Antibody variable region interactions with Protein A: Implications for the development of generic purification processes
Version of Record online: 4 OCT 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Biotechnology and Bioengineering
Volume 92, Issue 6, pages 665–673, 20 December 2005
How to Cite
Ghose, S., Allen, M., Hubbard, B., Brooks, C. and Cramer, S. M. (2005), Antibody variable region interactions with Protein A: Implications for the development of generic purification processes. Biotechnol. Bioeng., 92: 665–673. doi: 10.1002/bit.20729
- Issue online: 18 NOV 2005
- Version of Record online: 4 OCT 2005
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 AUG 2005
- Manuscript Received: 9 MAY 2005
- 1994. On the interaction between single chain Fv antibodies and bacterial immunoglobulin-binding proteins. J Immunol Methods 177: 151–163. , , , .
- 1970. Papain. Methods Enzymol 19: 226–244. .
- 2005. The future of Process Development for Monoclonal Antibody Manufacturing: Presentation at IBC Conference on Antibody Production and Downstream Processing, March, San Diego, CA. .
- 1995. Elution of human IgG from affinity columns containing immobilized variants of protein A. J Immunol Methods 182: 185–192. , , .
- 1985. Immunoglobulin G: Functional sites. Mol Immunol 22: 161–206. .
- 1993. Mutational analysis of the interaction between staphylococcal Protein A and human IgG1. Protein Engineering 6(4): 441–448. , , , , .
- 1981. Crystallographic refinement and atomic models of a human Fc fragment and its complex with fragment B of protein A from Staphylococcus aureus at 2.9- and 2.8-A resolution. Biochemistry 20(9): 2361–2370. .
- 1978. Crystallization, crystal structure analysis and atomic model of the complex formed by a human Fc fragment and fragment B of protein A from Staphylococcus aureus. Hoppe-Seyler's Z Physiol Chem 359(8): 975–985. , , , , .
- 1979. pH gradient elution of human IgG1, IgG2 and IgG4 from Protein A Sepharose. J Immunol Methods 31: 211–217. , , , .
- 2001. Industrial purification of pharmaceutical antibodies: Development, operation and validation of chromatography processes. Biotechnol Genet Eng Rev 18: 301–327. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Factorial screening of antibody purification processes using three chromatographic steps without Protein A. J Chromatogr A 1024: 79–85. , .
- 1996. Protein A affinity chromatography. In: Purification tools for monoclonal antibodies. Tucson, AZ: Validated Biosystems. pp 155–158. .
- 2004. Preparative protein purification on underivatized silica. Biotechnol Bioeng 87(3): 413–423. , , .
- 2000. Protein engineering of an IgG-binding domain allows milder elution conditions during affinity chromatography. J Biotechnol 76: 233–244. , , .
- 1987. The Human IgG Subclasses. Texas: Calbiochem-Novabiochem Corporation. pp 1–75. .
- Heathcare GE. 2005. MabSelect SuRe—studies on ligand toxicity, leakage, removal of leached ligand, and sanitization. Technical note No. 11-0011-64 AA.
- 1993. The structural basis of germline-encoded VH3 immunoglobulin binding to Staphylococcal Protein A. J Exp Med 178: 331–336. , , , , .
- 2005. Platform approaches to Monoclonal Antibody Purification: Presentation at IBC Conference on Antibody Production and Downstream Processing, March, San Diego, CA. , .
- 1997. The creation of diversity in the human Immunoglobulin V repertoire. J Mol Biology 268: 69–77. , , , .
- 1981. Comparison of mechanisms of interaction between protein A from Staphylococcus aureus and human monoclonal IgG, IgA and IgM in relation to the classical Fcγ and the alternative F(ab′)2 protein A interactions. Scand J Immunol 13: 343–352. .
- 2002. Glycosylation of human IgG antibodies: Relevance to therapeutic applications. Recent Res Dev Immunol 4(2): 769–780. .
- 1982. Protein-A of Staphylococcus aureus and related immunoglobulin receptors produced by streptococci and Pneumonococci. Adv Immunol 32: 157–252. .
- 1998. Design, synthesis and application of a Protein A mimetic. Nat Biotechnol 16: 190–195. , , , , .
- 1977. Extracellular protein A from a methicillin-resistant strain of Staphylococcus aureus. Eur J Biochem 74(3): 623–628. , , .
- 1993. The interaction between different domains of Staphylococcal protein A and human polyclonal IgG, IgA, IgM, and (Fab′)2: Separation of affinity from specificity. Mol Immunol 30(14): 1279–1285. , , , , , .
- 1986. Staphylococcal protein-A consists of five IgG-binding domains. Eur J Biochem 156: 637–643. , , , , , .
- 1987. A synthetic IgG-binding domain based on staphylococcal protein A. Protein Eng 1: 107–113. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Staphylococcal protein A simulataneously interacts with framework region 1, complementarity-determining region 2, and framework region 3 on human VH3-encoded Igs. J Immunol 157: 2982–2988. , , .
- 1998. Anti-idiotypic antibody D12 and superantigen SPA both interact with human VH3-encoded antibodies on the external face of the heavy chain involving FR1, CDR2 and FR3. Mol Immunol 35: 1179–1187. , , , , .
- 1995. VH3 family antibodies bind domain D of Staphylococcal Protein A. J Immunol 154: 6437–6445. , , .
- 2003. Therapeutic antibodies and antibody fusion proteins. Biotechnol Genet Eng Rev 20: 137–163. , , , .
- 1983. Optimal conditions for the preparation of Fab and F(ab′)2 fragments from monoclonal IgG of different rat subclasses. J Immunological Methods 64: 141–146. , , .
- 1989. Human IgM molecules that bind staphylococcal protein A contain VHIII H chains. J Immunol 142: 2778–2783. , , .
- 1991. Human IgA and IgG F(ab′)2 that bind to staphylococcal protein A belong to the VHIII subgroup. J Immunol 147: 1877–1883. , , .
- 1990. Structure and evolution of mammalian VH families. Int Immunol 2: 41–50. , , .
- 1977. Structural studies on the four repetitive Fc-binding region in protein A from Staphylococcus aureus. Eur J Biochem 78: 471–490. .
- 1999. Antibody variable region binding by Staphylococcal Protein A: Thermodynamic analysis and location of the Fv binding site on E-domain. Protein Sci 8: 1423–1431. , , , .
- 2003. Antibodies as therapeutic agents: Vive la renaissance! Expert Opin Biol Ther 3(7): 1133–1152. , .
- 1997. The repertoire of human germline VH sequences reveals about fifty groups of VH segments with different hypervariable loops. J Mol Biology 227: 776–798. , , , , .
- 1990. Sequential IH NMR assignments and secondary structure of the B domain of staphylococcal protein A: structural changes between the free B domain in solution and the Fc-bound B domain in crystal. Biochemistry 29: 8787–8793. , , , , .
- 1984. Complete sequence of the staphylococcal gene encoding protein A. J Biol Chem 259: 1695–1702. , , , , , .
- 1985. Alternative mechanism of Protein A—Immunoglobulin interaction: The VH associated reactivity of a monoclonal human IgM. J Immunol 135(2): 1232–1238. , .
- 2004. Modern antibody based therapeutics. Biopharm 17: 18–25. .
- 1988. Analysis of genetic variation reveals human immunoglobulin VH-region gene organization. Am J Hum Genet 42: 446–451. , .