Effect of enzyme supplementation at moderate cellulase loadings on initial glucose and xylose release from corn stover solids pretreated by leading technologies
Article first published online: 25 JUL 2008
Copyright © 2008 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Biotechnology and Bioengineering
Volume 102, Issue 2, pages 457–467, 1 February 2009
How to Cite
Kumar, R. and Wyman, C.E. (2009), Effect of enzyme supplementation at moderate cellulase loadings on initial glucose and xylose release from corn stover solids pretreated by leading technologies. Biotechnol. Bioeng., 102: 457–467. doi: 10.1002/bit.22068
- Issue published online: 17 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 25 JUL 2008
- Accepted manuscript online: 25 JUL 2008 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 JUL 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 16 JUL 2008
- Manuscript Received: 6 JUN 2008
- U.S. Department of Energy Office of the Biomass Program. Grant Number: DE-FG36-04GO14017
- National Institute of Standards and Technology. Grant Number: 60NANB1D0064
- 1995. Thermal deactivation of free and immobilized b-glucosidase from Penicillium funiculosum. Biotechnol Prog 11(1): 104–106. , , , .
- 1996. Xylan-degrading enzymes from the thermophilic fungus Humicola lanuginosa (Griffon and Maublanc) Bunce: Action pattern of xylanase and [beta]-glucosidase on xylans, xylooligomers and arabinoxylooligomers. J Ferment Bioeng 81(6): 511–517. , .
- 2008. Characterization of [beta]-xylosidase enzyme from a Pichia stipitis mutant. Bioresource Technol 99(1): 38–43. , .
- 2003. Enzymatic hydrolysis of dissolved corn stalk hemicelluloses: Reaction kinetics and modeling. J Chem Technol Biotechnol 78(7): 802–808. , .
- 1992. Influence of beta-glucosidase on the filter paper activity and hydrolysis of lignocellulosic substrates. Bioresource Technol 39(2): 139–142. , , , .
- 2000. Fundamental factors affecting biomass enzymatic reactivity. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 84–86: 5–37. , .
- 2000. Synergy between enzymes from Aspergillus involved in the degradation of plant cell wall polysaccharides. Carbohydr Res 327(4): 401–410. , , , , .
- 1997. Substrate reactivity as a function of the extent of reaction in the enzymic hydrolysis of lignocellulose. Biotechnol Bioeng 56(6): 650–655. , .
- 2008. Enzyme characterization for hydrolysis of AFEX and liquid hot-water pretreated distillers' grains and their conversion to ethanol. Bioresource Technol 99(12): 5216–5225. , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Saccharification of steam-exploded poplar wood. Biotechnol Bioeng 38(11): 1308–1317. , , .
- 2006. Effect of inhibitors released during steam-explosion pretreatment of barley straw on enzymatic hydrolysis. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 129–132: 278–288. , , , , , .
- 1987. Measurement of hemicellulase activities. Part 1: Xylanases. Pure Appl Chem 59(12): 1739–1752. , .
- 1982. Simultaneous saccharification and fermentation of cellulose: Effect of β-glucosidase activity and ethanol inhibition of cellulases. Enzyme Microb Technol 4(6): 425–430. , , .
- 2007. Solubilities of oligomer mixtures produced by the hydrolysis of xylans and corn stover in water at 180°C. Ind Eng Chem Res 46(8): 2383–2391. , , .
- 2004. Inhibition of the Trichoderma reesei cellulases by cellobiose is strongly dependent on the nature of the substrate. Biotechnol Bioeng 86(5): 503–511. , , , .
- 2001. Shear deactivation of cellulase, exoglucanase, endoglucanase, and β-glucosidase in a mechanically agitated reactor. Biotechnol Prog 17(6): 1166–1168. , , .
- 1985. A product inhibition study of cellulases from Trichoderma longibrachiatum using dyed cellulose. J Biotechnol 3(3): 167–174. , , , , .
- 1990. Inhibition of Trichoderma reesei cellulase by sugars and solvents. Biotechnol Bioeng 36(3): 275–287. , , , .
- 2007. Effect of pretreatment severity on xylan solubility and enzymatic breakdown of the remaining cellulose from wheat straw. Bioresource Technol 98(10): 2034–2042. , , , , .
- 1999. Effect of dissolved lignin and related compounds on the enzymic hydrolysis of cellulose model compound. Cell Chem Technol 33(3–4): 203–213. , , .
- 2005. Lime pretreatment and enzymatic hydrolysis of corn stover. Bioresource Technol 96(18): 1994–2006. , .
- 2005. Pretreatment and fractionation of corn stover by ammonia recycle percolation process. Bioresource Technol 96(18): 2007–2013. , .
- 2006. Pretreatment of corn stover by low-liquid ammonia recycle percolation process. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 133(1): 41–57. , , , .
- 1992. Effects of cell-wall acetate xylan backbone and lignin on enzymatic hydrolysis of aspen wood. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 34: 23–35. , , .
- 1992. Combined action of xylan-degrading and accessory enzymes on different glucurono-arabino xylans. Progr Biotechnol 7(Xylans Xylanases): 415–418. , .
- 2008a. Effects of cellulase and xylanase enzymes on the deconstruction of solids from pretreatment of poplar by leading technologies. Biotechnol Prog (in press). , .
- 2008b. The impact of dilute sulfuric acid on the selectivity of xylooligomer depolymerization to monomers. Carbohydr Res 343(2): 290–300. , .
- 2008c. An improved method to directly estimate cellulase adsorption on biomass solids. Enzyme Microb Technol 42(5): 426–433. , .
- 2003. The effect of flow rate of compressed hot water on xylan, lignin, and total mass removal from corn stover. Ind Eng Chem Res 42(21): 5409–5416. , .
- 2005. Combined sugar yields for dilute sulfuric acid pretreatment of corn stover followed by enzymatic hydrolysis of the remaining solids. Bioresource Technol 96(18): 1967–1977. , .
- 2007. Progress and challenges in enzyme development for biomass utilization. Adv Biochem Eng Biotechnol 108: 95–120. , .
- 2005. Features of promising technologies for pretreatment of lignocellulosic biomass. Bioresource Technol 96(6): 673–686. , , , , , , .
- 1983. Effects of agitation on enzymic hydrolysis of cellulose in a stirred-tank reactor. J Ferment Technol 61(6): 615–621. , , .
- 2007. Optimization of ammonia fiber expansion (AFEX) pretreatment and enzymatic hydrolysis of miscanthus x giganteus to fermentable sugars. Biotechnol Prog 23(4): 846–850. , , , , , .
- NREL. 1996. Enzymatic saccharification of lignocellulosic biomass. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. LAP009.
- NREL. 2004. Determination of structural carbohydrates and lignin in biomass. Golden, CO: National Renewable Energy Laboratory. LAP02.
- 2000. Bioconversion of cellulose into ethanol by nonisothermal simultaneous saccharification and fermentation. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 89(1): 15–30. , , , .
- 1983. Bioconversion of hemicellulose: Aspects of hemicellulase production by Trichoderma reesei QM 9414 and enzymic saccharification of hemicellulose. Biotechnol Bioeng 25(4): 1127–1146. .
- 1997. Enzymes in lignocellulosic biomass conversion. ACS Sym Ser 666 (Fuels and Chemicals from Biomass): 46–56. , .
- 1984. Sorption of Penicillium cellulase on cellulose and lignin. Acta Biotechnol 4(3): 267–274. , , , , .
- 1999. Hydrolysis of xylans by enzyme systems from solid cultures of Trichoderma harzianum strains. Braz J Med Biol Res 32(8): 947–952. , , , , , , .
- 1985. Measurement of protein using bicinchoninic acid. Anal Biochem 150(1): 76–85. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Simultaneous saccharification and fermentation of pretreated wheat straw to ethanol with selected yeast strains and beta -glucosidase supplementation. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 20–21: 529–540. , , , .
- 1991. Optimum β-glucosidase supplementation of cellulase for efficient conversion of cellulose to glucose. Biotechnol Lett 13(1): 57–62. , , , .
- 1996. Synergism among endo-xylanase, β-xylosidase, and acetyl xylan esterase from Bacillus stearothermophilus. J Microbiol Biotechnol 6(3): 173–178. , .
- 2004. Enzymatic hydrolysis of rye straw and bermudagrass using cellulases supplemented with β-glucosidase. Trans ASAE 47(1): 343–349. , .
- 1986. The role of lignin in the adsorption of cellulases during enzymic treatment of lignocellulosic material. Biotechnol Bioeng Symp 17: 749–762. , .
- 1988. Digestion of pretreated aspen substrates. Hydrolysis rates and adsorptive loss of cellulase enzymes. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 18: 159–174. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Influence of enzyme loading and physical parameters on the enzymatic hydrolysis of steam-pretreated softwood. Biotechnol Prog 17(1): 110–117. , , .
- 1996. Synergism of xylanolytic enzymes of Trichoderma reesei in the degradation of acetyl-4-O-methylglucuronoxylan. Biotechnology in the Pulp and Paper Industry: Recent Advances in Applied and Fundamental Research, Proceedings of the International Conference on Biotechnology in the Pulp and Paper Industry, 6th, Vienna, June 11–15, 1995: 503–508. , , , , .
- 1987. Effect of reaction end-products on the activity of cellulolytic enzymes and xylanase of Trichoderma harzianum. Microbios Lett 36(143–144): 113–119. , , .
- 1997. Enzymic hydrolysis of pretreated rice straw. Bioresource Technol 59(2&3): 109–119. , , , .
- 1980. Effect of lignin and some of its components on the production and activity of cellulase(s) by Trichoderma reesei. Biotechnol Bioeng 22(7): 1497–1500. , , , .
- 2006. Changes in the structural properties and rate of hydrolysis of cotton fibers during extended enzymatic hydrolysis. Biotechnol Bioeng 93(3): 443–456. , , , , , .
- 1994. Characterisation of a β-glucosidase from the anaerobic rumen fungus Neocallimastix frontalis with particular reference to attack on cello-oligosaccharides. J Biotechnol 37(3): 217–227. , , .
- 2005. Effect of reduction in yeast and enzyme concentrations in a simultaneous-saccharification-and-fermentation-based bioethanol process: Technical and economic evaluation. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 121–124: 485– 499. , , , , .
- 1997. Ammonia recycled percolation as a complementary pretreatment to the dilute-acid process. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 63–65: 21–34. , .
- 2007. What is (and is not) vital to advancing cellulosic ethanol. Trends Biotechnol 25(4): 153–157. .
- 2005. Comparative sugar recovery data from laboratory scale application of leading pretreatment technologies to corn stover. Bioresource Technol 96(18): 2026–2032. , , , , , .
- 2004. Effects of sugar inhibition on cellulases and beta-glucosidase during enzymatic hydrolysis of softwood substrates. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 113–116: 1115–1126. , , , .
- 2008. Partition of enzymes between the solvent and insoluble substrate during the hydrolysis of lignocellulose by cellulases. J Mol Catal B Enzym 51(1–2): 42–48. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. BSA treatment to enhance enzymatic hydrolysis of cellulose in lignin containing substrates. Biotechnol Bioeng 94(4): 611–617. , .
- 2008. Characterization of the degree of polymerization of xylooligomers produced by flowthrough hydrolysis of pure xylan and corn stover with water. Bioresource Technol 99(13): 5756–5762. , .
- 2006. Changes in the enzymatic hydrolysis rate of Avicel cellulose with conversion. Biotechnol Bioeng 94(6): 1122–1128. , , .
- 2004. Mechanism of cellobiose inhibition in cellulose hydrolysis by cellobiohydrolase. Sci China C Life Sci 47(1): 18–24. , , , .
- 2005. Determination of the number-average degree of polymerization of cellodextrins and cellulose with application to enzymatic hydrolysis. Biomacromolecules 6(3): 1510–1515. , .
- 2007. Adsorption characteristics of cellulase and β-glucosidase to lignin, cellulose and pretreated creeping wild ryegrass. Minnesota: Minneapolis. pp. 1–13. , , , , , .