Ion exchange chromatography of antibody fragments
Version of Record online: 9 NOV 2006
Copyright © 2006 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Biotechnology and Bioengineering
Volume 96, Issue 3, pages 515–524, 15 February 2007
How to Cite
Ljunglöf, A., Lacki, K. M., Mueller, J., Harinarayan, C., van Reis, R., Fahrner, R. and Van Alstine, J. M. (2007), Ion exchange chromatography of antibody fragments. Biotechnol. Bioeng., 96: 515–524. doi: 10.1002/bit.21124
- Issue online: 27 DEC 2006
- Version of Record online: 9 NOV 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 JUN 2006
- Manuscript Received: 31 MAR 2006
- 2004. Production technologies for monoclonal antibodies and their fragments. Curr Opin Biotechnol 15: 456–462. , .
- 1992. Steric mass-action ion exchange: Displacements profiles and induced salt gradients. AIChE J 38(12): 1969–1978. , .
- 2003. Identification of proteina A media performance attributes that can be monitored as surrogates for retrovirus clearance during extended re-use. J Chromatogr A 989: 155–163. , , , .
- 2004. Mammalian expression of therapeutic proteins. Bio Process Int 2: 32–40. .
- 2003. Nondiffusive mechanisms enhance protein uptake rates inion exchange particles. PNAS 100(2): 420–425. , , , , , .
- 1999a. Performance comparison of protein A affinity-chromatography sorbents for purifying recombinant monoclonal antibodies. Biotechnol Appl Biochem 30(2): 121–128. , , , .
- 1999b. Expanded bed protein A affinity chromatography of recombinant humanized monoclonal antibody: Process development, operation, and comparison with packed bed method. J Biotechnol 75(2–3): 273–280. , , .
- 2001. Industrial purification of pharmaceutical antibodies: Development, operation and validation of chromatography processes. Biotechnol Genetic Rev 18: 301–327. , , , , , , .
- , Ph. D. 2002. Dissertion, Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Missouri-Rolla, Missouri, USA.
- 2002. The interplay of diffusional and electrophoretic transport mechanisms of charged solutes in the liquid film surrounding charged nonporous adsorbent particles employed in finite bath adsorption systems. J Colloid Interface Sci 248(2): 504–520. , .
- 2003. Comparison of protein A affinity sorbents. J Chromatogr B 790: 35–51. , , .
- 2005. Comparison of protein A affinity sorbents II: Mass transfer properties. J Chromatogr A 1093: 98–110. , , , , , .
- 2006. Comparison of protein A affinity sorbents III: Life time study. J Chromatogr A 1102: 224–231. , , , .
- 2002. Development of novel ion exchange process conditions in antibody purification. Presentation at Antibody Production and Downstream Processing, IBC conference, San Diego, USA, November 2002. , , , , .
- 2006. An exclusion mechanism in ion exchange chromatography. Biotechnol Bioeng 95: 775–787. , , , , , .
- 2002. Dynamics of protein uptake within the adsorbent particle during packed bed chromatography. Biotechnol Bioeng 80(4): 359–368. , , , , .
- 2003a. Mechanisms in kinetics of transport in chromatography media studied by confocal laser scanning microscopy. Part I. The interplay of sorbent structure and fluid phase conditions. J Chromatogr A 1021: 93–104. , , , , , .
- 2003b. Mechanisms in kinetics of transport in chromatography media studied by confocal laser scanning microscopy. Part II. Impact on chromatographic separations. J Chromatogr A 1021: 105–115. , , , , .
- 2005. Rational methods for predicting human monoclonal antibodies retention in protein A affinity chromatography and cation exchange chromatography Structure-based chromatography design for monoclonal antibodies. J Chromatogr A 1093: 126–138. , , , , .
- 1999. Principles of fluorescence spectroscopy. New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, Chapter 16. .
- 2002. Raman and fluorescence spectroscopy applied to polymeric chromatographic adsorbent particles. J Chromatogr A 954: 151–158. , , , .
- 2003. Ligand distributions in agarose particles as determined by confocal Raman spectroscopy and confocal scanning laser microscopy. Appl Spectrosc 57(3): 251–255. , , , .
- 1999. Use of confocal microscopy to resolve protein transport mechanisms in chromatographic particles. Annual meeting of the American institute of chemical engineers. Paper 22b. Dallas, USA. , .
- 2005. The coupling of the electrostatic potential with the transport and adsorption mechanism in ionexchange chromatography systems: Theory and experiments. J Sep Sci 28: 1909–1926. . .
- 2001. Modeling and analysis of the dynamic behavior of mechanisms that result in the development of inner radial humps in the concentration of a single adsorbate in the adsorbed phase of porous particles observed in confocal scanning laser microscopy experiments: Diffusional mass transfer and adsorption in the presence of an electrical double layer. J Chromatogr A 921(2): 135–145. , , , .
- 2001. Doctoral thesis: “Untersuchungen zum inneren Transport bei der Proteinadsorption an poröse Medien mittels konfokaler Laser-Raster-Mikroskopie”. Heinrich-Heine-Universität Duesseldorf, Germany. .
- 1999. Visualizing two-component protein diffusion in porous adsorbents by confocal scanning laser microscopy. Biotechnol Bioeng 65(6): 622–630. , , , .
- 2002. Visualizing patterns of protein uptake to porous media using confocal scanning laser microscopy. Sep Sci Tech 37(1): 1–32. , , , , .
- 2002. Doctoral thesis: “Direct observation of biomolecule adsorption and spatial distribution of functional groups in chromatographic adsorbent particles”. Uppsala University, Sweden. www.uu.se/avhandlingar. .
- 1996. Confocal microscopy as a tool for studying protein adsorption to chromatographic matrices. J Chromatogr A 743: 75–83. , .
- 1998. Visualizing intraparticle protein transport in porous adsorbents by confocal microscopy. J Chromatogr 813: 387–395. , .
- 1999. Direct visualization of plasmid DNA in individual chromatography adsorbent particles by confocal scanning laser microscopy. J Chromatogr A 844: 129–135. , , , .
- 2000. Measurement of ligand distribution in individual adsorbent particles using confocal scanning laser microscopy and confocal micro-Raman spectroscopy. J Chromatogr A 893: 235–244. , , , .
- 2003. Adsorption oif monoclonal antibodies to cation exchange chromatography media. A study with confocal microscopy. Presentation at Prep 2003, Washington DC, June 2003. , , , , , .
- 2005. Two-component protein adsorption kinetics in porous ion exchange media. J Chromatogr A 1079(1–2): 105–115. , , , .
- 2003. Evaluation of protein-A chromatography media. J Chromatogr A 989: 139–153. , , , .
- 2005. Advances and applications of de novo designed affinity ligands in proteomics. Biotechnol Adv 24: 17–26. , .
- 2004. Antibodies and genetically engineered related molecules: Production and purification. Biotechnol Prog 20(3): 639–654. , , .
- 2001. Comparison of chromatographic ionexchange resins: II. More strong anion-exchange media. J Chromatogr A 908: 149–161. , .
- 1998. Comparison of loading capacities of various proteins and peptides in culture medium and pure state. J Chromatogr A 827(2): 311–318. , , , .
- 2004. Comparison of chromatographic ionexchange resins: III Strong cation-exchange resins. J Chromatogr A 1034: 85–97. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. The use of confocal laser scanning microscopy to study the transport of biomacromolecules in a macroporous support. J Chromatogr B 818: 89–97. , .
- 2005. Protein labeling effects in confocal laser scanning microscopy. J Phys Chem B 109: 13811–13817. , , , .
- 1999. Investigations on protein adsorption to agarose-dextran composite media. Biotechnol Bioeng 62(3): 358–362. .
- 1990. Quantitative fluorescence in confocal microscopy. The effect of the detection pinhole on the re-absorption and inner filtering phenomena. J Micros 158: 121–132. , .
- 2003. Optimizing expression and purification from cell culture medium of trispecific recombinant antibody derivatives. J Chromatogr B 786: 161–176. , , , , .
- 2001. Rapid two-step purification of a recombinant mouse Fab fragment expressed in Escherichia coli. Protein Expr Purif 22(2): 325–329. , , , , .
- 2004a. Analysis and parametric sensitivity of the behavior of overshoots in the concentration of charged adsorbate in the adsorbed phase of charged adsorbent particles: Practical implications for separations of charged solutes. J Colloid Interf Sci 273: 22–38. , , , , .
- 2004b. Molecular dynamics simulation studies of the transport and adsorption of a charged macromolecule onto a charged adsorbent solid surface immersed in an electrolytic solution. J Colloid Iterf Sci 277: 483–498. , , , .
- 2005a. Molecular dynamics simulation studies of the conformation and lateral mobility of a charged adsorbate biomolecule: Implications for estimating the critical value of the radius of a pore in porous media. J Colloid Iterf Sci 290: 373–382. , , , .
- 2005b. Construction of molecular dynamics modeling and simulations of the porous structures formed by dextran polymer chains attached on the surface of the pores of a base matrix: Characterization of porous structures. J Phys Chem 109: 21028–21039. , , , .
- 2006. Analysis of mass transport models for protein adsorption to cation exchanger by visualization by confocal laser scanning microscopy. J Chromatogr A 1103: 110–117. , , , .