombinant autofluorescent landmarks for standardization of electrophoretic migration of proteins. Electrophoresis 23: 1146–1152. , .
- 1997. Intraparticle mass transfer in high-speed chromatography of proteins. Biotechnol Prog 13: 429–439. , , .
- 1994. Effect of bed compression on high-performance liquid chromatography columns with gigaporous polymeric packings. J Chromatogr A 686: 165–177. , , .
- 1996. Purification tools for monoclonal antibodies. Tucson: Validated Biosystems. .
- 2000. Comparison of different types of ceramic hydroxyapatite for the chromatographic separation of plasmid DNA and a recombinant anti-rhesus D antibody. Bioseparation 9: 359–368. , .
- 2001. Isolation of a recombinant antibody from cell culture supernatant: continuous annular versus batch and expanded-bed chromatography. Biotechnol Bioeng 73: 522–529. , .
- 2002. Continuous isolation of plasmid DNA by annular chromatography. Biotechnol Bioeng 77: 445–454. , .
- 1972. Characterization of exponentially modified gaussian peaks in chromatography. Anal Chem 44: 1733–1738. .
- 2001. A dual-mode approach to the selective separation of antibodies and their fragments. J Chromatogr B 755: 37–46. , , .
- 2004. Comparison of protein A affinity sorbents. J Chromatogr B 790: 35–51. , , .
- 1995. Perfusion chromatography: performance of periodic countercurrent column operation and its comparison with fixed-bed operation. J Chromatogr A 711: 3–21. , .
- 2003. Design and scaleup of downstream processing of monoclonal antibodies for cancer therapy: from research to clinical proof of principle. J Immunol Meth 275: 99–112. , , , , .
- 2002. Monolithic silica columns for high-efficiency separations by high-performance liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr A 960: 85–96. , , , , , , , .
- 1983. Large-scale isolation of plasmid DNA and purification of lambda phage DNA using hydroxyapatite chromatography. Anal Biochem 132: 20–25. , .
- 2001. Monoliths as stationary phases for separation of proteins and polynucleotides and enzymatic conversion. J Chromatogr B 752: 191–205. , , .
- 1989. High performance liquid chromatography and related methods in purification of monoclonal antibodies. In: MizrahiEA, editor. Monoclonal antibodies: production and application. New York: Alan Liss. p 161–192. , .
- 1989. Comparison of protein A, protein G and copolymerized hydroxyapatite for the purification of human monoclonal antibodies. J Chromatogr 476: 257–268. , , , , , , , .
- 1990a. Fundamental study of hydroxyapatite high-performance liquid chromatography. II. Experimental analysis on the basis of the general theory of gradient chromatography. J Chromatogr A 515: 91–123. , , .
- 1990b. Fundamental study of hydroxyapatite high-performance liquid chromatography. III. Direct experimental confirmation of the existence of two types of adsorbing surface on the hydroxyapatite crystal. J Chromatogr A 515: 125–148. , , .
- 2002. Purification of a functional gene therapy vector derived from Moloney murine leukaemia virus using membrane filtration and ceramic hydroxyapatite chromatography. Biotechnol Bioeng 80: 445–453. , , , .
- 1918. The adsorption of gases on plane surfaces of glass, mica and platinum. J Am Chem Soc 40: 1361–1403. .
- 1995. HETP in process ion-exchange chromatography. J Chromatogr Sci 33: 441–457. , , .
- 1999. Binary protein adsorption on gel-composite ion-exchange media. AIChE J 45: 512–522. , .
- 1998. Development of a downstream process for the isolation and separation of monoclonal immunoglobulin A monomers, dimers and polymers from cell culture supernatant. J Chromatogr A 796: 165–175. , , , .
- 1999. Method of synthesizing HAP powders and bulk materials. USA. US Patent No. 5858318. . Berkely, Advanced Biomaterials, assignee.
- 1998. Cooperative adsorption of proteins onto hydroxyapatite. J Coll Interface Sci 200: 104–113. , .
- 2003. Evaluation of protein-A chromatography media. J Chromatogr A 989: 139–153. , , , .
- 1977. Simultaneous intraparticle forced convection, diffusion and reaction in a porous catalyst. Chem Eng Sci 32: 35–41. , .
- 1975. Isolation of closed-circular duplex DNA by chromatography on hydroxyapatite in the presence of ethidium bromide. Anal Biochem 67: 372–383. , , .
- 1986. Rapid purification of monoclonal antibodies by high-performance liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr 359: 449–460. , , , .
- 1989. Protein A, hydroxyapatite and diethylaminoethyl: evaluation of three procedures for the preparative purification of monoclonal antibodies by high-performance liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr 465: 101–111. , , , .
- 1997. Permeable packings and perfusion chromatography in protein separation. J Chromatogr B 699: 47–61. .
- 1991. Residence time distribution of inert and linearly adsorbed species in a fixed bed containing “large-pore” supports: applications in separation engineering. Chem Eng Sci 46: 2765–2773. , , .
- 1992. Influence of adsorption-desorption kinetics on the performance of chromatographic processes using large-pore supports. Chem Eng Sci 47: 4405–4413. , , , , .
- 2003. Hydroxyapatite chromatography: altering the phosphate-dependent elution profile of protein as a function of pH. Anal Biochem 313: 176–178. , , .
- 2000. High speed immuno-affinity chromatography on supports with gigapores. Bioseparation 9: 259–268. , , , .
- 1979. The isolation of extrachromosomal DNA by hydroxyapatite chromatography. Methods Enzymol 68: 199–206. , .
- 1978. Hydroxyapatite for chromatography. II. Sources of variability and improved methods of preparation. J Chromatogr A 166: 435–446. .
- 1978. Hydroxyapatite for chromatography. I. Physical and chemical properties of different preparations. J Chromatogr A 166: 423–434. , .
- 1956. Protein chromatography on calcium phosphate. Arch Biochem Biophys 65: 132–155. , , .
- 1979. Simple method for the purification of bacterial plasmids on hydroxyapatite. Acta Biochim Biophys Acad Sci Hung 14: 143–146. , , , .
- 1989. Monoclonal antibody purification: choice of method and assessment of purity and yield. Biotechniques 7: 802, 804–808. , .