Haimanti Dorai and Yun Seung Kyung contributed equally to this work.
Expression of anti-apoptosis genes alters lactate metabolism of Chinese Hamster Ovary cells in culture†
Article first published online: 22 JAN 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Biotechnology and Bioengineering
Volume 103, Issue 3, pages 592–608, 15 June 2009
How to Cite
Dorai, H., Kyung, Y. S., Ellis, D., Kinney, C., Lin, C., Jan, D., Moore, G. and Betenbaugh, M. J. (2009), Expression of anti-apoptosis genes alters lactate metabolism of Chinese Hamster Ovary cells in culture. Biotechnol. Bioeng., 103: 592–608. doi: 10.1002/bit.22269
- Issue published online: 22 APR 2009
- Article first published online: 22 JAN 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 22 JAN 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 JAN 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 28 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Received: 21 OCT 2008
- 2001. Analysis of CHO cells metabolic redistribution in a glutamate-based defined medium in continuous culture. Biotechnol Prog 17: 1032–1041. , , , , , .
- 2004. Strategies for fed-batch cultivation of t-PA producing CHO cells: Substitution of glucose and glutamine and rational design of culture medium. J Biotechnol 110: 171–179. , , , , .
- 2006. Considerations on the lactate consumption by CHO cells in the presence of galactose. J Biotechnol 125: 547–556. , , , , .
- 2004. Life and death in mammalian cellculture: Strategies for apoptosis inhibition. Trends Biotechnol 22: 174–180. , .
- 2004. Cell engineering blocks cell stress and improves biotherapeutic production. BioProcess J 3: 23–28. , , .
- 2006. Antibody production. Adv Drug Deliv Rev 58: 671–685. , .
- 1985. Lactate: Glycolytic product and oxidative substrate during sustained exercise in mammals—The ‘lactate shuttle’. In: GillesR, editor. Comparative physiology and biochemistry: Current topics and trends. Berlin: Springer. p 208–218. .
- 2008. Protein-free fed-batch culture of non-GS NS0 Cell lines for production of recombinant antibodies. Biotechnol Bioeng 96: 281–289. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Fortification of a protein-free cell culture medium with plant peptones improves cultivation and productivity of an interferon-gamma-producing CHO cell line. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim 39: 291–296. , , , , , .
- 1994. Determination of ammonium and L-glutamine in hybridoma cell cultures by sequential flow injection analysis. Cytotechnology 14: 177–182. , , , , , .
- 2000. Aven, a novel inhibitor of caspase activation, binds Bcl-xL and Apaf-1. Mol Cell 6: 31–40. , , , .
- 2001. Engineering of a mammalian cell line for reduction of lactate formation and high monoclonal antibody production. Biotech Bioeng 72: 51–62. , , , , .
- 2005. Bcl-x(L) mediates increased production of humanized monoclonal antibodies in Chinese hamster ovary cells. Biotechnol Bioeng 91: 779–792. , .
- 2000. Phosphate feeding improves high-cell-concentration NS0 myeloma culture performance for monoclonal antibody production. Biotechnol Bioeng 69: 566–576. , , , .
- 2001. Comparison of Bcl-2 to a Bcl-2 deletion mutant for mammalian cells exposed to culture insults. Biotechnol Bioeng 73: 211–222. , , , , .
- 2003. A comparison of the properties of a Bcl-xL variant to the wild-type anti-apoptosis inhibitor in mammalian cell cultures. Metab Eng 5: 230–245. , , , , .
- 2004. Aven and Bcl-xL enhance protection against apoptosis for mammalian cells exposed to various culture insults. Biotechnol Bioeng 85: 589–600. , , , , .
- 2007. Enhanced cell culture performance using inducible anti-apoptotic genes E1B-19K and Aven in the production of a monoclonal antibody with Chinese hamster ovary cells. Biotechnol Bioeng 97: 877–892. , , , , , .
- 1999. Apoptosis in batch cultures of Chinese hamster ovary cells. Biotechnol Bioeng 62: 632–640. , , , , .
- 1994. Influence of ammonium on growth, metabolism, and productivity of a continuous suspension Chinese hamster ovary cell culture. Biotechnol Prog 10: 121–124. , .
- 2007a. Down-regulation of lactate dehydrogenase-A by siRNAs for reduced lactic acid formation of Chinese hamster ovary cells producing thrombopoietin. Applied Microbiol. Biotechnology 74: 152–159. , .
- 2007b. Functional expression of human pyruvate carboxylase for reduced lactic acid formation of Chinese hamster ovary cells (DG44). Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 76: 659–666. , .
- 2004. Large scale gene expression profiling of metabolic shift of mammalian cells in culture. J Biotechnol 107: 1–17. , , , , , , .
- 1990. Growth behavior of Chinese hamster ovary cells in a compact loop bioreactor. 2. Effects of medium components and waste products. J Biotechnol 15: 113–128. , , , , .
- 1994. Growth characteristics in fed-batch culture of hybridoma cells with control of glucose and glutamine concentrations. Biotechnol Bioeng 44: 95–103. , , , .
- 2007. Links between metabolism and apoptosis in mammalian cells: Applications for anti-apoptosis engineering. Metab Eng 9: 317–326. , , .
- 1998. Elevated glutamate dehydrogenase flux in glucose-deprived hybridoma and myeloma cells: Evidence from 1H/15N NMR. Biotechnol Bioeng 60: 508–517. , , , , , .
- 1998. Overcoming apoptosis: New methods for improving protein-expression systems. Trends Biotechnol 16: 88–95. , .
- 2000. Overexpression of bcl-2 family members enhances survival of mammalian cells in response to various culture insults. Biotechnol Bioeng 67: 555–564. , , , .
- 2006. Application of cell sorting in biotechnology. Microbial Cell Factories 5: 12–19. , .
- 2002. Impact of coexpression and coamplification of sICAM and antiapoptosis determinants bcl-2/bcl-x(L) on productivity, cell survival, and mitochondria number in CHO-DG44 grown in suspension and serum-free media. Biotechnol Bioeng 80: 706–716. , , , , .
- 1994. Induction of apoptosis in nutrient-deprived cultures of hybridoma and myeloma cells. Biotechnol Bioeng 44: 1140–1154. , .
- 1994. Genetically engineering mammalian cell lines for increased viability and productivity. Biotechnol Adv 12: 253–277. , .
- 1986. Effect of lactate on the recovery of CHO-KI cells from gamma radiation damage. Acta Radiol Oncol 25: 71–76. , .
- 2007. Anti-apoptotic genes Aven and E1B-19K enhance performance of BHK cells engineered to express recombinant factor VIII in batch and low perfusion cell culture. Biotechnol Bioeng 98: 825–841. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Proteome analysis of antibody-producing CHO cell lines with different metabolic profiles. Biotechnol Bioeng 98: 391–410. , , , , .
- 2002. Apoptosis in Biotechnology: Its role in mammalian cell culture and methods of inhibition. BioProcess J 1: 61–69. , .
- 2002. Inhibiting apoptosis in mammalian cell culture using the caspase inhibitor XIAP and deletion mutants. Biotechnol Bioeng 77: 704–716. , , .
- 2003. Study of caspase inhibitors for limiting death in mammalian cell culture. Biotechnol Bioeng 81: 329–340. , , .
- 2006. Combining caspase and mitochondrial dysfunction inhibitors of apoptosis to limit cell death in mammalian cell cultures. Biotechnol Bioeng 94: 362–369. , , , .
- 2000. Electrophysiological study of a novel large pore formed by Bax and the voltage dependent anion channel that is permeable to cytochrome c. J Biol Chem 275: 12321–12325. , , , .
- 2003. Efficacy of dichloroacetate as a lactate-lowering drug. J Clin Pharmacol 43: 683–691. , , .
- 1990. Enhanced antibody production at slowed growth rates: Experimental demonstration and a simple structured model. Biotechnol Prog 6: 231–236. , .
- 2000a. Bcl-2 mediated suppression of apoptosis in myeloma NS0 cultures. J Biotechnol 79: 147–159. , , , , .
- 2000b. Influence of Bcl-2 on cell death during the cultivation of a Chinese hamster ovary cell line expressing a chimeric antibody. Biotechnol Bioeng 68: 31–43. , , , , .
- 1999. Bcl-xL prevents cell death following growth factor withdrawal by facilitating mitochondrial ATP/ADP exchange. Mol Cell 3: 159–167. , , , .
- 2003. Metabolic engineering of apoptosis in cultured animal cells: Implications for the biotechnology industry. Metab Eng 5: 124–132. , , , .
- 1924. Über den Stoffwechsel der Carcinomzelle. Biochemische Zeitschrift 152: 309–344. , , .
- 2005. The endoplasmic reticulum gateway to apoptosis by Bcl-X(L) modulation of the InsP3R. Nat Cell Biol 7: 1021–1028. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Engineering cell metabolism for high-density cell culture via manipulation of sugar transport. J Biotechnol 131: 168–176. , .
- 1993. Fed-batch cultivation of animal cells using different medium design concepts and feeding strategies. Biotechnol Bioeng 43: 1175–1189. , .
- 2005. Development of animal-free, protein-free and chemically-defined media for NS0 cell culture. Cytotechnology 48: 59–74. , .
- 2004. Fed-batch culture of hybridoma cells in serum-free medium using an optimized feeding strategy. J Chem Technol Biotechnol 79: 171–181. , , .
- 1995. High viable cell concentration fed-batch cultures of hybridoma cells through on-line nutrient feeding. Biotechnol Bioeng 46: 579–587. , , .
- 1997. Fed-batch culture of recombinant NS0 myeloma cells with high monoclonal antibody production. Biotechnol Bioeng 55: 783–792. , , , .