Biosynthesis of polylactic acid and its copolymers using evolved propionate CoA transferase and PHA synthase
Version of Record online: 23 NOV 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Biotechnology and Bioengineering
Volume 105, Issue 1, pages 150–160, 1 January 2010
How to Cite
Yang, T. H., Kim, T. W., Kang, H. O., Lee, S.-H., Lee, E. J., Lim, S.-C., Oh, S. O., Song, A.-J., Park, S. J. and Lee, S. Y. (2010), Biosynthesis of polylactic acid and its copolymers using evolved propionate CoA transferase and PHA synthase. Biotechnol. Bioeng., 105: 150–160. doi: 10.1002/bit.22547
- Issue online: 23 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 23 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 SEP 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 5 SEP 2009
- Manuscript Received: 26 JUL 2009
- LG Chem
- Korean Systems Biology Research Project of the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology through Korea Science and Engineering Foundation
- World Class University Program of the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology. Grant Number: 20090065571
- 1997. Physical properties and enzymatic degradability of copolymers of (R)-3-hydroxybutyric acid and (S,S)-lactide. Polymer 39: 59–67. , , , .
- 1978. A rapid gas chromatographic method for the determination of poly-β-hydroxybutyric acid in microbial biomass. Eur J Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 6: 29–37. , , .
- 2005. The application of polyhydroxyalkanoates as tissue engineering materials. Biomaterials 26: 6565–6578. , .
- 2006. Cells or plants that can produce polylactate or its copolymers and to a method for preparing polylactate or its copolymers using the same. WO/2006/126796. , , , .
- 2000. Polylactic acid technology. Adv Mater 12: 1841–1846. , , .
- 2007. In situ copolyesters containing poly (L-lactide) and poly (hydroxyalkanoate) units. Biomacromolecules 8: 1131–1137. , , , ,
- 2010. Metabolic engineering of Escherichia coli for the production of polylactic acid and its copolymers. Biotechnol Bioeng 105: 161–171. , , , .
- 1995. Four new derivatives of the broad-host-range cloning vector pBBR1MCS, carrying different antibiotic-resistance cassettes. Gene 166: 175–176. , , , , , , .
- Bacterial polyhydroxyalkanoates. Biotechnol Bioeng 49: 1–14. .
- 1994. Comparison of recombinant Escherichia coli strains for synthesis and accumulation of poly-(3-hydroxybutyric acid) and morphological changes. Biotechnol Bioeng 44: 1337–1347. , , , .
- 2008. Complete NMR spectral assignments of siloxanol based copolycarbonate including the configurational copolymer structure and the determination of each monomer conversion. J Mol Struct 886: 166–174. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Synergistic effects of Glu130Asp substitution in the type II polyhydroxyalkanoate (PHA) synthase: Enhancement of PHA production and alteration of polymer molecular weight. Biomacromolecules 6: 99–104. , , , , .
- 2006. In vivo and in vitro characterization of Ser477X mutations in polyhydroxyalkanoate (PHA) synthase 1 from Pseudomonas sp. 61-3: Effects of beneficial mutations on enzymatic activity, substrate specificity, and molecular weight of PHA. Biomacromolecules 7: 2436–2442. , , , , .
- 1998. Cloning and molecular analysis of the Poly(3-hydroxybutyrate) and Poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyalkanoate) biosynthesis genes in Pseudomonas sp. strain 61-3. J Bacteriol 180: 6459–6467. , , , , , .
- 2005. Synthesis of poly (lactic acid): A review. J Macromol Sci Polym Rev 45: 325–349. , , , .
- 2004. Polymer alloys of Nodax copolymers and poly(lactic acid). Macromol Biosci 4: 269–275. , , , .
- 2002. Metabolic engineering of Escherichia coli for the production of medium-chain-length polyhydroxyalkanoates rich in specific monomers. FEMS Microbiol Lett 214: 217–222. , , .
- 2008. Mutants of PHA synthase from Pseudomonas sp. 6-19 and method for preparing lactate homopolymer or copolymer using the same. WO/2008/062999. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Polyester synthases: Natural catalysts for plastics. Biochem J 376: 15–33. .
- 2007. Block copolymers and melt blends of polylactide with Nodax™ microbial polyesters: Preparation and mechanical properties. J Biotechnol 132: 287–295. , .
- 2002. Propionate CoA-transferase from Clostridium propionicum. Cloning of gene and identification of glutamate 324 at the active site. Eur J Biochem 269: 372–380. , , .
- 2002. Properties of lactic acid based polymers and their correlation with composition. Progr Polym Sci 27: 1123–1163. , .
- 2004. Cloning of new Pseudomonas sp. MBEL 6-19 polyhydroxyalkanoate synthase genes and their use in the development of recombinant microorganisms. M.S. Thesis, KAIST: Korea. .
- 1999. A sensitive, viable-colony staining method using Nile red for direct screening of bacteria that accumulate polyhydroxyalkanoic acids and other lipid storage compounds. Arch Microbiol 171: 73–80. , , , , .
- 1995. Diversity of bacterial polyhydroxyalkanoic acids. FEMS Microbiol Lett 128: 219–228. , .
- 2008. A microbial factory for lactate-based polyesters using a lactate-polymerizing enzyme. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 105: 17323–17327. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Enhanced synthesis of poly(3-hydroxybutyrate) in recombinant Escherichia coli by means of error-prone PCR mutagenesis, saturation mutagenesis, and in vitro recombination of the type II polyhydroxyalkanoate synthase gene. J Biochem 133: 139–145. , , .
- 2004. Alteration of substrate chain-length specificity of type II synthase for polyhydroxyalkanoate biosynthesis by in vitro evolution: In vivo and in vitro enzyme assays. Biomacromolecules 5: 480–485. , , , .
- 1994. Application of enzymatically synthesized short-chain-length hydroxy fatty acid coenzyme A thioesters for assay of polyhydroxyalkanoic acid synthases. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 40: 699–709. , .
- 2003. Applications of life cycle assessment to NatureWorks™ polylactide(PLA) production. Polym Degrad Stab 80: 403–419. , , , .
- 2009. Microbial production of lactate-enriched poly[(R)-lactate-co-(R)-3-hydroxybutyrate] with novel thermal properties. Biomacromolecules 10: 677–681. , , , .
- 2001. Class I and III polyhydroxyalkanoate synthases from Ralstonia eutropha and Allochromatium vinosum: Characterization and substrate specificity studies. Arch Biochem Biophys 394: 87–98. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Comparative study of the relationship between monomer structure and reactivity for two polyhydroxyalkanoate synthases. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 56: 131–136. , , , , .