A strategy to determine operating parameters in tissue engineering hollow fiber bioreactors
Version of Record online: 2 MAR 2011
Copyright © 2011 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Biotechnology and Bioengineering
Volume 108, Issue 6, pages 1450–1461, June 2011
How to Cite
Shipley, R.J., Davidson, A.J., Chan, K., Chaudhuri, J.B., Waters, S.L. and Ellis, M.J. (2011), A strategy to determine operating parameters in tissue engineering hollow fiber bioreactors. Biotechnol. Bioeng., 108: 1450–1461. doi: 10.1002/bit.23062
- Issue online: 12 APR 2011
- Version of Record online: 2 MAR 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 DEC 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 12 NOV 2010
- Manuscript Received: 12 SEP 2010
- Christ Church, University of Oxford
- Mathematical Institute, University of Oxford
- Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Bath
- John Fell Fund Oxford University Press Grant
- 2007. Modelling nutrient transport in hollow fibre membrane bioreactor for growing bone tissue with consideration of multi-component interactions. Chem Eng Sci 62: 5821–5839. , .
- 2009. Nutrient transport in bioreactors for bone tissue growth: Why do hollow fibre membrane bioreactors work? Chem Eng Sci 64(1): 109–125. , , .
- 1964. Handbook of mathematical functions with formulas, graphs, and mathematical tables. Dover Publications. , .
- 1996. Modeling of axial-flow hollow fiber cell culture bioreactors. Biotechnol Prog 12(5): 575–590. , .
- 1999. Cardiac tissue engineering: Cell seeding, cultivation parameters, and tissue construct characterization. Biotechnol Bioeng 64(5): 580–589. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Mixtures of hemoglobin-based oxygen carriers and peruorocarbons exhibit a synergistic effect in oxygenating hepatic hollow fiber bioreactors. Biotechnol Bioeng 105(3): 534–542. , .
- 2008. A compu-tational model for the optimization of transport phenomena in a rotating hollow-fiber bioreactor for artificial liver. Tissue Eng Part C Methods 15(1): 41. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Multiscale simulation of nutrient transport in hollow fibre membrane bioreactor for growing bone tissue: Sub-cellular scale and beyond. Chem Eng Sci 62(13): 3627–3639. .
- 2007. Poly (lactic-co-glycolic acid) hollow fibre membranes for use as a tissue engineering scaffold. Biotechnol Bioeng 96(1): 177–187. , .
- 2005. Bioreactors for tissue engineering. Amsterdam: Kluwer Academic Publishers. , , .
- 2007. Oxygen, nitric oxide and articular cartilage. Eur Cell Mater 13: 56–65. , , , , , .
- 2001. New miniaturized hollow-fiber bioreactor for in vivo like cell culture, cell expansion, and production of cell-derived products. Biotechnol Prog 17: 828–831. , .
- 2000. Comparison of cell growth in T-Flasks, in micro hollow fiber biroeactors, and in an industrial scale hollow fiber bioreactor. Cytotechnology 34: 111–119. , .
- 2000. Oxygen transfer in a diffusion-limited hollow fiber bioartificial liver. Artif Organs 24(4): 278–288. , , , , .
- 1992. The solution of hollow-fiber bioreactor design equations. Biotechnol Prog 8(5): 462–464. .
- 2006. Comparison between bioartificial and artificial liver for the treatment of acute liver failure in pigs. World J Gastroenterol 12(46): 7503. , , , , , .
- 1976. An improved theoretical model for hollow-fiber enzyme reactors. Chem Eng Sci 31(4): 289–294. , .
- 1972. Cell culture on artificial capillaries: An approach to tissue growth in vitro. Science 178: 65–67. , , , .
- 1918. The rate of diffusion of gases through animal tissue with some remarks on the coefficient of invasion. J Physiol 52: 391. .
- 1970. Oxygen tension in synovial fluids. Arthritis Rheum 13(6): 769–776. .
- 2004. Oxygen gradients in tissue-engineered PEGT/PBT cartilaginous constructs: Measurement and modeling. Biotechnol Bioeng 86(1): 9–18. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Bioreactors for tissue mass culture: Design, characterization, and recent advances. Biomaterials 26(35): 7481–7503. , .
- 1994. Primary hepatocytes outperform Hep G2 cells as the source of biotransformation functions in a bioartificial liver. Ann Surg 220: 59–67. , , , , , .
- 2005. Rapid, large-scale formation of porcine hepatocyte spheroids in a novel spheroid reservoir bioartificial liver. Liver Transplant 11(8): 901–910. , , , , , .
- 1999. Gas exchange is essential for bioreactor cultivation of tissue engineered cartilage. Biotechnol Bioeng 63(2): 197–205. , , , .
- 2000. Glycosaminoglycan deposition in engineered cartilage: Experiments and mathematical model. AIChE J 46(9): 1860–1871. , , , .
- 2004. Oxygen consumption in a hollow fiber bioartificial liver revisited. Artif Organs 28(1): 83–98.
- 1990. Theoretical analysis of the effect of convective ow on solute transport and insulin release in a hollow fiber bioartificial pancreas. J Biomech Eng 112: 220. , .
- 1991. Model of oxygen transport limitations in hollow fiber bioreactors. Biotechnol Bioeng 37(1): 80–892. , .
- 2005. Mathematical model of oxygen distribution in engineered cardiac tissue with parallel channel array perfused with culture medium containing oxygen carriers. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 288(3): H1278–H1289. , , , .
- 1991. Bioreactors in biotechnology: A practical approach. Chichester, West Sussex: Ellis Horwood Limited. .
- 2010. Definition and validation of operating equations for poly(vinyl alcohol)-poly(lactide-co-glycolide) microfiltration membrane-scaffold bioreactors. Biotechnol Bioeng. 107(2): 382–392. , , .
- 1997. Characterization of the three-compartment gel-entrapment porcine hepatocyte bioartificial liver. Cell Biol Toxicol 13(4): 357–364. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Modeling and in vitro and in vivo characterization of a tissue engineered pancreatic substitute. J Comb Optim 17(1): 54–73. , , , , .
- 2007. Enhanced oxygen delivery to primary hepatocytes within a hollow fiber bioreactor facilitated via hemoglobin-based oxygen carriers. Artif Cells Blood Substit Immobil Biotechnol 35(6): 585–606. , , , , .
- 2008. Convection and hemoglobin-based oxygen carrier enhanced oxygen transport in a hepatic hollow fiber bioreactor. Artif Cells Blood Substit Biotechnol 36(4): 386–402. , , .
- 1986. Operation and pressure distribution of immobilized cell hollow fiber bioreactors. Biotech Bioeng 28: 1064–1071. , .
- 1971. Synovial fluid pH, lactate, oxygen and carbon dioxide partial pressure in various joint diseases. Arthritis Rheum 14(4): 475–484. , .
- 1995. Tissue engineering of a bioartificial pancreas - modeling the cell environment and device function. Biotechnol Prog 11(2): 115–126. , .
- 2009. Challenging small human hepatocytes with opiates: Further characterization of a novel prototype bioartificial liver. Tissue Eng Part A 16(3): 807–813. , , , , .
- 2006. Modelling nutrient transport in hollow fibre membrane bioreactors for growing three-dimensional bone tissue. J Membr Sci 272(1–2): 169–178. , , , .
- 2007. Studies on the use of hollow fibre membrane bioreactors for tissue generation by using rat bone marrow fibroblastic cells and a composite scaffold. J Mater Sci Mater Med 18(4): 641–648. , , , , .