High density cultures of embryonic stem cells
Version of Record online: 25 JUL 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Biotechnology and Bioengineering
Volume 91, Issue 5, pages 523–533, 5 September 2005
How to Cite
Oh, S. K.W., Fong, W. J., Teo, Y., Tan, H. L., Padmanabhan, J., Chin, A. C.P. and Choo, A. B.H. (2005), High density cultures of embryonic stem cells. Biotechnol. Bioeng., 91: 523–533. doi: 10.1002/bit.20650
- Issue online: 17 AUG 2005
- Version of Record online: 25 JUL 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 JUN 2005
- Manuscript Received: 20 DEC 2004
- 1990. Spin filter perfusion system for high density cell culture: Production of recombinant urinary type plasminogen activator in CHO cells. Biotechnology 8: 54–58. , , , , , .
- 2004. Assessment of stem cell markers during long term culture of mouse embryonic stem cells. Cytotechnology 44: 75–89. , , , , , .
- 2002. Perfusion improves tissue architecture of engineered cardiac muscle. Tissue Eng 8: 175–188. , , , , , .
- 2004. Expansion of pluripotent human embryonic stem cells on human feeders. Biotechnol Bioeng 88: 321–331. , , , .
- 2001. Industrial choices for protein production by large-scale cell culture. Curr Opin Biotechnol 12: 180–187. , .
- 1997. Differentiation of embryonic stem cells into adipocytes in vitro. J Cell Sci 110: 279–285. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Perfusion increases cell content and matrix synthesis in chondrocyte three-dimensional cultures. Tissue Eng 8: 807–816. , , .
- 1987. Targetted correction of a mutant HPRT gene in mouse embryonic stem cells. Nature 330: 576–578. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Derivation of embryonic germ cells and male gametes from embryonic stem cells. Nature 427: 148–154. , , , , , .
- 2003. Comparison of a static process and a bioreactor based process for the GMP manufacture of autologous Xcellerated T cells for clinical trials. BioProcessing J 2: 23–34. , , , .
- 2003. Derivation of oocytes from mouse embryonic stem cells. Science 300: 1251–1256. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Growth of human keratinocytes on hydrophilic film support and application to bioreactor culture. J Chem Eng Japan 31: 856–859. , .
- 2000. Development of an on-line monitoring system of human keratinocyte growth by image analysis and its application to bioreactor culture. Biotechnol Bioeng 67: 234–239. , .
- 1993. Large-scale expansion of human stem and progenitor cells from bone marrow mononuclear cells in continuous perfusion cultures. Blood 82: 378–384. , , .
- 1997. In vitro differentiation of embryonic stem cells: Immunophenotypic analysis of cultured embryoid bodies. J Cell Physiol 171: 104–115. , .
- 2001. Differentiation of embryonic stem cells to insulin-secreting structures similar to pancreatic islets. Science 292: 1389–1394. , , , , , .
- 2003. The unsolved enigmas of leukemia inhibitory factor. Stem Cells 21: 5–14. .
- 2003. Differentiation of human embryonic stem cells to cardiomyocytes: Role of coculture with visceral endoderm-like cells. Circulation 107: 2733–2740. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. The regulation of embryonic stem cell differentiation by leukaemia inhibitory factor. Differentiation 68: 227–234. , .
- 1998. Formation of pluripotent stem cells in the mammalian embryo depends on the POU transcription factor Oct4. Cell 95: 379–391. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Quantitative expression of Oct3/4 defines differentiation, dedifferentiation or self-renewal of ES cells. Nat Genet 24: 372–376. , , .
- 1995. An experimental rabies vaccine produced with a new BHK-21 suspension cell culture process: Use of serum-free medium and perfusion-reactor system. Vaccine 13: 1244–1250. , , , , , .
- 2003. Generation of hepatocyte-like cells from human embryonic stem cells. Cell Transpl 12: 1–11. , , , , .
- 1990. Differentiation inhibiting activity is produced in matrix associated and diffusible forms that are generated by alternate promoter usage. Cell 62: 1105–1114. , , , , .
- 2001. Neural progenitors from human embryonic stem cells. Nat Biotechnol 19: 1134–1140. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Clinical outcomes and insulin secretion after islet transplantation with the Edmonton protocol. Diabetes 50: 710–719. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Effects of CD34+ cell selection and perfusion on ex vivo expansion of peripheral blood mononuclear cells. Blood 86: 958–970. , , , .
- 1988. Inhibition of pluripotential embryonic stem cell differentiation by purified polypeptides. Nature 336: 688–690. , , , , , , .
- 1978. Monoclonal antibody defining a stage-specific mouse embryonic antigen (SSEA-1). Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 75: 5565–5569. , .
- 1998. Embryonic stem cell lines derived from human blastocysts. Science 282: 1145–1147. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Flow perfusion culture of marrow stromal osteoblasts in titanium fiber mesh. J Biomed Mater Res 64: 235–241. , , , , , .
- 2002. Ligand/receptor signaling threshold (LIST) model accounts for gp130-mediated embryonic stem cell self-renewal responses to LIF and HIL-6. Stem Cells 20: 119–138. , , , , .
- 1988a. Glycolipid stage-specific embryonic antigens (SSEA-1) in kidneys of male and female C57BL/6J and beige adult mice. J Lipid Res 29: 1613–1619. , , , .
- 1988b. Myeloid leukaemia inhibitory factor maintains the developmental potential of embryonic stem cells. Nature 336: 684–687. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Achievement of high cell density and high antibody productivity by a controlled-feed perfusion bioreactor process. Biotechnol Bioeng 69: 74–82. , , , , .
- 2002. AFP+, ESC derived cells engraft and differentiate into hepatocytes in vivo. Stem Cells 20: 338–346. , , , , , .
- 2003. Conversion of embryonic stem cells into neuroectodermal precursors in adherent monoculture. Nat Biotechnol 21: 183–186. , , , , .
- 1994. Maintenance of the pluripotent phenotype of embryonic stem cells through direct activation of gp130 signaling pathways. Mech Dev 45: 163–171. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Leukaemia inhibitory factor (LIF) concentration modulates embryonic stem cell self-renewal and differentiation independently of proliferation. Biotechnol Bioeng 69: 607–617. , , , , .