Liquefaction of lignocellulose at high-solids concentrations
Article first published online: 24 JUL 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Biotechnology and Bioengineering
Volume 96, Issue 5, pages 862–870, 1 April 2007
How to Cite
Jørgensen, H., Vibe-Pedersen, J., Larsen, J. and Felby, C. (2007), Liquefaction of lignocellulose at high-solids concentrations. Biotechnol. Bioeng., 96: 862–870. doi: 10.1002/bit.21115
- Issue published online: 22 FEB 2007
- Article first published online: 24 JUL 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 JUN 2006
- Manuscript Received: 6 FEB 2006
- Elsam A/S
- EU contract. Grant Number: ENK6-CT-2002-00650
- 2001. Application of multistage continuous fermentation for production of fuel alcohol by very-high-gravity fermentation technology. J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 27: 87–93. , .
- 2004. The effect of shear field on the hydrolysis of cellulose. J Macromol Sci Phys B43: 1115–1121. , .
- 2005. Characterization of very high gravity ethanol fermentation of corn mash. Effect of glucoamylase dosage, pre-saccharification and yeast strain. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 68: 622–629. , , .
- 2003. Conversion of paper sludge to ethanol in a semicontinuous solids-fed reactor. Bioprocess Biosyst Eng 26: 93–101. , , , , , .
- 2004. Inhibition of the Trichoderma reesei cellulases by cellobiose is strongly dependent on the nature of the substrate. Biotechnol Bioeng 86: 503–511. , , , .
- 1996. Enhancement of enzymatic cellulose hydrolysis using a novel type of bioreactor with intensive stirring induced by electromagnetic field. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 56: 141–153. , , , , .
- 2001. The effect of shaking regime on the rate and extent of enzymatic hydrolysis of cellulose. J Biotechnol 88: 177–182. , , , , .
- 1994. Fuel alcohol production—Appraisal of nitrogenous yeast foods for very high gravity wheat mash fermentation. Proc Biochem 29: 483–488. , .
- 1999. Alcohol destillation—The fundamentals. In: JacquesKA, LyonsTP, KelsallDR, editors. The alcohol textbook. Nottingham: Nottingham University Press. pp 103–125. , , .
- 2004. Inhibition of ethanol-producing yeast and bacteria by degradation products produced during pre-treatment of biomass. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 66: 10–26. , , .
- 2002. Cellulase adsorption and an evaluation of enzyme recycle during hydrolysis of steam-exploded softwood residues. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 98–100: 641–654. , , , , .
- 2002a. Influence of mixing regime on enzymatic saccharification of steam-exploded softwood chips. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 98–100: 463–472. , , .
- 2002b. Enhancing the enzymatic hydrolysis of cellulosic materials using simultaneous ball milling. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 98: 815–832. , , , .
- 1992. High solids simultaneous saccharification and fermentation of pretreated wheat straw to ethanol. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 33: 67–81. , , , .
- 1999. Main and interaction effects of acetic acid, furfural, and p-hydroxybenzoic acid on growth and ethanol productivity of yeasts. Biotechnol Bioeng 63: 46–55. , , , .
- 2005. A comparison between batch and fed-batch simultaneous saccharification and fermentation of steam pretreated spruce. Enzyme Microb Technol 37: 195–204. , , , .
- 2004. Determination of structural carbohydrates and lignin in biomass. Golden, CO, USA: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. .
- 2001. Influence of enzyme loading and physical parameters on the enzymatic hydrolysis of steam-pretreated softwood. Biotechnol Prog 17: 110–117. , , .
- 2006. Preliminary results on optimisation of pilot scale pretreatment of wheat straw used in coproduction of bioethanol and electricity. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 129–132: 448–460. , , , , , .
- 2002. Iogen's process for producing ethanol from cellulosic biomass. Clean Techn Environ Policy 3: 339–345. .
- 2004. High solid simultaneous saccharification and fermentation of wet oxidized corn stover to ethanol. Biotechnol Bioeng 88: 567–574. , , , .
- 2003. Techno-economic evaluation of producing ethanol from softwood: Comparison of SSF and SHF and identification of bottlenecks. Biotechnol Prog 19: 1109–1117. , , .
- 1988. Methods for measuring cellulase activities. In: WoodWA, KelloggST, editors. Biomass—Part A: Cellulose and hemicellulose. San Diego: Academic Press. pp 87–112. , .
- 1997. Inhibition of the enzymatic hydrolysis of cellulose by ethanol. Biotechnol Lett 19: 977–979. , .
- 2004. Effects of sugar inhibition on cellulases and beta-glucosidase during enzymatic hydrolysis of softwood substrates. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 113–16: 1115–1126. , , , .